PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Ambitions

mrwannabe
18th Jul 2007, 21:06
i'm due to start studying my AS Level exams this September with the ambition to eventually become an airliner pilot. My dad is in the aviation industry and has vowed to support me all the way. the only thing is though i don't know which route to take :ugh: some people have said i can go to uni and gain my PPL and CPL etc at flight schools/airlines....but my dad has opened my eyes to joining the RAF when i turn eighteen. They both have their benefits and downsides and to me it is an extremely difficult decision. I was wondering if anyone had any tips/stories as to the route they took and advice on which would be more beneficial to me. I know this is what i definately want to do as i love flying and have had experience at the controls of a light aircraft. I would be grateful if anyone could help!

kierandee
22nd Jul 2007, 15:43
Have you looked at the integrated route?

It depends what you want to fly really, if you want the raf/fast jet flying then obviously go for that, but if it's only as a route towards airline flying then you may feel you don't want to be tied down to the armed forces for 12 years.

In terms of going to uni and doing all the licences separately, airlines generally prefer candidates with an integrated course so you might be better off going to uni and then training in one go after you've finished. Or you could forget uni all together, but it depends on your personal feelings. As well as that, you could always do an integrated course at a flying school with a degree as part of the course.

Good luck whatever you decide,

Kieran

phillpot
23rd Jul 2007, 16:08
Mrwannabe

Raf is an option but remember the licence you gain will not automatically convert to a civil licence after you leave ,look up "will fly for food 06" he was on my atpl course and is an ex fast jet jockey so will be able to tell you more about the raf.
At 16 concentrate on your a levels and seriously look into any sponsorship schemes that might be around or linked intergrated courses such as "net jets and oxfords" but warn your dad his support might run to £70 k or so.
Good luck .