PDA

View Full Version : Twin Flying PNG?

brown_eyes
18th Jul 2007, 14:09
What are the possibilities of someone with 100 hours turbine, 350 hours twin, 1200 hours total getting a twin gig on a turbine in PNG?

Led Zep
18th Jul 2007, 14:32
Check the latest afap.org.au jobs for the answer. With your hours you could be in. They want C208 pilots but you might end up on the C90. :ok:

R.Cruizo
18th Jul 2007, 14:45
I have not worked in PNG for over 10 years but guys have got starts in PNG with less experience than yours.

Most take the time ( and sadly money) to go up to Port Moresby and have a look around, door knock etc. Importantly alot got a start , either straight away or within 6 months.

I can suggest call a few operators that look like a good chance, then if you can , make the effort to travel up there to meet them and have alook around. You'l make some useful contacts and PNG aviators are always willing to help out , either bunking down for the night, who'se hiring etc.

There are alot of other pilots on this forum who are more up to date with things in New Guinea than I that may offer better suggestions.

Good luck, some of the best and most enjoyable flying in my career was in PNG.

Cheers

RC

brown_eyes
18th Jul 2007, 18:54
What I am looking for is a twin turbine command. The C90 advertised is a co-pilot slot

AQIS Boigu
18th Jul 2007, 20:09
You won't get a gig on a twin turbine in COMMAND straight away...at least 2000TT and some time in country required...you either gotta do

1) some single turbine command time or
2) coey time on a twin

before anyone will give you a command on an otter/bandit/king air...

PNG is not Oz...LSALTs up to 16800ft in unpressurized aircraft with **** weather, **** strips and **** ATC...

...still single
19th Jul 2007, 09:58
The C90 advertised is a co-pilot slot
Yeh, that's what they say to keep the prima donnas away.
Seems to be working so far...

tinpis
19th Jul 2007, 10:55
Would have liked a FO job in my day to learn the ropes
Even though the training was pretty good with TAL, it never prepared you for that extra ****e day (In my case my first solo trip , geezaz H christ it nearly finished right there):uhoh:

Windy Chester
19th Jul 2007, 13:42
What are the possibilities of someone with 100 hours turbine, 350 hours twin, 1200 hours total getting a twin gig on a turbine in PNG in command and survive?

tinpis
19th Jul 2007, 20:25
What are the possibilities of someone with 100 hours turbine, 350 hours twin, 1200 hours total getting a twin gig on a turbine in PNG in command and survive?

About even money if 1000 of the 1200hrs was in PNG :rolleyes:

Sexual Chocolate
20th Jul 2007, 00:02
Still Single! Have they given you a command twin turbine gig in PNG yet?

Captain Nomad
20th Jul 2007, 03:33
Brown Eyes... Weren't you asking about jobs in Alice the other month?

One little tip - don't take it as a personal attack. PNG companies put a lot of work into training their pilots - partly due to requirements by law, partly because you would be dead or bending their aeroplanes if they didn't do it. It is expected that you give them a reasonable return of service in return. It is not a place suited to someone looking for a change for 6 months or a year - come for the hard long haul or find something else. As one operator always puts in their job ads - 'The flying in PNG is a challenge and the living in PNG is a challenge.' Believe me, it ain't everybody's cup of billy tea...

AQIS Boigu
20th Jul 2007, 05:08
tinpis,

agreed...respect to those who went to Fane and Tapini by themselves on their 2nd day in the country...at least that C206 must have been brand new...:ok:

AB

brown_eyes
21st Jul 2007, 01:41
Captain Nomad. Like everybody else I am trying to get more experience and therefore I do ask for info regarding employment.

I didn’t ask for info on PNG lightly. I spoke to several people from an earlier generation and they basically said the same thing a number started with Aerial Tours on the Islander flying to places south of the ranges like Kerema, Daru and Kiunga and being cleared after a hectic week of flying sectors to those ports. After about a month operating out of Port Moresby they were then checked into Tapini, Fane and Guari. Some of the pilots didn’t have any twin experience however they were endorsed on the Islander and went from there. Nearly all of them ended up in the airlines, all of them survived. The one piece of valuable info I was given, was to stay out of cloud.

troppo
21st Jul 2007, 02:03
The one piece of valuable info I was given, was to stay out of cloud.
That is open to debate.

Chimbu chuckles
21st Jul 2007, 06:08
Agreed troppo...I find myself contemplating all the mates of mine killed who were not in cloud at the time..probably 98% of them.

after a hectic week of flying sectors to those ports. After about a month operating out of Port Moresby they were then checked into Tapini, Fane and Guari. Some of the pilots didn’t have any twin experience however they were endorsed on the Islander and went from there.

Initial route training takes several months not several weeks. Tapini and Guari are both relatively easy strips...Fane is about lower middle ranking on the 'difficulty' scale.

Your mates were understating the difficulties and what they went through in training.

If what you have described was typical the fatality rate in PNG would be many times higher than it has been. Many of us spent our first 2 weeks in the rhs just watching before even beginning the formal route endorsing in the lhs...we then spent some weeks under training before being signed out for a few easy strips...then a period of consolidation before more days under training at ever more difficult strips interspersed with periods of solo consolidation. Naturally the periods under training become shorter as experience is gained and when transfering to a new base operating in a different part of the country may indeed only be a week or so long to be checked into a large number of strips..but by then you're talking about a pilot with perhaps 1000hrs in country...and that 1000 hr PNG time pilot is a VERY different pilot to the one that walked off the jet from Australia with 600-1000 hrs 16-18mths earlier.

geeup
21st Jul 2007, 23:21
Brown eye send a resume to Airlink, they should be looking at driver like you
:ugh:
If they ever fly again :E

Windy Chester
22nd Jul 2007, 01:15
Geeup
I believe thet have their AOC back now.

