PDA

View Full Version : Contract work in Africa Info please

biggles72
29th Apr 2000, 09:05
Hello all,
Any one got info about the work situation In Africa (any Country)

1. how hard is it to convert Aussie licence, do they accept bribes, or is a flight test required.?

2. what is the pay like( i heard $5000 u.s per month +

3. I have 1300 hours and instrument / twin rating, but minimal twin time what could i end up flying? A king air or Caravan, or twin Otter would be nice?

4. I am willing to get shot at and live in a dump, if the pay is ok or i am in a good aircraft.

Which countrys are the go and can i get a job over the phone, ( i have most company numbers)

Any info is appreciated, and I can provide info on the Aussie work scene . Do you know of companys needing pilots now? if so let me know
email me at
[email protected] or reply this post

cheers and many thanks in advance

Metro man
29th Apr 2000, 09:56
Will try and answer your questions as follows;
1.Conversion of licence depends entirely upon each individual country but basically you are looking at a medical ,air law exam and flight test.Bribes may be necessary but ask other pilots discreetly what the local situation is first.

2.US$5000 per month is for experienced C130 Captains most pilots don`t make anywhere near this, certainly none with your level of experience.

3.You will be looking at C206 ,BN2A ,C402 and Barons.Turbines come further down the track after you have proved yourself.

4.You will probably be living in a dump ,being shot at is no fun at all,nor is stepping on a mine and having your lower leg blown off.If tempted to do anything illegal remember african prisons make Australian ones look like five star hotels and you will be a very pretty boy.

5.Botswana and Kenya would probably be your best bet ,certainly worth phoning around first but very unlikely to get a job unless you front up in person.

6.If you do fly there it`s an experience you will never forget.