View Full Version : Require Information

hoodzy
11th Jan 2000, 11:32
To who ever may be interested,
i presently fly a C402 and BN-2 in Papua New Guinea. I am interested in moving to any part of Africa to fly, purely for the experience and adventure!

I don't have GAS time, but have a tt of 2200hrs, with a 1000 com multi.

Could anyone give me information or contacts that may be of benefit.

Much appreciated
Hoodzy

Jav
11th Jan 2000, 20:48
Hi there Hoodzy, I too am looking for a job in Africa... but why do you want to leave Papau New Guinea? I would like to work in Papau New Guinea any advice for me? Any advice for a Dash 8 pilot with considerable time who's a non Oz national? Any information would be much appreciated.
Best Regards,
Jav

hoodzy
12th Jan 2000, 08:16
Jav,
have been in PNG for twelve months, will never regret the time, but its all got too much; plus the earliest i will get onto a turbine (twin otter) is December due to a contract with my present company. The crimb in PNG is getting out of hand as well.

For a Dash 8 captain the money i led to belive would be around 70,000 Australia, and they get tours as well. Every 3 weeks they fly back home for three weeks.

There is really only one company that opperates Dash 8, Milne Bay Air. Chief Pilot is Ray Ross, Ph (675) 3252011, this is adminstration. I'm not to sure what the bo is if your not an Ausrtralian for work permits, i doubt there would be a problem.

Good Luck. Any info on Africa and Turbine jobs??

Cheers
Hoodzy

Jav
12th Jan 2000, 17:22
Hey Hoodzy,
Thanks for the info on PNG appreciate the help. Well I don't know of alot about African aviation but I can tell you that the Guvnor would be the one to ask... there are job opportunities that will be available in the near future on the new Ayres 7000, it's a turboprop about the size of an ATR 42 with excellent handling and STOL capabilities... with the time you have (and an ATPL) you might land an immediate PIC position you never know so it's worth a shot, his email is [email protected]. Send him your resume and he'll forward it to the right department... If you further tell me your nationality and what exactly you are looking for I might be able to help you find a job in some other place other Africa... Well for now I'd like to thank you once again for you help and the best of luck.. should you need any further advice or information regarding aviation feel free to email me.
Cheers,
Jav

Jav
12th Jan 2000, 17:25
oh Hoodzy i forgot to tell you... if you're an Oz national and you have considerable BN2 time... there are a lot of opportunities in the Carribean where you could fly the BN2 for maybe six months and then on to a King Air, or a BE1900... let me know what you're after and I'll try and help you as much as I can.
Jav

hoodzy
14th Jan 2000, 12:10
Dear Jav,
i can only thank you for your trouble and assistance. Just a bit of info, i am an Australian, with the right of Abode for Great Britain & I have about 7OO+hrs on BN2. I have heard that its tough getting work permits for the Carribiean. A friend of mine just lost a job over there because they said they were needing to hire more locals.

What i am looking for is a Turbine job, obviously pic would be great, but with no experience i carn't expect too much. I'm not too bothered where i go for work, as long its turbine, exciting, and getting reasonable money would be nice. I only started flying for the adventure and travel aspects, and to use brain rather than braun as i am a Refrigeration and Airconditioning mechanic by trade.

My email address is [email protected], be good to hear from you. Who is Guvnor? i will email the address you gave me, but will wait to hear from you next.

Thanks for your assistance
Hoodzy

hoodzy
14th Jan 2000, 12:29
Jav,
good to hear from you, thank you for you assistance, greatly appreciated.

A few details of who i am: i'm Australian, with the right of abode for Great Britain, Australian ICAO ATPL, 700+hours on BN2, 300 on 402/310.

I have heard that its real hard now to get work permits for the Carribian, and it takes FOREVER. I have just recently had a friend lose a job over there because they needed to hire more locals.

What i am looking for is a Turbine job. PIC would be great, but carn't expect too much. I am happy to go just about anywhere for the adventure/experience. I am open to bonds and so on. Reasonable pay wouldn't be so bad ither. I only started flying for the travel/excitment, and to use brain rather than braun. I am a Refrigeration and Airconditioning mechanic by trade. I am 34 as of next week.

My email address is [email protected], be good to hear from you Jav. Who is guvnor?, and i will email the address you gave me after i hear from you next.

Thanks for you assistance, very much appreciated.

Regards
Hoodzy

Jav
20th Jan 2000, 00:07
Hey Hoodzy,
No prob... I think i can help you out...... try Oman Air... i don't know their addresses but they are constantly acquiring ATR's and they don't mind Aussie citizens. Another place to try would be Abu Dhabi Aviation on the Dash 8 as an FO Capt. Cal Fryer (Chief Pilot) fax: +97124449081 and phone: +9712444920... let me know how it goes with this one.
Now let me see where else I can help you out...... well for turbo props obviously the place to go is the US... but you probably don't have a work permit. Anyway I'll dig up some more infor and let you in on it... Take care and don't hesitate to email me if you need any more info.
Jav

hoodzy
20th Jan 2000, 11:24
Jav,
thanks for getting back in touch with me, and i shall call the company mentioned within the next 24 hrs. I shall keep you posted as to what they say. I have also just posted you an note under the middle east section trying to get incontact with you.

Thanks for your help, and if you get to it, send me an email, [email protected]

Regards
hoodzy

Flying Bean
21st Jan 2000, 22:08
Please see the Flying Safari thread

Boomerang
24th Jan 2000, 17:05
hoodzy,

I am not familiar with any PNG operators, where would I start looking. I have 1100TT, 500M/E, Australian with CIR.Thanx

hoodzy
26th Jan 2000, 03:14
Boomerang,
Papua New Guinea has had a pretty bad time over the loast few years, there are not the jobs around like there use to be. There are several companies that are looking from time to time, with your experience the best best for you would be to contact Airlink in Madang, their ph is (675)8522933. They are about the only company that would hire without the requirement of not having PNG experience and that would give you the best progression. Most new 1000 hr pilots start with North Coast Aviation, but since you have 5oo multi they may consider you, your tt is a little low, but they have in the past hired your tt experience. All other opperators require you to come up here and have a look around and meet with the chief pilots.

Stay in touch if you require more help

Regards
Hoodzy

Boomerang
26th Jan 2000, 18:45
Thanks hoodzy

Wampur
1st Feb 2000, 09:22
Hoodzy ! (or Grant ?)

Leaving PNG ? Why, with 1000 + PNG multi hours now you should be looking forward to an RPT turbine slot at the end of this year ?
In too much of a hurry, or tumas trabal ?

The security situation is no better in Africa, and you'ld be back at the bottom of the pile again there.

A lot of good people stay PNG for quite a few years. There should be no need to go elsewhere at the moment, after all everyone in PNG knows you.

Yu bulsitman, o ?

Baron Captain ?
1st Feb 2000, 11:03
G'Day,
I would like some info on PNG If i could.
I have about 600 hrsTT with about 350 in a B58 Baron, From doing charter in Australia. What are my chances of getting a job up there even if its to start in a single? And would I have to stay in a single long?.
I enjoy my job but there is not alot of work at the moment..
Cheers.

Firestorm
3rd Feb 2000, 03:48
Try Screiner in Holland,or BenAvia in Geneva (Twotters and Porters and Dash 7s0 or Zimex in Zurich (Twotter and Porters). Idon't have any E addresses, but Ben Avia I think have a web site.

hoodzy
7th Feb 2000, 11:08
Wampur,
trying to figure out who you might be? Never the less its not that i don't like PNG, I do, but i have always wanted to work within Africa. Yes, by the end of the year i will hopfully get a Turbine slot, touch wood, but i guess impatience, and the travel side of things get the better of me, thanks for your piece.

Hoodzy

Fixit
7th Feb 2000, 18:29
Baron Captain, try Airlink Tel:+675 852 2933 Fax:+675 852 2725. They operate BN2, Bandits, Twin Otters. Tropic Air is another one but I don't have their details. They operate c206,Chieftains and Caravans. Do you have any information on jobs in Oz? My problem is low command time. Any info is greatly appreciated.