PDA

View Full Version : OPS/dispatch training for wannabe UK dispatcher

EMA747
17th Jul 2007, 20:17
Hi,

I am 23 and have no experience of the aviation industry but I am very interested in becoming a flight dispatcher/ops, but am not sure which way to go as the career path seems a bit unclear for someone like me who doesn't want to work in the US primeraly. I want to start off working in the UK if possible but I don't really mind OZ, NZ Canada.

The options seem to be to get a licence from either Sheffield, do the distance learning course from avtech2000 or go to the Emirates college in Dubai.
There seems problems with each though. Sheffield is a FAA licence obviously but the scholls sounds good. The avtech course is not industry recognised from what I have read and is a bit outdated though I don't know if this is still the case?
I read on here that the Emirates licenece although a Dubai one might be more recognised in the UK/EU and OZ and NZ. Is this the case?

What direction should I go bearing in mind that I don't really want to work in the US and I only speak English so Europe is out (at least for the moment)?

Any help really appreciated. :)

Andy S

PS - I know this has been discussed at length but I wanted to get an as up to date answer to my question as possible.

merlinxx
19th Jul 2007, 15:44
Before you go anywhere, strongly suggest you get City & Guilds 7280 under your belt. Simple and good grounding for someone with nil knowledge. May seem basic, but then everything starts as a basic item. Check www.city-and-guilds.co.uk. input aviation in the search. Good luck

groundhand
23rd Jul 2007, 15:38
A couple of the bigger UK ground handling companies offer NVQ 2 & 3 in Dispatch.

EMA747
24th Jul 2007, 23:03
Who are these companies?

jwv5555
26th Jul 2007, 21:12
Hi,

Have you heard of Jeppesen Academy? Jeppesen is based out of Denver, Colorado and they are the ones that acutally have a strong relationship with Emirates Aviation College. I have known a quite of few people who actually used Jeppesen and they have complimented highly on them. Jeppesen also has a school in Frankfurt Germany, and several other locations which seems to suit your needs. If you need more information you can contact Jeremy, he is the Training Center Manager for Jeppesen.

Email him at [email protected].

Regards,

Kenneth

merlinxx
27th Jul 2007, 06:07
I'll back Jeremy's post, I also know people who have used this facility. If you're in the UK, you can call Jeppesen UK to get more info. No not an employee, just know it well. Good luck.

EMA747
27th Jul 2007, 20:45
Thanks for the info on Jepessen. I have actually had a look at their website and it kind of gave the impression that their courses were for people who were already employed in the dispatch business. Is this not the case then? I am new to the aviation world (in terms of work, have been an enthusiast for as long as I can remeber) and am only 23. I am look for a licence as a way into the industry really. Would the Jeppessen school fit my bill then?

Is the school in Frankfurt for German speakers only? I only speak German to GCSE standard! ;)

Andy S

boredcounter
29th Jul 2007, 02:45
'I am new to the aviation world (in terms of work, have been an enthusiast for as long as I can remeber) and am only 23.'
At your age all enthusiasm had been knocked out of me. By then I was running 30+ aircraft and hating every one that went tech. Lost all interest in aircraft at about that point.
15 years on, it is my trade, sometimes wish it wasn't.
FAA qualified at the school you state, working to get C&G when roster permits. (Exams 2 x per year distance btw). A whole year lost through roster shortfall.
Get an entry level job and find out if you like it first before you commit mate. Then sell your qualification process to the employer.