PDA

View Full Version : turn co- ordinator???

air_cowboy
17th Jul 2007, 19:39
q) an a/c is a left hand turn indicating rate 1 and the ball is to the left indicating a slip.

a) the a/c is turning at less than 3 degrees/sec.
b) the a/c is turning at 3 degrees/second.

.... and y???

cheers!!!

captain_rossco
17th Jul 2007, 20:57
you're slipping to the inside of the turn, add rudder pressure into the direction of turn and decrease the angle of bank.

rate one turn 3 degree per second= 2 min 360, can't help but feel that slips going to mess with things.

I'm inclined to go with b) but i''ll get back to you after egypt thing finishes on discovery.

Regards

CR

captain_rossco
17th Jul 2007, 21:13
okay, back from the discovery marathon, those egyptians, bloody incredible I tell thee.

Anyways, yep, back to the question,

You'll be turning at 3 deg/sec as a result of the aircraft being in a slip, stick your hand out in front of you and bank it left, then yaw it slightly to the right, it'll make sense.

Airspeed wise, to get standard rate turn take the airspeed, knock off the last digit, add 5 and that'll give you the angle of bank (roughly) for a standard rate/rate one turn.

120kts
120 (take off the 0=12)
12+5=17

Bosh, 17 degrees of bank for the standard rate turn.

Up to about 250kts this equation works fine for practical purposes.

Regards

CR

air_cowboy
17th Jul 2007, 21:50
did u just change answers???!!!
coz u got it right the first time.... the book says the answer is that the a/c still turns at 3 degrees /sec ...
i thought that the slip would mess with things too...coz you dont have the right angle of bank for the speed to maintain 3 degrees/sec... right???

smith
17th Jul 2007, 21:51
I always thought it was +7

air_cowboy
17th Jul 2007, 21:55
it is ... 10% TAS + 7

captain_rossco
17th Jul 2007, 21:58
i always heard it was +7 for mph +5 for kts (below 250kts).

captain_rossco
17th Jul 2007, 22:01
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, have i got this one wrong? Never mind the angle of bank/airspeed etc, does the a/c still turn at 3 deg/sec, thus slip/skid making no dif?

Regards

CR

phillpot
17th Jul 2007, 22:07
I was taught tas/10+7 as well.

This question has got me digging out the books and writting and not submitting a couple of replies cos I keep changing my mind.
Firstly I came up with the same answer as CR, makes sense when slipping the nose of the ac is outside the turn, then I thought if you were using the turn co-ordinator as your reference for the turn it wouldnt matter because the t/c measures the angular acceleration about the normal axis therefore you would still be changing direction at 3 degrees per sec.

air_cowboy
17th Jul 2007, 22:16
with you on that logic...
coz u could still be turning at 3 degrees/sec ... and the ball just telling you wether you are in balance or not....
hmmmm??
the book says (b)

Life's a Beech
17th Jul 2007, 22:26
Capt Rossco is right.

The aircraft is turning at 3˚ per second. The slip is irrelevant.

The turn co-ordinator is a rate gyro. It only indicates a rate of turn, either yaw or (with less sensitivity) roll. At a constant angle of bank the rate indicated is independent of co-ordination of the turn.