PDA

View Full Version : Africa Indian Ocean Islands

AAL
18th Jul 2007, 06:56
This somewhat longshot, but maybe out there some who are familiar and aware of cargo volumes and requirement Europe to and from the Africa Indian Ocean Islands Seychelles, Mauritius, Reunion, Comores and Madagascar.

More recently stirrings and rumours of intentions to consolidate and tranship cargo to and from these destinations over Nairobi.

Any advice and opinions will be appreciated.

BelArgUSA
18th Jul 2007, 15:46
These islands off the E coast of Africa (as well as most of Central Africa) do depend on air cargo for anything from rolls of toilet paper to toothpaste.
xxx
The problem is not air cargo from Europe, extra flights could be made if so required. The problem is the local distribution from the airport (besides the local crooks who play at being importer, and the other crooks who are customs officers and customs agents).
xxx
I am tired of seeing news reports about Africa and these islands begging for help, when, after flying 110 tonnes of "emergency" supplies flown in a 747 on behalf of the UN or UNICEF or other charitable organizations, piling-up on the side of the airports, to be "sold" by crooks to the local population.
xxx
As far as organizing the entire area for air cargo traffic, I guess nothing can be done until solutions are found at the local distribution level. What did these nations and islands achieved by "independence" in the 1960s or 1970s...? Nothing really. It is time that the former EU nations with former colonies start to "colonize" Africa again, and bring health care and peace.
xxx
Madagascar could be a hub for such air traffic, as well as Maputo or Dar es Salaam, even Mombasa, provided some "clean-up" is done at the local level.
xxx
:)
Happy contrails

merlinxx
19th Jul 2007, 15:21
Heck someone not in the UK/Euro zone who understands something about East Africa. Neither HKMO or FQMA have the up to date infrastructure in place, though FQMA could within a short time be revitalised, given it's pre independence through-put. HKJK only has the prospect of increasing tonnage and has plans for increased infrastructure. Every op is going to need good feeds out to the islands with the added security of cargo at transit point. HKMO & FQMA ain't got that right now. If I'm wrong please correct me.

CR2
19th Jul 2007, 18:16
Was in Madagascar some years ago, doing a charter for AF. Total shambles. Offloaded roughly 10 pallets, reloaded about the same. 4 hours on ground.

Reunion a little better.

ex dog
19th Jul 2007, 20:49
Do you not think that (quote fed up with africa crying for help) that most of the african countries do not cry ,its the NGO'S(non goverment organisations) and a certain person from northern ireland ,who scream for the help ,quote me if im wrong but most people in africa get on with their day to day living and are happy with what they have the UN only do what they are chartered to do by the NGO'S

BelArgUSA
19th Jul 2007, 22:22
The problem with Nairobi, where ok cargo handling exists, is the airport elevation and temperatures duting daytime, severely reducing uplift during these hours. All freighters should be scheduled to depart briefly before or at sunrise time.
xxx
Each time I took a 747 freighter out of Nairobi, we had to stop for fuel in Cairo or Tripoli, on the way to Europe. That means another long day and extra 2 or 3 hours to manage the stopover. Find a decent runway near sea level, on the coastline, with adequate cargo handling and security guards who are not in the cargo "sales" business, is the solution.
xxx
I could dream of a full 747 freighter, flown non-stop from Europe, landing in Mombasa, or Dar es Salaam 3 times a week, and transfer the freight into two or three 727-100/200 freighters which would route to the Comoros or Madagascar as needed, and as they get back, hours later, fill-up the 747 back for a direct flight to Europe, with some 80 tonnes.
xxx
The airlines. airplanes that could do that, exist. It is just that the ground infrastructure is not there. That is where the problem is. I even envisioned same idea from Campinas Brazil, to Luanda and Maputo or Beira, since Brazil has some good export ties with Angola and Moçambique.
xxx
:)
Happy contrails