PDA

View Full Version : A320 Vs B737 - which is harder ?

Jannik23
17th Jul 2007, 12:26
Hello

I have a 737 rating already but have applied to an airline that pays for A320 rating and is interested in knowing how hard the A320 rating is compared to the B737NG rating

Jannik

Blinkz
17th Jul 2007, 17:27
Having a 737 TR probably makes it harder since as I understand it Airbus have renamed EVERYTHING different from the boeing.

I have neither TRs so can only go on what I've been told by friends :ok:

jetpilotataltitude
17th Jul 2007, 18:37
Having flown both, and now only flying the Airbus, I can honestly say once you get past the first few days of training both on ground in the sim and on the line, you will very quickly realise what a bag of old bones even the 739 is.

Airbus thought long and hard about the design and working environment we spend sevral hours of each day in, and they got it right first time. Remember back in 1984 when Airbus first brought the A320 to the market, the best Boing could do was 732!!!! Need I say more?

If they´re paying, go for it, and remember from now on all the rest of the Airbus fleets are just three days away!!!!

A great plane, brilliantly designed and engineered! Enjoy!:ok:

BitMoreRightRudder
17th Jul 2007, 19:39
I've done the 737 and A320 TRs in the past two years. I thought the 320 course was far easier, in particular the level of technical knowledge requirement and the groundschool phase.

boogie-nicey
19th Jul 2007, 16:19
I would have thought the whole indoctrination of the airbus philosphy would have created another layer over the existing operational culture. Wouldn't this just make it harder to take in during the type rating course especially for the initial student. Very intrigued to learn what the differences between these 2 types really is.....:hmm:

Halfwayback
19th Jul 2007, 17:42
Boogie

I think you put your finger on it - it is a different philosphy! This is reflected in the way you manage the aircraft - and here the Airbus has it.

As to the original question, the airbus course is totally CBT with a monitor screen, a key board and mouse and a headset. It sounds awesome but I found it logical and - if you have the time - you can take it at your own pace.

By contrast when I did the 73? course it was death by overhead projector and an alcoholic instructor who struggled hard after lunch. The Boeing system videos were gut-wrenching with a drab American accent.

That said, I got a higher mark in the tech exam!

HWB

Sky Wave
20th Jul 2007, 10:48
Halfwayback

The 737 groundschool is also CBT these days.

SW

boogie-nicey
20th Jul 2007, 12:51
But is the B737 cbt 'useable' or is it a quick patch over a wound type of approach. I have heard the Boeing stuff used to overhead projector style but things appear to have changed over the years as you'd expect anyway. But still the Airbus philosphy seems to somewhat harder to digest than the straight forward Boeing way of doing things.... what be happy to hear from anyone with experience on this (I haven't done neither :oh:)

cavortingcheetah
21st Jul 2007, 04:34
:)

Halfwayback...

That would be the ground instructor who used to tap out the alphabetic answers to the questions in morse code during the exam then?
:D

moggiee
24th Jul 2007, 00:02
My brother reckons that he hand flies the A320 series much more than he ever hand flew the 737 or 777 - mainly because it's so much nicer and easier to fly.
Not having flown either myself, I take his word for it!

Of course, that has bearing only upon the flying side of the TR but is relevant nonetheless.

BelArgUSA
24th Jul 2007, 01:46
Well, I am a Boeing pilot... ex 707-727 now 747 captain...
Going from the 727 to 707 was easy, same cockpit, switches where they belong.
Then by accident, I had to transition as captain on DC-8s, from 707s...
Back then, Douglas was dirty name for Boeing drivers.
All was named differently in the DC-8...
Then I went to the 747, all was like my old 707-727s... Vocabulary was same.
So were the AOM and the QRH...
xxx
Now I am check captain 747 and in training management.
I even occasionally teach classroom and simulator for 737 (yet never flew one)... I can fake it great in a 737 simulator... all is Boeing design.
Thinking of it, I might do a 737 type rating (without prior training)...
xxx
Then I shake hands with our A310 and A340 boys...
I dont understand their technical language...
Lucky I can spell the Airbus name...
And that little joystick intrigues me... is it a sex symbol...?
xxx
Honest, I love the looks of a A340... sleek machine.
If I fly as passenger in one, and the F/As inquire on the PA "Is there a pilot in the cabin?" - I would have no clues as how to bring one to a safe landing, should the pilots be incapacitated. I never played with electronic games, sorry.
xxx
:)
Happy contrails