PDA

View Full Version : Air Madagascar

Saturn
18th Jul 2007, 04:40
Latest on this seemingly nice outfit? Read they are doing well. Any contact info etc.. Thanks!;)

theRealFlyingNomad
21st Jul 2007, 17:58
Air Madagascar?
If Lufthansa wouldn't be behind them, it's a long time they would have closed their doors...
...not sure you are looking in the right direction...
The situation of Air Mad is a as the whole country, an economical disaster...
PS: do you speak french, type rated and are you Malagasy? no? so good Luck...

Busher
3rd Aug 2007, 12:28
AVGAS is sold 2,7US$ a litre! Are you sure u wanna come here? Better keep out Madagascar if u wanna have a chance to fly. Not even talking about wages and other difficulties! :{

MungoP
5th Aug 2007, 08:21
I'm heading that way on a short term contract... would be interested to hear about the 'other difficulties' and life generally... it is a tourist destination after all... while at it.. anyone know how easy it is transiting Zan.. ? Overnighting, Jet A1 availablility... not everything in Jeps can be taken as gospel.

theRealFlyingNomad
6th Aug 2007, 19:05
Well, after 9 monthes in the country, I can tell you it's an awsome country...really awsome...and the people are just fantastic!

BUT...:rolleyes:

The biggest crap in Mada is the economy, and except Zimbabwe, (and maybe Iraq for the moment) I don't know any other place where it could possibly be worse! (I actually wander why you go up there!...will you be flying for this Canadian Mine compagny out of Fort Dauphin?)

The second problem for you, might be "french"...If you don't speak Voltaire's language, you might be in trouble to ask for your bread, the malagasy's themself (except in big towns) don't speak much of french already, don't even have to tell you how "good" is their english... (did you ever tried to understand a Zebu speaking chineese? no?...maybe it's easier...)

And another important point is to be SURE all you vaccinations are up to date! Madagascar, by its unique situation and ecosystem, is a bit like a medical dictionary: everything from A to Z is present down there...even some fancy stuff your mama told you it wasn't existing on earth anymore when you were a kid...

So, conclusion, If you go there, you gonna have a HELL of a FUN! REALLY! but just be ready to spend aaaaaaaaages to travel by minibus between towns, and to be at the borderline of your self-control while waiting for your Visa to be done, your parcel at the post, your letter to be stamped or just your chineese soup in your hotely...

Enjoy, and keep us updated! I miss that place so much!

Busher
7th Aug 2007, 05:49
Not much to add to what RealFlyingNomad has posted. Nomad has been in this country for 9 months when I have been here for 9 years. You will love it but be prepared to some unusual experience. Nothing is like Madagascar. It is unique! Flying is something different. You are on your own in the bush with an HF radio. The only thing you should fear is malaria and cysticercosis! Be very carefull with fresh fruits and vegetables. As far as French is concerned you'd better do like we, non English speakers, all do, learn foreign languages! That may help sometimes!

matoto
7th Aug 2007, 13:38
After 3 years spend in Madagascar , just one regret : I 'm far from this nice place now.

Enjoy your stay, nice people, nice country.

rakoto
7th Aug 2007, 18:50
Matoto,

Can I ask you who did you fly for in Mada ? was it Air Mad or private ? I ve heard a private flies a Beech 90 or 200 reg in Mauritius ?
Thanks and rgds.
Rakoto

Busher
8th Aug 2007, 12:19
Hi Rakoto,

The BE200 is registered as SKY of FLY. The private owner also owns a Piper Chieftain and a Piper single engine. THe company name is COTONA in Antsirabe. The owner is Mathias Ismail. I do not know whether he is looking for pilots actually. He has hired two French nationals for many years.

ShenziRubani
9th Aug 2007, 05:01
and Mathias is a pilot himself and has been flying the single-engine for ages.

matoto
9th Aug 2007, 07:59
Rakoto,

I was flying for Aeromarine on twin piston (BE55, C310, PA31) and Beech 99 for few hours, then I go away.
For the Beech 200, Busher say all.

Bye

theRealFlyingNomad
10th Aug 2007, 15:39
Do you guys know what happend of CatovAir? do they still operate out of Maurice? and the 1900 they deseperately tried to base out of Ivato? does it fly now?

matoto
11th Aug 2007, 08:46
As far as I know Catovair still exist but without Aircraft at the time, the 2 Beech 1900 are now flying in France for another company.
Catovair still waiting, from Mauritius governement, to be designat 2nd Airlines of Mauritius to open flight to La Réunion.

theRealFlyingNomad
13th Aug 2007, 09:52
I see,
So they are STILL waiting from Mauritius Governement for more than TWO years to give them a Go!...

Feel sorry for them...their bosses might be furax by now!

Thanks for the Information!