PDA

View Full Version : Adelaide Airspace

strim
18th Jul 2007, 13:44
I would like to hear opinions from Adelaide/Parafield training operators on the following NOTAM. It has been a requirement for a few weeks now, how is everyone finding it?

TRAINING OPS RQMNTS
PILOTS OF AWK TRAINING OPS WI THE ADELAIDE CTR, AND VFR AWK
TRAINING TFC BLW A060 WI THE LATERAL LIMITS OF THE ADELAIDE CTR
MUST BOOK WITH THE ADELAIDE SUPERVISOR ON 08 8238 7992. BOOKINGS MUST BE MADE BTN 9AM AND 4PM LOCAL. 24 HR NOTICE SHOULD BE GIVEN.

Is this the norm around other Terminal areas?

I can understand the need for a booking system to accommodate the growing number of IFR training flights out of PF, but can someone (ATC perhaps) explain why it is necessary for VFR flights to book slots 24 hours in advance to fly overhead AD or even ACTY??

CASA have requirements that we expose trainees to CTA, however it seems to be increasingly difficult to get VFR clearances out of PF.

It is a great setback for a fresh PPL student who has planned AD - Strath or AD - TBD to suddenly get refused a clearance at the hold point and sent OCTA when one of the main aims of the lesson was the CTA departure.

It is especially frustrating because the booking system has no flexibility. For example, a training flight is scheduled to depart at 0900: PF - AD - TBD (navaid and CTA exposure). BKN cloud on Mt. Lofty, due to clear at 1100. Our booking was made at 0900 the previous morning in accordance with NOTAM, but due to cloud, the flight can no longer go ahead because our slot is gone. A waste of student/instructor time and of course lost revenue.

What has changed at AD TCU lately? And why can't controllers process a C172/PA28/TB10/etc with a properly filed flight plan with less than 24 hours notice???

richie-rich
18th Jul 2007, 18:14
hey strim
i havent flown for two weeks now but am surprised to see this in the NOTAM. when was it issued? Something I gotta check for when I head down to YPPF in the morning!

Richie

No Further Requirements
18th Jul 2007, 22:34
It says AWK on the NOTAM. Nothing about overflying. I'd suggest that AWK means NAVAID training, surveys, banner tows etc etc. I could be wrong, but overflying or transiting does not come under the definition of AWK???

Hope I'm right.

Cheers,

NFR.

strim
19th Jul 2007, 01:22
Training is AWK, so any training flights in the zone need this 24 PN. Straight from the mouth of the guy on the end of the phone number in the NOTAM.

BrazDriver
19th Jul 2007, 02:23
Same thing in Perth now

Reverseflowkeroburna
19th Jul 2007, 09:28
Yep, PH and ML have had similiar requirements for years now.
Still, it seems like the AD ATCOs are taking it all somewhat more literally. Certainly makes it difficult when VFR ops are at the mercy of the Wx as has been pointed out.
Perhaps the PF schools can sit down and discuss this point with the ATC guys/gals! ;)

beer bong
19th Jul 2007, 10:13
Yes this is fcuked.

No VFR clearances anymore.

How can you go south if the wx is on the hills?

IFR need 24PN if you intend shooting an approach. (they will do everything to vector you visual without giving an approach) WTF

Do they think Adullaide is bloody Heathrow? :ugh: