PDA

View Full Version : Twin opportunities in Perth?

Mecarsa Bitrusty
18th Jul 2007, 13:39
I plan on relocating to the Perth area in the near future and will be looking for twin charter employment. I hold a Baron and Partenavia endorsement. Can anyone please recommend any charter companies in the Perth area?

Cheers :ok:

Terry the bush
18th Jul 2007, 23:29
Try RACWA, or the Aeroplane company, or even Jandakot flight centre.

Terry the bush
18th Jul 2007, 23:31
...........................or if Lyons hasn't gone broke, maybe him. Depends on how sharp your "pencil" is. :oh:

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
19th Jul 2007, 00:00
Mecars,

Mate, if you want serious answers you need to provide more info, for example: TT, IR ?, renewals ?, rough experience - charter in the north / instructing ?, Low Level ?, ATPL / subjects ?, turbine experiene, can you afford $8-9K for an endorsement ? etc etc, all of these are relevant and would help others in pointing you in the right direction.

Mecarsa Bitrusty
19th Jul 2007, 05:27
Thanks LRT

TT 600
Command 200
Grade 3 Instructor rating
I/R, no renewals
ATPL subjects
Partenavia endorsement (12hrs command)
Baron endorsement (no command time on type)

My current experience consists of some instructing and meat bombing on the weekends. I have a wife and kid so I’m not willing to go away up north and are not interested in Instructing anymore. I have thought about a cadet scheme like Skippers to fast track my career but would be happy to get 500 piston twin first. I am willing to get further piston endorsements as required.

Cheers! :)

BrazDriver
19th Jul 2007, 06:40
600TT..... Dreaming, unless you wish to work for nothing at Air Oz or TAC! Even then its only a trickle at the bottom of the pile!

Head up north, more opportunities that start on a single and lead to bigger things.

Skippers cadet a fast tracked career? :} Yeah right!

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
19th Jul 2007, 10:14
Mercarsa,

With your experience and desires, Perth really may not be the right place for you. Your options from where i am sitting:

1) CALM
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=284037
PILOTS
Department of Environment and Conservation WA
Require seasonal pilots for fire spotting
· Australian CPL
· Class One Medical
· No colour vision impediment
· Minimum 10hrs P.I.C on T/Wheel Aircraft
Brief resume of hours and types flown to: Aviation Manager, Fire Management Services
Locked Bag 104, BENTLEY DELEVERY CENTRE WA 61514
Closing date 10 August 2007

2) A Cadetship/Copilot job based out of Perth, will probably cost you the $$$.

3) Instructing, there are a number of Jandakot operators that will pay you the award ( plus or minus ), with fair progression onto B58 etc etc.

4) General Charter - not terribly likely, there is a plethoria of Instructors with considerable higher TT than yours that will get a leg in before yourself.

havick
19th Jul 2007, 10:59
Cut your teeth out bush like everyone else has done before you, or keep building your time up instructing.

There's pro's and con's to both routes, surely you would've researched all this before doing your licence?

havick
19th Jul 2007, 11:01
600 TT, is that Turbine time or total time?

rotcivtolip
19th Jul 2007, 11:14
Total Time......

ForkTailedDrKiller
19th Jul 2007, 12:25
"TT 600
Command 200"

How do you get 600 hrs TT but only 200 Command?

400 hrs dual ??

Dr :cool:

havick
19th Jul 2007, 12:55
I was thinking exactly the same thing

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
19th Jul 2007, 13:08
Gents, play nice:).

Mecarsa Bitrusty
19th Jul 2007, 14:07
Sorry guys, command time was a typo, should read 400!

I’ve been trying to dig up some info on the skippers cadetship, there seems to be a few figures around the place ranging from $20k to 45K, is there any truth in these rumours? I cant find anything on the Skippers website.

With regards to a cadetship like the one skippers offer you could look at it as an investment, I know the returns may be slow at first but with this type of experience like Metro, Braz or Dash 8 time, it will have to help open doors in the future?

Any feedback on the Skippers scheme would be welcomed!

Cheers

Aussie
19th Jul 2007, 17:10
Know a guy who went through Fast track in perth and is now doing the Dash8 Endo through Skippers, think all up around 35K he was saying... Expensive way to go!

bazza stub
20th Jul 2007, 00:31
I heard there are some guys being taken straight in with b:mad:ger all hours (not cadet scheme and no money up front). One guy recently even went in straight to the Dash-top operator though. Worth a try. :ok:

Mecarsa Bitrusty
20th Jul 2007, 01:27
Hey Baz

Sounds promising. Any idea of this guys experience, TT, Twin, ATPL’s?

Erin Brockovich
20th Jul 2007, 04:32
Mecarsa Bitrusty, the Skippers cadetship is a white elephant.

Does it sound too good to be true? The answer to all your prayers?

All this will do (apart from adding more debt) is stall your career and tarnish your credibility in the future. It might even close doors that were once open. Do a search on the subject and decide.

Do you want to be a metro F/O for life? You can only log ICUS with training captains as far as I know. I think they would be flat out training newbies rather than building your hours for an ATPL.

With your hours (which are quite low, but these are the times) you could be on a twin up north pretty quickly and have you 500multi within a year. Hell, all you need now is 250multi for Qlink and 350 for Rex anyway.

I have now led you to the water………

Terry the bush
20th Jul 2007, 10:29
Yeah Buddy, I agree with Erin, you are best served by going up north and slogging it out there if some of the mobs in Perth I mentioned before dont work out, Skippers is just a dream until you have done the hard yards. Keep your money and just be patient. :(

Mecarsa Bitrusty
20th Jul 2007, 10:51
Ok point taken re the cadetship!

So lets go back to the original question. Is there any piston operator that doesn’t involve instructing based at Jandakot or Perth?

I would love to bash around up north for a while but I’m not super keen on leaving the wife and young fella to fend for then selves. As a family man I would love to stay in Perth and not desert my family.

All I’m after is a twin gig to build up my experience so one day I can move on to bigger and better things.

Towering Q
20th Jul 2007, 11:04
Take the family with you.... they might even enjoy it.

BrazDriver
20th Jul 2007, 11:31
Erin you are on the money.

GA isn't a family friendly place. If you have a twin gig in Perth you will be earning so little that it wont be the best move for you family! Most of what you will be doing is couch warming or cleaning the fleet for free with a flight or 2 a week.

Capt Fathom
20th Jul 2007, 11:51
All I’m after is a twin gig to build up my experience so one day I can move on to bigger and better things.

And therein lies the problem! So is everyone else!

High-Bypass
20th Jul 2007, 14:13
Mecarsa,

With your experience (or apparent lack of) forget Perth. Go north and take the family with you.

You might be surprised to find that there are other pilots in the same position as you. I know i was, but because of the time i spent up north, my family are better for it and so am I.

havick
20th Jul 2007, 20:21
You and everyone else mate.... Take a number and get in line, remember there's more guys out there that you can poke a stick at with more hours....

And no, I am not looking for work, I am a helicopter dude...

Sorry to sound like an a$$hole, but I guess someone has to be captain obvious here..

Sacrifices have to be made, your airline job/hours won't be handed to you on a platter, when I was flying out of Central Australia plenty of guys brought there families with them.

chad sexington
21st Jul 2007, 09:02
There are a bunch of navajos and barons parked at Perth airport these days, they must need someone to fly them, times have changed.
You should try to find out who the operators are, a yellow one there belongs to CASAIR...Central Air Services I think they're called.

Towering Q
21st Jul 2007, 13:25
The "yellow one" belongs to Complete Aviation Services.

chad sexington
21st Jul 2007, 13:34
Yep thats them!
There is a bunch of pistons parked around there, dunno if they are theirs too but I would think they would be entry level twin jobs..............

Mecarsa Bitrusty
22nd Jul 2007, 04:03
Thanks for the info!

After a little bit of digging around there seems to be a fleet (3 or 4) Navajos at Perth, they park near the Perth flight centre, a mate of mine seems to think they do overflow work for Skippers and Network etc, any ideas? Also can anyone shed some light on the 2 Barons at Jandakot that operate from Singapore college end?

Any info appreciated.

Skystar320
22nd Jul 2007, 04:39
Quote:

The "yellow one" belongs to Complete Aviation Services.

Should you mean incomplete?

neville_nobody
22nd Jul 2007, 06:32
I think you will find that 98% of the work in Perth is mining related so as a result the minimum experience requirements will significantly higher than what you have. You need to go to Kununurra or Broome and fly a single for a while.
No mining company will charter aircraft with 600 hour pilots no matter how tough times are

rotcivtolip
22nd Jul 2007, 09:20
So the actual mining companies have a say who pilots the planes? And not the Operator?

neville_nobody
22nd Jul 2007, 09:43
Yep the pilots must meet the minimum experience requirements set out by the mining company, which in most cases these days will be higher than the minimum requirements to get into a regional airline. Depending on who you are and what experience you have they may grant an exemption if you fall short in a particular area.

RFDS contractors work pretty much the same way. The RFDS may also require you to do a test flight with one of their C & T guys if you are short of the minimums.

But you ain't flying noone with 600 Total............

Terry the bush
22nd Jul 2007, 10:11
"Incomplete"? I thought they were one of the better ones in Perth, they seem to have a good rap.:confused:

Swanie
22nd Jul 2007, 10:13
As I'm planning to head north at the end of the year, I would be keen to know what the ball park pay for an entry level position is, and then your first twin job, along with living expenses?...
Having read an article in the saturday paper claiming rent prices (Karratha) are rediculus, some over $1000pw!!!:mad: Which I assume would be more than ones entry level take home pay...:ugh:

rotcivtolip
22nd Jul 2007, 11:44
Yep the pilots must meet the minimum experience requirements set out by the mining company, which in most cases these days will be higher than the minimum requirements to get into a regional airline. Depending on who you are and what experience you have they may grant an exemption if you fall short in a particular area. Does that apply to single pilot ops only?

Islander Jock
22nd Jul 2007, 11:58
rotcivtolip,
From my experience with charter tenders (outside Australia), they always specify minimums for all crew members. How long have CPLs been getting fast tracked into RH seats of Metros or similar? Maybe the minimum requirement set by the contracting company might put the skids on this down the track.

rotcivtolip
22nd Jul 2007, 12:25
Yeah, makes you wonder about the Skippers cadet regime, surely they all don't have the minimum hours.

777WakeTurbz
23rd Jul 2007, 05:07
Thats an awfully long line you will be joining mate... :}

Though things are looking up on the employment front these days, at least on the east coast from what ive seen...

Good luck with whatever you end up doing... :ok:

Turbz :cool:

nevil bartos
23rd Jul 2007, 08:16
What is wrong with the Skippers cadet scheme? I'm going for it myself, it will get me out of bugsmashing and meatbombing. I have had resumes in up north for months and haven't had any fonecalls at all. Why bother if they can't be bothered getting back to you!:ugh:

Islander Jock
23rd Jul 2007, 08:37
Nevil,
It's too bad that meatbombing doesn't pay except for maybe food and drinks at the DZ. Some of the best flying experiences going are to be had dropping skydivers. I did it for a number of years but gave it away because sadly the tosser running the last DZ I flew at fancied himself as a LAME. :(
It has been said time and time again. Unless the operator knows you, it is no use sending CVs by fax, post or email. You have to be on the spot and ready to go. I know it's not nice waiting for that phone call that never comes but that's the way it is.

rotcivtolip
23rd Jul 2007, 08:54
Don't Skippers do a lot of FI/FO mining runs? Surely the cadets on the flights wouldn't meet these so called minimum requirements?

Can anyone shed more light on this? How dead set are these requirements anyway? (not only for Skippers, but any Operator that flies miners around)

Towering Q
23rd Jul 2007, 14:04
One particular mining company requires 2000 TT and 500 multi on a two pilot, piston twin job. The second pilot is only required to be endorsed on type.

Good luck with your fishing exercise Mr Bartos.:ok:

nevil bartos
24th Jul 2007, 01:24
Q

So you recon cadet schemes are ok then? Given the second pilot needs only an andorsement.

Mecarsa Bitrusty
24th Jul 2007, 04:49
Does anyone have any ideas of where I can do a Navajo endorsement in the Perth area? None of the major schools at Jandakot can help and I gave up after one of those kid Instructors put me on hold and left me hanging! Where is customer service going these days?

Towering Q
25th Jul 2007, 10:06
Mecarsa, I thought those Navajos parked up out front of the Perth Flight Centre were operated by Star Charter but after checking their webpage they have every aircraft except a Navajo pictured...go figure.:confused:

Nev, don't have an opinion either way on Cadet Schemes.

vee tail
26th Jul 2007, 08:49
For all piston endos yo can see a ATO, Trudy Robins. She could help with valuable GA info too. And thats right bout jobs up north... you gotta be there
Having said that you can no longer shake a tree and pilots will fall out.
I know one operator in Broome cannt get people to fly the fleet:ok:

the wizard of auz
26th Jul 2007, 11:00
Same one I was with? Or the one I went to?

vee tail
27th Jul 2007, 04:50
Thats the one wiz! they havin a mad exodist i believe soon. Actually if you are gone then may be it aint MAD just an exodist:ok:

the wizard of auz
27th Jul 2007, 10:58
:E Thanks mate. :}
maybe I should go back..... to bloody cold down here. :eek: I would have stayed, but wasn't getting enough hours to eat properly. that was my only complaint with the outfit. :ok:

Terry the bush
28th Jul 2007, 02:53
There might be "some" twin hours as long as you don't mind being "practical" with your W&B, or saying no and putting up with the consequences! :ugh:

Mecarsa Bitrusty
28th Jul 2007, 02:54
Can anyone help with info on the Paul Lyons operation at Jandakot? I’m after any information from current or previous pilots regarding, hours flown a month, aircraft condition, rosters, pay etc?

Any information greatly appreciated.

Mecarsa Bitrusty
28th Jul 2007, 03:00
Mr T Bush

Can you please PM me any info you have on the operation, it would be greatly appreciated. :ok:

Terry the bush
28th Jul 2007, 08:51
Mecarsa

I PM'd you some stuff but just fro the record,

Pay-SFA
Roster-Put your life on hold and wait for a phone call
Aircraft-OK ish (if you like s**t not working but safe to fly)
Flying- See pay!

Long story short, GO ELSEWHERE!!

Grivation
28th Jul 2007, 09:44
Without a doubt the most painful operation I have ever worked with or for. I lasted 6 hours!