View Full Version : Neighbours war with wounded soldiers families

Pages : 1 2 [3]

6Z3
2nd Aug 2007, 07:59
Now that the price of properties in the Gray's Lane area is set to plummet with this news, perhaps if they haven't already completed SSAFA should reduce their offer price by a few 10s of thousands. The savings could go towards widening the road, and the multi-story carpark in the back garden;)

Pontius Navigator
2nd Aug 2007, 08:09
6Z3, that's what I was thinking but thought it a little insensitive.

Anyway, what next? Gurkas?

Roland Pulfrew
2nd Aug 2007, 08:15
Bl00dy Hell Tigs.

Posted at 0210 and edited at 0418. I have just read the last few pages. The "live commentary" had me smiling and on the edge of my seat in tension, and I knew the result from last nights BBC News - superb!!

Tigs your post was fantastic and I must admit I had a bit of "grit" in my eye. I had to go and make a coffee just to get out of the open plan office.

A fantastic result and my congratulations to all on ARRSE, PPRuNe, e-goat and RR etc etc for their efforts in coordinating and publicising this:D:D. I wish I could have been with you all in the pub last night but your efforts simply make mine look insignificant. Please could we have a smiley taking its hat off as I now do to all of you.

Ladies and Gents, that would appear to be 2 victories for common sense and decency, this and Talbadur Pun VC, orchestrated by those serving and who have served, their families, friends and supporters. What else can we achieve?

Downwind.Maddl-Land
2nd Aug 2007, 08:23
Congratulations to all those involved in yesterday's victory for doing the right thing. Well done indeed! Now the Blue Team has won the war, we must not lose the peace. Despite the strong urge to throw a brick through the window of the nearest NIMBY's residence with a message tied to it saying “WE WON”, future incumbents of the SSAFA accommodation must be whiter than white in their conduct (as I am sure they will be) and show their erstwhile opponents just how selfish and wrong they were. Don’t delude yourselves; anything untoward that happens in the area from here on in will be attributed to the SSAFA site! Not trying to bring anyone down, just stating the bleeding obvious that can be overlooked in the euphoria

I like the post #517 by Nigegilb about the birth of a political party! First Gurka Pun and now this! Based on common sense, honesty, integrity and democracy it could be a bit of a winner! It could put the current odious 'what's in it for me?' brigade back under their stones. Have you ever met a poor politician in recent times?

Yellow Sun
2nd Aug 2007, 08:57
Congratulations to all those involved in yesterday's victory for doing the right thing. Well done indeed! Now the Blue Team has won the war, we must not lose the peace.

I watched the SSAFA representative and Simon Weston on BBC Breakfast give an excellent account of themselves. No triumphalism, no NIMBY bashing but a dignified and professional performance with a clear statement of the facts. Well done to them and to eveyone involved.

YS

airsound
2nd Aug 2007, 09:50
Perfect!

airsound

Wensleydale
2nd Aug 2007, 09:57
As long as it doesn't get confused with the Gateway at the other 'Norton! :hmm:

nigegilb
2nd Aug 2007, 10:02
What grips my sh!t is that these faceless, spineless people were happy to collaborate over letters of objection in the beginning but to a man they were afraid to stand up for their cause when the press got involved. Great Britain? You must be joking. These people would be more at home in the Vichy Govt. It is they who should be bending over backwards to make sure "Norton House" is a success. No mass letter of aplogy from them today.

Sue Norton should not have had to bare her soul in the way she did. She is a bigger person than all of these feckless people put together. Time to move on it may be, but the taste in the mouth is still there.

An Teallach
2nd Aug 2007, 11:27
It was quite poingnant that the camera angle on the webcast meant that the first councillor to voice reservations about the application was framed by chest-down shots of 2 chaps in wheelchairs, one with a prosthetic arm.

Tigs- you missed your vocation. I was having to stifle a wee greet on reading your write-up. Norton House certainly would get my vote if Sue, Peter and SSAFA are agreeable.

scientia in alto
2nd Aug 2007, 11:41
Norton House.... a fitting tribute which has my full support. :ok:

SIA

XL319
2nd Aug 2007, 11:44
This also has my full support. I don't know how the neighbours can look themselves in the mirror in the morning. These guys risks their lives fighting for "democracy and freedom" and this is how they want to repay the guys.
Justice prevailed in the end!!!

An Teallach
2nd Aug 2007, 11:55
For anyone who's wondering what we're all wittering on about from last night, the webcam recording of the meeting is now available here:

http://www.molevalley.ukcouncil.net/site/webcasts.php#pp8554

I found it interesting that it was the officials who were swaying in the public opinion breeze (then gale!) from one side to the other and the elected councillors who were keen to view the matter in strict planning terms by referece to the declared policies. Intuition tells me that, if anything, it would have been the other way around.

kbf1
2nd Aug 2007, 12:54
Well done all, it was exactly the result that we had hoped for.

Right then, now it's all over and done with that'll be another 3 year hiatus on my part from PPRuNe.

My regards to InFin, Danny, 10W, £6 and all.

This calsign out to you.

Smudger552
2nd Aug 2007, 13:03
Well done all, couldn't do much from the sand pit but signed petitions etc!

Just one thing, is there an appeals process by which the objectionables might try to over turn the laudable decision?

Smudge

scientia in alto
2nd Aug 2007, 13:04
I thought I’d just highlight some of the speeches from the webcast:

Jonathan Jenning - SSAFA spokesman. I think he made a conicse 3 minute speech with barely a breath
37 minutes

Mrs Sue Norton – Wife to Peter Norton GC. Another emotional 3 minutes, further charging the atmosphere in the audience.
41 minutes

Cllr Homewood – challenging the proposed time limit.
58 minutes

Cllr Laddel – Moves for the motion to make the application permanent
1hr mark

Cllr Salmon – Seconds the motion, with another eloquent speech
1:03

Cllr Dixon – takes the baton on.
1:07

It continues in this vain, with only one or two supporting those absent objectors. I would recommend that if you have the time you watch the whole meeting. It was a real triumph and something that I shall not forget for some time.

SIA

Apologies for poor spooling of any names
http://www.molevalley.ukcouncil.net/...sts.php#pp8554

An Teallach
2nd Aug 2007, 13:22
Smudger

Only applicants have a right of appeal from a planning committee. The objectors are, in the words of the prophet, stuffed!

Strictly Jungly
2nd Aug 2007, 13:23
Fantastic News!!!

As an ex-inmate of HC, I can only congratulate the council on their correct decision making process.

As for the objectors - sickening!
SJ

Top Bunk Tester
2nd Aug 2007, 13:33
Congrats to all involved, would love to have been there, but followed it from the desert with baited breath. All I could do was sign the petition. Wholeheartedly agree, it has to be "Norton House":D:D:D

A Sayers
2nd Aug 2007, 13:37
Bravo Zulu. Over the last six years since my own injury, albeit in civil life rather than my military one, I have indulged in selfish tears several times. Sue, Tigs, PPRUNERS and some of the councillors supportive comments brought them on again but for a much better purpose. It just goes to show, along with the campaign for Mr Pun, that sometimes the good guys can win.

4mastacker
2nd Aug 2007, 13:56
I missed last night's events through having to work to keep senior management in the style to which she.... etc. It was a brilliant result and one which does immense credit to the organisers. Having read through the many posts, there are a couple of words which, to me, sum up the whole approach of those marvellous people who contributed so much to the success of SSAFA's application - determination and dignity. Well done. :D

Pontius Navigator
2nd Aug 2007, 14:36
You know, that petition is still climbing IIRC, now 45830 :)

Rocket Chucker
2nd Aug 2007, 18:32
Well people!! I have been breaking my back to get on to the site since I arrived back from Dorking this a.m. only to be dragged off for a little light retail therapy by OC Household. :ugh:

Just got back home and read through all the thread from when I left yesterday afternoon. Even though I was there it makes a bl**dy good read. The ending is fantastic.

I don’t really have much more to say than has already been posted apart from reiterating what an honour it was to meet the guys from HC who had turned out to support, heroes every one. :D:D

I can’t think of a more fitting name for the facility than Norton House, particularly after Wondermum’s gritty performance, absolutely awesome and extremely moving. :D:D

I think we do need to build bridges in the local community. Tigs, brilliant idea about the flowers. I’m up for it when it happens. :ok:

As far as the post event social was concerned it was fantastic to put faces to names at last. I personally thought we should have all shot off to 36 Grays Lane for a Barbie and a garden disco!!! :E

What’s next? Well there’s the petitions for Military Hospitals and the rights of G
Gurkhas to come to the UK to live. Ours is still going at 46,197 when I posted this!!! :)

Considering I had s*d all to say I’ve waffled on a bit.

