PDA

View Full Version : What, NO cooling?

Silver Fox
14th May 2000, 13:31
It has become apparent that neither FAJS nor FADN offer any form of LP ground cooling to operators in the unfortunate position of being without an APU. I have twice had the experience where the self-loading cargo sit in unacceptably hot conditions, where the cabin temp. easily reaches 30+C. What is ironic is that in Europe, where the temps are on average, refreshingly cooler, they DO offer the services, at a price of course. And maybe that is the excuse. While the Airport Commitees are spending millions on all the "niceties" INSIDE the terminals, it would be satisfying to see them spend some on the "necessities" on the apron.
While on the subject of FAJS, it is about time that they find somebody who CAN operate the airstairs! The present "operators" who, on the majority seem to come from a "disadvantaged" background, do not have a clue. And that is if you can find them! Come on JNB, get your act together if you want to be seen as a "world-class" airport. :mad:

------------------

skyvan
14th May 2000, 23:14
Amen brother,
Just remember, all of Africa is 3rd world, no matter the veneer.
Even if precooled air were available, you'd either
a) have to pay the operator directly, as well as the service provider, or
b) have the self same driver,who also drives the airstairs, with the same efficiency. (probably park the compressor with the air intake pointed at the airstair exhaust)
Most here seem to survive by opening the rear doors as well, to try to get a through breeze. I'm sure SAA could provide an air supply. Hey we've got yanks in charge, there's always lots of hot air (mostly for free!)

4HolerPoler
15th May 2000, 02:58
SF, next time you're in LHR try and get an LP cart - even if you don't need one - give it a try & you might be surprised.

Silver Fox
15th May 2000, 19:12
Skyvan: Hi! You are right, regarding lack of equipment and lack of manpower. Even worse, lack of ability to work the equipment as I originally mentioned. I would be keen to enquire whether SAA has such LP carts, and whether they use them for foreign ops. Keep me posted please. I'm sure, as you say, all for a small price.

4HolerPoler: Hi! Trust all 'going' well? Thanks for the input into LHR, will put them to the test soon this very week. At least up there one can generally get by with the reasonable OAT, however, not the case over the last few days I see! Enjoy the "ashbash"!!! Cheers,

Off to the beach................SF

------------------

JJflyer
15th May 2000, 20:25
Some airports prohibit APU operation after 30 min on blocks and Allow the APU to be used 30 min Prior to start.
Also some of the warmer Med holiday destinations have severe restrictions on APU ramp use during night hours. Still temperatures soar skyhigh and no aircarts available ... HUH not a lot of fun.

JJ