PDA

View Full Version : West African Airlines - Gambia

Archim
28th May 2007, 15:45
Just heard through the grapevine (gossip line) that a new 737-200 operator is headed to Banjul. WAL Gambia...seems as though there are Nigerian investors. Planes are said to have been purchased through SkyKing in the US.

Am off to do a bit of checking to see what else I can gleen from this information. If this is true then am guessing they will be looking for drivers.

Do Nigerians know how to run an airline?

Archim
30th May 2007, 12:32
Appears that these "gentlemen" are the same group that left passengers when World stopped the flights in and out of Lagos. World was not paid by the travel company and they stopped the flights. One might think that if these Nigerians failed to pay World then they may also fail to pay any other employees or contacts.

NDB17
30th May 2007, 17:31
Achim,

Are you sure it's the same "gentlemen"? I know the guy involved in the World deal, and he is not thinking aviation anytime soon. I seriously doubt there is any new operator from Nigeria going to establish anything in the Gambia.
Possibly it's Slok purchasing additional aircrafts. The principal of the airline has just recently fled nigeria to settle in the Gambia. He has access to money to buy airplanes at the moment.

Archim
30th May 2007, 18:15
not wrong, it is indeed the Rite Time Travel folks.

NDB17
30th May 2007, 21:58
Archim,

Not trying to second guess you. The Ritetime fella is financially challenged at the moment. He must have gotten some billionaires trying to become millionaires to invest in this new scheme. Will be interesting to watch them from the side lines.

Gambia-track
31st May 2007, 00:54
OK guys this is the deal. Yes there is a new operator that is going to start operations based in the Gambia. We are a primarily US managed company with some management positions being filled by individuals from various West African countries including Nigeria. I am not going to outline the financial deal involved to get this moving forward, but will say that it does include some Nigerian investors that live in the US. I personally have worked on this for over four years and have had an incredibly difficult time finding ANY investor that was willing to put money into West Africa. We are projecting 4 each 737-200 aircraft by the end of the year with one of them being a freighter. Initial operations are planned to start in July with 9 locations and expand to 20 from there. As far as the Rite Time connection goes, yes, we do have one individual that is involved on the marketing side only, that was working with Rite Time.

Remember, this is a start up company and if you are interested in working with us or simply giving advice, it is all welcome. But don't just talk crap from your backside. Anyone that has worked in West Africa for any period of time will know that between politics, tribalism, graft, and corruption, it is a challenging environment, but if you can work your way through, it is also a truly wonderful and amazing place to spend time.

Mike Snyder
Managing Director
WAL Gambia Ltd.
West African Link

aerotransport.org
31st May 2007, 02:00
Didn't you expected to start this past February with a 727-200F obtained from Kitty Hawk ?
/ATDB

ContractFlyGal
31st May 2007, 03:08
I copied this from another post, it looks like Gambia-track did originally post that they were getting a 727F from Kitty Hawk.

Gambia-track
Instead of being 'just another number' I could order a Personal Title and help support PPRuNe

AC purchased

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like WAL just put money down on a Kitty Hawk B727-223F. Buying from a broker in Florida. Operations to begin 1 February flying the ECOWAS countries plus a couple of border ones.

NDB17
31st May 2007, 03:39
GambiaTrack,

No insults intended. Just was refering to the Ritetime principal.

Gambia-track
31st May 2007, 15:03
Thanks I appreciate it. I don't take it as an insult. This whole deal has been very challenging and it is very personal too me only because I have been working towards it for so long. You are correct with the Rite Time issue though, I spoke to the VP Sales for the carrier that contracted with them and they had one version of the deal while the Rite Time guys had another version of the deal. I am sure that the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Archim
2nd Jun 2007, 11:17
Anyone considering going here might not want to get too excited. The Civil Aviation in Gambia seems to know nothing about them, at least the guy I talked to didn't. Had a flight through Banjul and checked in with them.

So, I am not jumping up and down about this new carrier just another group that is headed for tits up.

Gambia-track
3rd Jun 2007, 03:06
Funny you should say this. Maybe whomever you spoke with did not want to say anything or doesn't know the details. 3 members of the GCAA Flight Safety are leaving Gambia via Dakar to Atlanta on Sunday arriving on Monday the 4th to review our maintenance facility in California and to meet with the FAA and our Director of Maintenance. Then to Miami to inspect the first aircraft. Then back to Atlanta and home. The aircraft will remain N registered with full maintenance and tech support.

There are still some details and we may delay the start date by 15 to 30 days but Hey! what can you do.

ZAZOO
2nd Jul 2007, 14:22
Hi Gambia Track.

How does a pilot get his cv through to u guys please. any ideas.

u can pm me.

Cheers
Zaz

Gambia-track
3rd Jul 2007, 15:46
Zazoo,

We are still fighting the final funding issue, but the GCAA has been to the US and given approval to the maintenance programs and support, done a test flight and approval on the first aircraft and are paitiently waiting for us to get off of our duffs. Send your CV to me at [email protected] with licenses and any other info you think we need. Keep it simple and make a one page cv if possible plus your licenses. Send it pdf and I will direct it to the appropriate people. No specific promises but everyone that is interested will get a look.

Thanks for the interest

Mike

Archim
4th Jul 2007, 04:00
Is there a start up date for the airline in Gambia? Pilot training set? Cabin crews in place? Approvals for cities you plan on serving? Ticket counter space?

Are these guys ready to go? From what I hear when I am in Lagos, this is a hit and miss operation with lots of bumps along the way.

Is there anyone else involved in this company other than Gambia Track?

ZAZOO
5th Jul 2007, 09:41
Thanks G-T will be in touch.

zaz

Flying Touareg
5th Jul 2007, 12:40
Zazoo your services are still needed in Bluetail:ok:

fzrr0
5th Jul 2007, 13:14
I believe Safair has above mentioned Aircraft in both passenger and freight configs? maybe they would part with them ander present circumstances?

ZAZOO
6th Jul 2007, 08:35
Hi there Flying T,

Yup still very needed here at B3 :D.

But got a few good mates hanging around who need a job :sad:.
might as well pass on the info.

zaz

Archim
17th Jul 2007, 22:57
Anyone know if that new airline out of Gambia ever got off the ground?

FCKNG AIRTAXIMAN
4th Sep 2007, 21:26
if you have dash8 type, or dhc 6 you have possibilities!!