Regards to one and all – bring the next one on!

Per Ardua

Rocket Chucker
2nd Aug 2007, 18:34
Just gone up by 50 in the last few minutes!!!! 46,247 :ok::D:ok:

sittingstress
2nd Aug 2007, 19:25
I am led to believe that another possible name being bandied about for the house is

FIRKHAM HALL

I was dined out of the RAF Regt on Monday night after 24 years of gassing members of the RAF and more recently talking to aircrew in an impolite fashion.

Getting involved in my last couple of weeks, on the periphery as one of the leafleters and being able to meet the movers and shakers at Dorking has confirmed my belief that there are is an abundance of people in HM Armed Forces and members of the public who care enough to put their heads firmly above the parapet. I thank you all.

It was a pleasure to put names to faces and I too will wear my newly acquired PPRUNE wings with pride.

Per Ardua

ss

Ladies and gentleman who sorted this out, well done

cargosales
2nd Aug 2007, 19:39
m5dnd and airsound

Please check PMs.

CS

Pontius Navigator
2nd Aug 2007, 19:46
Rocket Chucker, yes still climbing at 100+ per hour. Interesting.

Nice to keep that graph going. Mean to say, only another 150k military personnel to go.

shavian
2nd Aug 2007, 19:58
Graduated from HC in 67 (boring sports injury) but so proud at the outcome. Was involved in a similar planning dispute last year, ironically on the other side, objecting to a montrous development of 61 (!) luxury apartments on the site of 3 fine Edwardian houses in our road, so I can see this from both sides, but was still disgusted with the local resistance, especially as no demolition or hassle was to be involved. We won on appeal by the way, and I learned a lot about the weird and wonderful ways of planning law. WELL DONE SSAFA

Samuel
2nd Aug 2007, 20:06
I've watched the meeting but I gather there was no coverage of the speakers before the councillors or am I missing something?

MReyn24050
2nd Aug 2007, 20:10
We won on appeal by the way
It would appear that things have changed however if the following is correct.
According to:-
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/1018892034763.html
"Only the person who made the application for planning permission can appeal."
So the residents will be unable to appeal against the decision made last night.

Sven Sixtoo
2nd Aug 2007, 20:34
Been a bit busy with broken people up hills. but I gather SSAFA won.
Mike, well done in bringing PPrune onside the ARRSE campaign.

ARRSE.

You are marvellous.

Do you want us to pass the exact co-orsd to the mud movers?

Great day.

Sven

Radar Command T/O
2nd Aug 2007, 20:51
There is an "Op NIMBY" polo shirt being discussed over on ARRSE - about £25 per shirt (details page 14 of thread), with a significant % to SSAFA.
Sounds a bit OTT. There's something to be said for being magnanimous in victory. Right now we have the public well on side, but this would almost certainly be seen as gloating.

(Edited for poor grammar)

MightyGem
2nd Aug 2007, 21:11
First chance to post since hearing it on the midnight news when I got in last night. Excellent news!! Well done everyone!!!

All I seem to get on the webcast is the councillors speaking. What about the other people?

Archimedes
2nd Aug 2007, 21:20
RCT/O - The shirt was planned as a fund-raising mechanism before the hearing, and hasn't come about as some sort of post-event gloating item.

The original post (made a full 24 hrs prior to the council meeting) has been edited more than once, and while I can see why the impression that it's meant to rub the residents' noses in it might arise from reading what's there now, that's emphatically not the intent behind it. The overwhelming sentiment on other threads on the subject on t'other means is quite clear that magnanimity is the order of the day.

Chugalug2
2nd Aug 2007, 21:43
All I seem to get on the webcast is the councillors speaking. What about the other people?

MightyGem, if you move the fast forward slide to min32 and then watch through to about min45 you will get the real meat of the evening. First the change of recommendation of planning from refusal to approval (albeit temporary which becomes permanent on amendment later), then the concise SSAFA rep's presentation, then WonderMum's very moving testimony. The rest as you say are the councillors.
I would like to take this opportunity to pay tribute to our own very special "WonderMum". The very raw emotion that she showed, despite trying her best to overcome it, was the most moving part of the hearing. It is the voices of those who have had their world turned upside down by losing their loved ones or having them return severely injured or disabled that brings the real moral authority of what we have tried to do here. The amazing courage shown by WonderMum, Chappie, Kam, Tapper's Dad and others is simply humbling. You all inspire the rest of us to keep trying for what is right. With your continued involvement we shall go on doing just that!

Double Zero
2nd Aug 2007, 22:21
I am as delighted as anyone, but bluidy disgusted to hear on BBC news this morning " the accomodation block was approved " & later on I think ( was busy ) ITV 1 " the hostel "...

Exactly the points so well proven wrong, but now thoughtlessly trotted out after the non-efforts of ' researchers wiv a degree in meeja studies '.

Can't help thinking this either needs to be kept an eye on in future - generally - or a bit of a chat to the media, without starting a whole campaign just now !

----Of anyone out there reading, anyone, has any event you know the real side of ever been presented correctly ?

I'm not supposed to be anti media, but in this context I damn well am !

airsound
3rd Aug 2007, 06:33
Chugs, you make an extremely good point.
It is the voices of those who have had their world turned upside down by losing their loved ones or having them return severely injured or disabled that brings the real moral authority of what we have tried to do here. The amazing courage shown by WonderMum, Chappie, Kam, Tapper's Dad and others is simply humbling.

Moral authority is indeed set by these heroes, and to be associated with them, even peripherally, is a huge privilege.

airsound

alwayslookingup
3rd Aug 2007, 10:29
And so it comes to pass.

I refer to my previous posts on the subject, in particular 242, 263 & 289. I decided to keep quiet in the lead up to the meeting as I felt I’d said all I needed to at the time. However, if I’d been a betting man I’d think there’d have been a better than even chance of the application going through on the night. Certainly, if it had come before me as an elected representative I would have passed it with some very pointed comments on the propriety of the planner who had presented me with this report on this application with this recommendation.

I understand the recommendation was changed from refuse to grant with conditions. That in itself was a complete cop out. If it satisfied the conditions for a temporary period then, by definition, it satisfied them for all time.

But what of Ms Westphal, the Council planner who’s unilateral rewriting of Policy Env22 to suit whatever ends she had in mind caused the furore in the first place? How convenient for her to be on holiday on the day of the meeting. One trusts that on her return she will have the civvie equivalent of a caps-on interview with her line manager. Granted this was a very unique set of circumstances, unlikely to ever occur again and it was the objectors who caused the controversy with their representations. Nonetheless, this whole sorry episode has cast Mole Valley Council in a very sad light and I’d hope the chief executive and his or her senior management team will be putting in place some kind of procedure to ensure this never happens to them again.

And why, do we ask, did Ms Westphal make the recommendation in the first place? A thought occurs. Do you have a Freedom of Information Act in South Britain? We do up here. If so, could I suggest someone writes to the Chief Exec of MVC requesting a copy of all correspondence from Ms Westphal re 36 Grays Lane. If that came out it could be illuminating.

Finally, for now, this time next year there’ll be a house in Grays Lane with people staying there from time to time. And guess what, they’ll do exactly as every other person who lives there does. They’ll probably go to the shops, play with their children in the garden, have a summer barbie, take a walk on Sundays to buy a paper, have a chat with anyone else they meet on the path. The one difference for these people is that their lives will have been affected by a cruel and vicious cataclysm that they volunteered for but that was not of their own making. They and their loved ones will have been terrible victims of man’s ability for cruelty that doesn’t exist anywhere else in the animal kingdom. One trusts that their time in Grays Lane will help move them down the long path they are talking back to some sort of normality. One hopes that in time the residents of Grays Lane, and others, will find it in their hearts to put this all behind them and be big enough to help them on that journey. Henri Dunnant, who founded the Red Cross after witnessing the horror of the battle of Salferino in the Crimean War, said, "Everyone is responsible to everyone else, for everything." I quite like that. Maybe the world would be a better place if a few other people took it on board.

An Teallach
3rd Aug 2007, 10:38
This is just a feeling, but a very strong one, alwayslookingup. I think you may be being a tad unfair on the delightful Miss Westphal. She was exceedingly helpful to our side and I got the impression she made the original recommendation under orders and even then couldn't bring herself to write that SSAFA's proposal would significantly affect the neighbours' amenity.

The telling bit is the ludicrous 'compromise' recommendation of a 2 year temporary permission "to allow SSAFA time to find somewhere else!" (NIMBY writ large) which was dreamed up while she was absent. It seems the paid officials of MVDC are far more political and swayed by public opinion that the elected politicians!

alwayslookingup
3rd Aug 2007, 11:00
AT, you've actually answered your own point. Ms Westphal and her colleagues are paid officials of MVC and are supposed to be nonpolitical. Their recommendations are supposed to be on policy grounds only. They are salaried employees of the Council. As such their recommendations can be made free of the concern of being re-elected every four years, or whatever term they serve. Granted I am looking at it from a particular point of view, but if it was established that the planners were prevailed upon to make a recommendation they felt was against policy, then they have failed in their duty to their Council, their elected members and the electorate. Just a thought.

An Teallach
3rd Aug 2007, 11:05
Always

I think I was stating what I see to be the case, not asking a question. ;)
I don't think she made the original recommendation under orders from a cllr, but from a higher paid official. Perhaps the one that dreamed up the ludicrous compromise recommendation.

Wader2
3rd Aug 2007, 11:12
very unique set of circumstances, unlikely to ever occur again and it was the objectors who caused the controversy with their representations. Nonetheless, this whole sorry episode has cast Mole Valley Council in a very sad light

Actually I think it put the MVDC in a very good light. They were faced with an issue, the issue became a national one with international overtones, they rose to the occasion, they handled the huge crowd and provided, as far as I know, first rate facilities, and handled the whole think in a highly professional manner. Remember their position as councillors is not their day job.

alwayslookingup
3rd Aug 2007, 11:27
Points taken, one and all, water under the bridge, let's move on etc etc. Best of luck to those involved in Grays Lane now. Keep us posted.

Rgds.

cargosales
3rd Aug 2007, 11:53
Cross Posting from ARRSE where Woopert posted the following

"I've just received an email from the chair of the planning committe, Cllr Chris Hunt. I am going to break with the edict of not copying individual, personal replies as the last paragraph of his email, I think, ought to be shared for the benefit of all.

Cllr Hunt says
"I have been overwhelemed with messages of support and thanks from your colleagues; although I know that you have agreed a policy of not copying councillors' emails on your pages, could you please pass on my appreciation for those thanks, and tell your contributors that every message has been forwarded on so that all the staff who dealt with the matter, including those in IT, or setting out the chairs, or posting letters of representations etc know their role was valued.

"I know that some politicians like to grab the limelight for this type of thing, and that tars the lot of us, but we all know how these things really come together."

Woopert continues

"Well done all of you. I have to say I am immensly proud of everything that you guys have achieved, and proud to be associated with the site that has enabled people to achieve it.

"I don't think any of us who started out moderating and managing the board [ARRSE] 5 years ago would ever have imagined that we could not only influence events in the way that we have but also (to add a perspective) motivate enough people to fill a large stadium to sign a petition in support of a cause that has touched many of us in such a remarkably short space of time"

Well said woopert

CS

Wader2
3rd Aug 2007, 12:44
Through 47000 on the petition now :)

PPRuNe Pop
3rd Aug 2007, 16:13
always....

We were discussing your inputs after the meeting and you might like to know that we all considered that you gave us the feeling you knew what were talking about and that it would REALLY happen. It did, just as you said.

Your contributions were most welcome and I think if you came this way you might a few friends with a welcoming pint in their hands.

Thank you very much.

PPP

airborne_artist
3rd Aug 2007, 16:20
I realise that SSAFA has a very successful fund-raising programme, but how about a "Friends of Norton House" sub-group? I'm sure there are many who would like to pop £25 pa (plus tax relief) into such a fund, and who could be invited to an annual bash each year at the house to a) raise more funds and b)connect with the local community.

I know that not all who signed the petition would join, but I reckon we'd be proud to help out with the cost of providing the transport, and have our name on the side of the minibus.

I'll post this on arrse as well.

An Teallach
3rd Aug 2007, 16:28
Good call PPP

Always' contributions were the key element in setting this on the right track.

MightyGem
3rd Aug 2007, 16:35
MightyGem, if you move the fast forward slide to min32 and then watch through to about min45

Thanks, Chugalug. I was going by the index points on the website and wondering why none of the other speakers were mentioned.

gingernut
3rd Aug 2007, 16:40
I only became aware of this story after seeing it on the TV yesterday. I was trying to see it from both sides, the extra traffic and all that, but the residents protests just didn't seem to ring true.

In fact, the whole episode made me feel a little ashamed.

I suspect that the issues were more to do with a fear of disability than anything else.

west lakes
3rd Aug 2007, 19:15
There is an "Op NIMBY" polo shirt being discussed over on ARRSE (http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/p=1433005.html#1433005) - about £25 per shirt (details page 14 of thread), with a significant % to SSAFA.

Fpr further info also look at p18 as they have anew supplier, t shirts also.
Looking like £10 per shirt to SSAFA

Will be available with PPRUNE logo/flash on a sleeve

PS Requests so far suggest about £1500 from this in donations & £2000 approx in ARRSE kitty left over

alwayslookingup
3rd Aug 2007, 20:29
PPrunePop, very many thanks for your comments (post 638), much appreciated. Glad you felt the benefit and only wish I'd been able to do more. Remember, there are always systems and procedures out there, key is to make them work for you, not against you.

Unlikely I'll make it down for a beer in the near future but trust you'll all enjoy lots together nonetheless.

Same offer as before, any pruner who'd feel the benefit of a private conversation (as several have) please PM. I can't gauruntee to be able to help personally, but I'll usually be able to get in touch with someone who can.

Keep the faith, one and all, and remember, next time, let's do it to them before they do it to us!

ALU.

BATS
4th Aug 2007, 07:04
West Lakes

If there is a reasonable sum in the kitty, I would suggest that it is donated to SSAFA towards the cost of putting the wheelchair ramp into Grays Rd ! Seems only fitting given what the money was raised for and would leave a lasting reminder of the efforts of ARRSE, Prune et al.

BT

Tigs2
4th Aug 2007, 11:31
Over on ARRSE after some initial ideas, it seems the overwhelming support is that the money is just given to SSAFA as that was the fighting cause it was given to, and those that donated will have fully understood that. SSAFA are best placed to know how to spend the money, and, under the circumstances are likely to use it directly on Grays Lane. The general concensus now is to step back and let SSAFA get on with their job. Well done everyone.

Toxteth O'Grady
4th Aug 2007, 11:38
Final update.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/1522/petitionhd5.jpg

:cool:

TOG

cargosales
5th Aug 2007, 07:14
There's some excellent joined-up thinking going on at the Telegraph. The piece by Jenny McCartney in today's Sunday Telegraph very nicely makes the connection between Gray's Lane and the Ghurkas :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2007/08/05/do0505.xml

One would hope the politicians who were so quick to support SSAFA are now equally unequivocal in their representations to the Immigration Service. If not, perhaps they need further persuasion.

CS

weevhearditb4
5th Aug 2007, 10:57
Dear all

A good article and editors comments in today’s Kent on Sunday about SSAFA and greys lane (on pages 8 and 9). Also good Editors comment page 26 (top left)

Good to meet some of the blue team at the MVDC but could not stay long enough in the pub to meet up with others best wishes to all.

This paper also takes up the Gurkha cause so may well be worth PPRuNe's and AArses getting them on side.

JessTheDog
5th Aug 2007, 12:13
But what of Ms Westphal, the Council planner who’s unilateral rewriting of Policy Env22 to suit whatever ends she had in mind caused the furore in the first place? How convenient for her to be on holiday on the day of the meeting. One trusts that on her return she will have the civvie equivalent of a caps-on interview with her line manager. Granted this was a very unique set of circumstances, unlikely to ever occur again and it was the objectors who caused the controversy with their representations. Nonetheless, this whole sorry episode has cast Mole Valley Council in a very sad light and I’d hope the chief executive and his or her senior management team will be putting in place some kind of procedure to ensure this never happens to them again.

I wish to leap to the defence of Miss Westphal! It is unlikely that the decision was hers alone. She would be following precedents (of which there are quite a few, often overturned on appeal!) and her chain of command would have taken a close interest in so many objections. Look to further up the tree for the direction that the development control service takes. I hope she enjoys her holiday!

Tigs2
5th Aug 2007, 14:48
Jess
I totally agree with you. When the recommendation was initially sent their was an overwhelming number of letters from objectors. Throughout the process from the commencement of our involvement, the young lady concerned acted professionally and sympathetically. I do not think the finger can nor should be pointed at her. Furthermore there is no need for a good old 'military' style witchunt from anyone. There was an issue, people were legally entitled to object, we were legally entitled to support, and we won. Endex!

Chugalug2
5th Aug 2007, 20:47
There was an issue, people were legally entitled to object, we were legally entitled to support, and we won. Endex!

Spot on Tigs, as always. Other than mending fences (the flower power idea is, like, great man. Like I dig it. Like peace Man!) it is time to move on. As the man in the cape and the underpants worn outside his tights says, "our work here is done!". Jess reminds us that there is still the case of L/Cpl Rai and of his colleagues. As Mr Pun VC constantly reminds us, there is injustice and dishonour to put right. A mere bagatelle for a caped crusader, perhaps a little more challenging for we mere mortals but one that we will surely rise to with our good friends from Arrse! :ok:

alwayslookingup
6th Aug 2007, 10:53
Folks,

I refer to my Post 635 and PPrunePop's 638. Many more battles to fight, powder to be kept dry for the fighting of. Let's move on, eh?

Rgds

ALU.

Bladdered
10th Aug 2007, 07:42
I have skimmed this thread quickly. Cllr Wayne Haywood of the Mole DC appeared on BBC Morning news last week - he was totallly supportive of this SSAFA facility and argued the case as to why it is likely to be a 7 bed property so close to the hospital 9and notwithstanding the argumenst of the NIMBYs). I got the impression that the Council were mainly in favour too and that is why he had been asked to appear on TV. You will also wish to know that he is a recently retired Gp Capt and all round great bloke who I have little doubt will support this to the hilt - he kept his cards very close to his chest tho at intereview and did not reveal his recent retirement from the RAF.

Ed

Goer Round
10th Aug 2007, 08:10
There doesn't appear to be a Councillor Wayne Haywood on the Mole DC :hmm:

http://www.molevalley.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=355

Goer Round
10th Aug 2007, 08:28
Have just posted to say that there doesn't appear to be a Councillor Wayne Haywood on the Mole District Council and I put in a link to the Councillors' web page but when I tried to post it told me that it had to be checked out with a moderator.

This happened previously when I posted a list of councillors email addresses so that people could just cut and paste the list when sending a personal letter to each of the councillors on the planning committee prior to the meeting. That post never appeared. :confused:

Anyway, it may be the fact that I included links which caused the problem for the moderators. If so, check out the Mole DC web page and have a look at the "Meet your Councillor" page - there appears not to be a Wayne Haywood.

Wader2
20th Aug 2007, 14:31
Out of curiosity I checked the petition numbers. It has now reached 51700 or more than 3700 signatures since 5th Aug - about 250 per day.

Do people just sign for signing sake?

Still nice to see there is a continuing level of support for the forces.

west lakes
5th Oct 2007, 18:36
Dunno
But up to yesterday (4/10) the polo shirt/t shirt sales have raise £1640 for the house

WasNaeMe
5th Oct 2007, 19:08
Email recieved: 5 Oct 2007 16:22

"On 2 August 2007 Mole Valley District Council granted permission for the planning application MO/2007/0863 that had been submitted by the Soldiers Sailors Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA)(new window) (http://www.ssafa.org.uk/)Forces Help. The application was for a change of use of a house in Grays Lane, Ashtead, Surrey, in order to provide accommodation for families visiting injured relatives at the Defence Medical Rehabilitation Centre at Headley Court which is nearby.On behalf of the Government, the Defence Secretary, Des Browne, welcomed the Council's decision and commented that "We are delighted that Mole Valley District Council recently granted permission for SSAFA's proposed development. The Government will continue to work together with SSAFA to make best use of this new facility.""

Well done Des......( w*nker..)

Airborne Aircrew
5th Oct 2007, 19:11
The Government will continue to work together with SSAFA to make best use of this new facility

You have to love the way they imply that they were all in on it, behind the troops from the start, and instrumental in the result... Wnakers...

Chris Kebab
5th Oct 2007, 19:38
Completely agree AA.

What have the Military and Cherie got in common.....

....both been screwed by Tony.

November4
5th Oct 2007, 19:41

Bu&&er!!....new keyboard needed as spilt the wine LOL at that

GreenKnight121
6th Oct 2007, 08:39
The Government will continue to work together with SSAFA to make best use of this new facility."

Translation:
The government will now determine who gets to use the facility, with the families of those servicemen related to senior Civil Service employees receiving first priority.

Any time full occupancy is not achieved, the vacancies will be available for vacationing senior Civil Service employees at no cost.

OK, I'm a lot cynical of any governmental type who wants to control... errr... "work with" any NGO (non-governmental organization).

airborne_artist
6th Oct 2007, 08:50

Not sure that's correct - I think it's Mrs Blair who wears the trousers in the household. I'm fairly certin that he get strict instructions as to how and when to perform...

wondermum
11th Feb 2008, 22:13
:)SSAFA Norton House opens on 14th Feb 2008:)

Just to let anyone know who still peeps onto this thread, that myself and the little terrors (aka TnT) visited SSAFA Norton House today and my have they done us proud:ok:. TnT tested the many child friendly facilities and were rather suitably impressed too :) , and have been asking, can we visit again?!!

The house is FANTASTIC - is that loud enough?!!! I was stunned by the effort and attention to detail, not only does it feel like that home from home, it has a really wondeful, calm and friendly atmosphere. A dream come true. :D

I was also very impressed with the two house managers, who most certainly seem to fit the bill. It will certainly be a case of suck n see, but i wish them the best of British with such a crucial task.

SSAFA have indeed done us proud and have set themselves exceedingly high standards for the next house near to Selly Oak (an offer has been accepted, we're at that wonderful planning permission stage), but they have the heart and expertise to succeed, and I know that we shall.

Well guys n gals it is also so much credit to you and fellow arrsers n any other kindred, from my heart, thank you :):)

allan908
12th Feb 2008, 04:12
Fantastic! And thanks for the update. Is there any reason to start girding armour for the Selly Oak proposal - or will that get through with no problems?

wondermum
14th Feb 2008, 13:24
Hi Mike, another battle, well i'd more than ready though I feel things may be smoother:) - i do miss the frenzy of battle!!!!!!!

Moved home to sx to start again and so live on a hill - nope not flooded!
Hope you all ok :ok:xx

mutleyfour
14th Feb 2008, 13:30
Fantastic, had forgotten all about that, cheers for the ever so important reminder and update.

Chugalug2
14th Feb 2008, 13:56
Great news wondermum, good to hear from you again. Well done SSAFA, one down and one to go, we watch and wait with interest! As has been said by Al R on another thread about another subject (JPA), but to do with the same uniquely special services' family, it is just about caring, really caring. :ok:

PPRuNe Pop
14th Feb 2008, 17:06
So glad to hear that it turned out the way everyone wanted. Especially as the house got the name most people wanted too.

Very apt that on the day of love it is now open. I really do like that.

Hope you and Peter are very well.

PPP

Edited to 'correct' to Peter's name. :O:O

cargosales
14th Feb 2008, 21:48
Thank you for letting us know about the opening - that's great news, and it's really good to hear that SSAFA have done such a good job inside the house as well. :)

To echo PPP's sentiments, it's a very apt day for it to be opening and I hope there will be much love and caring going on in a very appropriately named home from home.

Reflecting on those hectic weeks last summer, it's quite amazing to think about how much impact the Blue Team had. And it only goes to show how lots of individuals making their their own small effort can collectively become one huge team and achieve something incredible. Long live the 'purple family' !

wondermum
16th Feb 2008, 08:08
http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/topstories/display.var.2049051.0.home_for_servicemens_families_is_a_dre am_come_true.php

just a wee bit more :)
big hugs to you all!;)

ABX
17th Feb 2008, 16:11
Mike et al,

The major players of this thread remind me of the movie Ocean's 13, each one doing their bit to pull off an amazing result at the last moment.

Well done and congratulations to you all.

Oh, and I have made a mental note to never find myself on the bad side of you lot!

Cheers,

ABX

Al R
6th May 2008, 06:30
At last, some decent investment announced for Headley Court.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7384875.stm

Green Flash
6th May 2008, 16:19
I see the BBC article mentions that a Marine who lost a leg below the knee will be back up the sharp end soon and he wasn't the first. I was in a warm and sandy place earlier this year and there was Brit who'd lost a leg (can't remember if above or below the knee - think it was above) there too. He wore shorts so no-one was in any doubt as to what was going on. I saw him and his mates outside Timmy's and the look on the US Marines faces was priceless. It gave me a very smug feeling, a very proud feeling and a very very humble feeling as he wandered past and the US Marines parted in front of him with their jaws on the floor. Said Brit and pals just carried on. A Canadian with me looked in amazement and I said (feeling very proud/smug/humble) 'Brits; we build em hard and rebuild 'em harder.'
Sir, whoever you are, you have my undying admiration.:ok: As do the Gods and Goddesses at Headley:ok::ok: