PDA

View Full Version : Tax Return for CIR Training

richie-rich
18th Jul 2007, 18:20
Hey guys
anyone lodged the tax return this year hoping to get money out of the ATO's pocket for doing the CIR in the calender tax year?
Thanks
Richie

cunninglinguist
18th Jul 2007, 23:34
Richie, unless the CIR was/is a requirement of ur current job, its not a legit claim.
IE:if you took it upon urself to get a CIR to make urself more employable ( good on ya ) its not a legit claim. If however u require a CIR to keep/maintain ur current job or get promotion in ur current job, it is legit.
Of course u can claim whatever u like these days and chances are u wont get queried, but dont forget the 100% fine and 100% repayment plus interest, could be nasty in 3 or 4 years time.
Hope this helps.

richie-rich
18th Jul 2007, 23:48
Thanks cunninglinguist
Much appreciate it. Makes sense though would have been a lot better if we got even 30-40% of the CIR cost back :{

Richie

Chadzat
19th Jul 2007, 02:11
Don't forget its only a deduction- not a claim as such. So you will get back the tax that you paid on earning the money used to pay for the CIR.

How is the taxman going to know if your flying job at the time required you to get a CIR? For instance when I did my CIR I was flying scenics in a 172. Getting my CIR was a requirement to get the NEXT job- but how is the ATO ghoing to know?

Capt Fathom
19th Jul 2007, 03:53
but how is the ATO going to know?

Those words have been used before!

Just ask a certain celebrity, who got a 15 month jail term this morning.

richie-rich
19th Jul 2007, 06:03
thank you all. much appreciate your reply. couldnt claim it anyway when i went to the accountant this morning! :ugh:

Take care
Richie

Howard Hughes
19th Jul 2007, 07:10
Like most government departments the investigations section of the ATO is well understaffed. I suspect they are not going to go after someone unless serious money is involved! Or unless you are a repeat offender! eg: Claims IR, then claims airline endorsement cost. That might get them to sit up and take a look.:rolleyes:

Disclaimer: Howard Hughes is neither an Accountant, nor a registered tax agent, it is recommended that individuals wishing to outsmart the tax office seek sound financial advice, preferably from someone who has at least a high school diploma...;)

Counter-rotation
19th Jul 2007, 13:14
If you require a CIR for your job, you shouldn't be paying for it at all. Your employer should be funding your CIR costs.
This assumes that you are working under the GA award - and if not, you shouldn't be working under anything less.
For f**** sake, when will it stop... :ugh:
You make me sick. :yuk:

havick
19th Jul 2007, 13:34
Doe you guys get a Tax accountant to do you tax returns for you? or do you just do Etax yourself?

Peter Fanelli
19th Jul 2007, 13:36
C-R

I tend to disagree on that. Certainly an employer will be responsible (should be) for renewals but I don't think you can really hit them with the tab for the initial issue of the rating. That's part of getting your qualifications together. Would you go to an operator with PPL and expect them to pay for your CPL?
In my opinion a pilot aiming for a career is responsible for training at least to CPL level, a Command Instrument rating,an initial Multi Engine endorsement and initial instructor rating if you choose to go that route. After all, why would an employer be expected to take a risk hiring a pilot who cannot show proof that he can fly instruments and can handle a multi engine of some kind, be it a Duchess, Cougar, Seminole, Seneca and the like. Back in my day my first twin was the Cougar and I flew it at my expense to build multi time. Only when it was sold did I find a need to get a Seneca endorsement so I could continue to build my hours. They were the only M/E endorsements I ever paid for.

Apart from that, I agree with you. People buying their own endorsements on jets and so on suck.

havick
19th Jul 2007, 13:49
In the sling-wing world, generally speaking you only pay upto CPL with an intial turbine endorsement (B206), sometimes not even the initial turbine is req'd, and then any new prospective employers will generally pay for anything else.. eg once you get your magic 1500 hours PIC then you goto CHC or Bristow and they pay for your type rating and instrument rating. (that's the general progression in the industry, unless you want to do the Niche firebombing work or something else)

I guess because there's so many more fixed wing guys out there short on hours, that throwing money away makes it that much easier to get your CV on the top of the pile. An unfortunate situation indeed..