Sharpie
22nd Jul 2007, 03:26
The National PNG this week.

:)By SHEILA LASIBORI
> THIRD Level airline, Airlink can now take to the
> skies, courtesy of
> clearance by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).
> Airlink was reissued with its air operator
> certificate (AOC) after CAA
> was satisfied with the outcome of audit into the
> airline.
> Airlink was grounded since last May 27.
> The move was taken so that the CAA could conduct an
> audit of the
> company's engineers, pilots and ground operations as
> required under CAA
> Rule Part 119.
> Airlink yesterday confirmed that its management had
> met with CAA on
> Tuesday and informed of the AOC, which takes affect
> as of next Monday.
> Airlink previously had busy schedules in the
> Highlands and Momase
> regions.
> It would have been heavily engaged in election
> duties if its aircraft
> were not grounded.
> CAA chief executive officer Joe Kintau confirmed his
> officers had met
> with the Airlink management and advised it of the
> AOC.
> He said CAA was satisfied with the corrective action
> Airlink had
> undertaken.
> "We are satisfied and we have given them six months
> to operate before a
> full compliance audit will be conducted," Mr Kintau
> said.
> He added that this compliance audit would be
> conducted to see if Airlink
> complies with directives from the CAA, emanating
> from the latest audit.
> In recent times, a few Airlink aircraft were
> involved in a number of
> crashes, a couple of them fatal, prompting the CAA
> to mount and audit
> into the airline's operations.
>

markben
22nd Jul 2007, 10:35
Wouldn't say ND provide "quality" training anymore now the ol' skools gone. The new CP is worse than a joke, and DOESNT fly saturdays!!!!

Benjamin Beacon

Cool banana
22nd Jul 2007, 13:40
You could consider North Coast Aviation , here is a bit of an heads up if you are interested,

RE: PILOTS APPLICATION

Thank you for your enquiry about flying in PNG.

North Coast Aviation presently operate a C402C, 3 BN2s and one C206, insurance requirements on the twins are 1000 hours TT and 500 Hours TT on the C206, plus 50 hours in PNG and 50 hours on type.

In September we will take delivery of a PAC 750XL , which we will operate most the time with two pilots.

Pay starts at about AUD20000.00 take home plus accommodation, utilities and after hours use of a Company vehicle plus two return airfares to Brisbane a year.

Pilots usually do at least 750 hours per year in some challenging conditions.

Security is a problem and armed hold ups and carjacking are not uncommon, however we take all care with your safety to minimize the risk.

You would be required to travel to Lae at your own expense to experience the lifestyle and flying environment.

If you are still interested please reply.

Animalclub
23rd Jul 2007, 03:31
markben

and DOESNT fly saturdays!!!!

I don't think it is wise to comment on other peoples' religion... most likely this guy is an Seventh Day Adventist type person, and it is possible to work with them.

It makes it a tad difficult if they don't state that they cannot fly on a Saturday when they join the company. I had to work with this one... not nice!!

banditboy
23rd Jul 2007, 03:50
Gday AnimalC,

If you read Bens reply, I'm sure you'll agree it says NOTHING about religion. I too worked there, and guess who ended up doing ALL the weekend flights, whilst others enjoyed a 5 day week because Airlink dont fly Sundays, probably cause of religious reasons :ok:..... Who said aviation is a 9-5 job? :}

markben
23rd Jul 2007, 06:08
Hi Animalclub,
Well 3 things we dont discuss, politics, sex, and religion! I apologise if I offended you, but I wasn't talking about religion.
The former CP, EK was an SDA and I quite often flew with him on saturdays, and he would wait in the office till every aircraft was on the ground, this new joker is out the door at 5 to 5, on the days he does show up.... get my point :E
Seriously though Brown Eye, if I were you I'd try APNG first (they seem like a good company to work for, and were looking for drivers), or Tropic Air in POM. That's where I would start.
Marker Beacon
(still u/s)

geeup
23rd Jul 2007, 09:07
Now you are all missing the point... Forget APNG brown eye wants to go direct entry captain. :ugh:
He thinks he is ready :rolleyes:
1200TT :sad:
Perhaps he should apply to National Jet for Dash8s on a command in Tabubil

Ricky Bobby
24th Jul 2007, 05:25
Ha Ha MB!! don't hold back mate, tell us how you really feel!:}

Ricky Bobby
24th Jul 2007, 05:48
Seriously though MB, I think they are in big trouble.

Unless they start showing their flyboys a bit more respect, start acting like a professional airline, fixing their balus up and paying AUD they won't be able to crew aircraft soon.

Animalclub
24th Jul 2007, 05:49
markben... I'm not offended... I drink (a good single malt - or anything that's handy) and smoke cigars (when I can afford them!!!)... and I don't mind talking about sex 'cos I'm not getting any!!!

Your posting reminded me of the time that I had a pilot who had signed on the dotted line then later (a good few months later) decided that he was an SDA person and couldn't fly Saturdays. Mind you he didn't mind a beer on a warm day... and when isn't it warm in the tropics. The saga ended up with me being called before the PM of that country to "please explain" why the pilot was suspended... and being lambasted through the local media.

Wonderful times.