PDA

View Full Version : What is APRAM?

myassisgrass
17th Jul 2007, 13:29
Does anyone out there have current information on APRAM? Is it still in existence? Can pilots or engineers still be engaged by them? Who owns the operation? Are they based in Cyprus? Is this a CHC shelter company? What is CHC's current policy regarding APRAM?

Revolutionary
17th Jul 2007, 15:20
http://members.cox.net/jasptastic/images.jpg

That's apram!

scooter boy
17th Jul 2007, 15:41
A Beautiful example of the Silver Cross variety if I am not mistaken Revolutionary, I applaud you :D.

sycamore
17th Jul 2007, 16:25
A PRimary Ambulatory Machine..with big wheels and independent suspension, for going up and down kerbs and paths....used as a childs introduction to `Chelsea Tractors` aka 4*4`s ,for the well-heeled .............!

MamaPut
17th Jul 2007, 17:54
APRAM is Aviation Personnel Recruitment and Management, a shell compnay set up in Cyprus by the now all-but defunct Schreiner Airways in Cyprus for employment of expats on overseas contracts. There are still a few people on their APRAM contracts since CHC took over the company, but all new hires now get employed by CHC GO.

So, in answer to your question, yes it still exists, but most of us think that CHC would like to phase it out. No one still in APRAM is being actually forced to leave, but they're trying to make it much less attractive to stay in APRAM than join CHC GO. No, you can't join APRAM. The good old days of Schreiner and APRAM have gone along with its more personal feel and standards :{.

VSOP
17th Jul 2007, 18:36
Sycamore, Scooter boy, Revolutionary
When all of us in this industry, when talking about APRAM, we have to stand up.
It was the only "organization in the world" since ever, that , even had more than 80 ( eighty) pilots "dropped" from Iran during the revolutionary transition on 79/80, never failed with basic salaries for everybody, while standing for another position.
Recently, some of us, due some banking mistakes, never felt any absence of $$$, due the George's competence.
Old times, very good old times.
I miss Schreiner very much.

Phone Wind
17th Jul 2007, 21:41
VSOP,

How right you are. A great company, named after a real person, but now ruined by being reduced to a set of letters, meaning nothing. Schreiner, CHC, RIP :{

Revolutionary
18th Jul 2007, 04:45
VSOP, ok, that's apram too.

One of my co-workers was with Schreiner in Iran and very much shares your feelings of the 'Goede ouwe tijd', being grateful too for the heads-up that the Shah regime was about to fall, allowing for a dash to Saudi Arabia and safety.

I'm too young to have had a chance to work for them but do feel some sense of loss over that little bit of 'Hollands Glorie' now missing from the industry.

Phone Wind
18th Jul 2007, 05:31
Revolutionary,

If you're really 38, you could have worked for Schreiner or APRAM right up until 2005 when the final CHC takeover happened.

Remember Schreiner went on working in Iran long after the fall of the Shah's regime. Even after Andrew P was put under house arrest good old Nabil kept the company going. They eventually both ended up in Nigeria and were both managing directors of Aero Contractors, but Nabil wanted to keep on flying. He's still flying Boeing 737s in Nigeria now. :ok:

Revolutionary
18th Jul 2007, 15:29
Phone Wind,

I'm only just now at the point where my qualifications meet or exceed the requirements of international companies like Schreiner. When Schreiner was absorbed by CHC I was flying an R22 around the traffic pattern, trying to master the Art of the Normal Approach...

To me, the Iran stories are all secondhand but quite interesting to hear.

Phone Wind
18th Jul 2007, 17:32
Revolutionary,

Sorry you missed the opportunity to work for a great outfit. They were rarely the best payers, but always a good company to work for and you could get to work in some interesting places. I for one, mourn their passing because these mega- companies like CHC and new Bristow have no soul and no personality. It's sad that you can no longer be visited by the man whose name your company bears and find that he knows who you are. In those days we were people, now we're just employee payroll numbers. Nowadays we are all just dictated to by faceless accountants to whom flying is just another money business, like garbage disposal, stocks or car sales. Naturally men like Bob Schreiner and Alan Bristow were in it to make money too, but aviation was in their blood, whereas these modern CEOs just have icewater and balance sheets running through their veins and none of them has any soul or personality :uhoh: