PDA

View Full Version : seeking info re. crop spraying/fire bombing in SA

goaround7
14th Sep 2000, 18:30
Chaps,

My wife (South African) and I (British with SA perm. residency) are coming over from UK next month with hard earned pounds to finish comm licences. ( SA CAA comm exams all done).

Any advice on people to talk to re. a) crop spraying/fire bombing (me) and b) grown up stuff with two engines and PAX (or non walking cargo) (her) ?

I plan to get Ag rating in US next year as it 's much cheaper (no dual Ag a/c in SA apparently ?) but would like to make some contacts.

Thanks

Bogtrotter
15th Sep 2000, 01:35
The main areas to try are as follows:

Rautenbach Aerial Spraying, Virginia Airport, Durban. Owner/Pilot Clive Rautenbach. Use Turbo Thrush and AT502 last time I looked.

Orsmond Aviation, Bethlehem in the Freestate.

Nelspruit airport. I'm not sure who the operators are.

All the spraying is mainly seasonal with the aircraft been used for bombing during winter (May - Oct depending on rains).

Your best route would probably be to try and get a job flying a spotter aircraft (normally C182 or similar) for a fire season and getting your foot in the door. Some of the spotter pilots are employed by the operators others are employed by the various fire protection associations. Biggest bases during the fire season are Pietermaritzburg, Nelspruit and Piet Retief.

goaround7
15th Sep 2000, 12:00
Thanks Bogtrotter,

I've already talked with Orsmond and I'll chase up the others when we arrive next month.

Do you think it's worth doing a tail dragger rating now while I finish my comm or wait a while ?

Regards