PDA

View Full Version : African B1900 operators...

GA_Stinks
4th Sep 2000, 05:45
Are there any 1900 operators in Africa? If so, what sort of hours they look at for employment as a FO?
Any info at all appreciated...
Cheers, G.A_S http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

Hi Lift
4th Sep 2000, 13:25
Try ROSSAIR, they have quite a few 1900's around Africa. I don't know what their min hours requirement is, but you should get some contact info at: www.rossair.co.za (http://www.rossair.co.za)

Hi Lift
4th Sep 2000, 13:44
Try ROSSAIR, they have quite a few 1900's around Africa. I don't know what their min hours requirement is, but you should get some contact info at: www.rossair.co.za (http://www.rossair.co.za)

ROGER Co-J
4th Sep 2000, 18:49
Yes Rossair is the largest 1900 operator around.Got a few friends flying for them and they say it's OK.

They seem to prefer guys with 1000hrs. and a frozen S.A. ATPL with the intention of making them Captains as soon as they get the required hours.An instructor's rating will help as well.They have a high turnover(losing guys to the airlines) and are therefore on the prowl for potential Captains and instructors.

However, I have seen them hire fresh Comm. pilots as junior Co-pilots.

They have contracts all over Africa and work on a 2month on 1 month off basis.The pay doesn't sound too bad either.

Good Luck.

Kabullet
4th Sep 2000, 21:29
Also try ALS at Wilson Apt Nairobi, they have a few as well. Mainly pax runs to and from loki. No details though, sorry.

Kabullet
4th Sep 2000, 21:38
Also try, Air Inter Gabon, Air Affairs Gabon, and Air Services Gabon, although these are pretty much french speaking, but operate new 1900D's.

New on Rossair, apparently they will take low time pilots, if they are prepared to work in the operations room, for a few months. Hell give them all a try GA_S.

Also SAL in Angola, not to sure on their reputation though.:]

putco
5th Sep 2000, 13:47
Hey Kabullet - how many fingers you got left for pies Bwana??? Ha ha..

Great chat with Simon yesterday.....who knows?

Beta Man
5th Sep 2000, 16:59
Roger Co-J

I've got a question. In your opinion would I be wasting my time trying to apply for a job as a Junior Co-Pilot with Ross Air working in Africa. I am Australian with Ozzy qualification only. 500 TT with Turbine Airline Exper...No B1900 rating.

Will they employ expats or is that not an issue ???

Any advice would be appreciated.

GA_Stinks
6th Sep 2000, 08:20
Thanks for all the replies :)

Just curious though Beta Man, if you only have 500TT and you are flying in a turbine airline now...why would you want to leave?
What turbine aircraft are you flying now?

Anyone know fleet details, ie how many B1900s they have and locations where they are based, how busy are the pilots in terms of hrs per month...

Cheers, G.A_S :)

ROGER Co-J
6th Sep 2000, 16:01
Beta Man,
Yes they will and have employed Expats.Apparently they have British, New Zealanders & Yugoslavian.Since they have contracts all over Africa they still have to pay for work permits even if they hire South Africans.So you see it makes no difference where you're from.

If you're willing to work in Africa, sign a training bond (2/3 year )and fly monster hours,maybe it's the place for you.

I'd say give it a try, your chances are good, especially with your turbine experience.They've also got Twin Otters,(you don't need an ATPL to command those) and if you don't mind them it'll make you more attractive to them.

Almost forgot Beta Man,You'll have to convert to a South African license to qualify.

[This message has been edited by ROGER Co-J (edited 06 September 2000).]

GA_Stinks
8th Sep 2000, 13:47
Anyone know what is req'd to convert an Australian licence to South Afican one? For different regions of Africa is there a different licence reuirement?
Any Aussies done this? And anyone know what the ATPL is like in comparison to Aus or USA? Easier/Harder...

Cheers, G.A_S :)

Was that for us?
8th Sep 2000, 16:01
Before you try to get an RSA validation on whatever licence I suggest that you have take a look at an atlas to see that Africa consists of some 43or so sovereign countries each with its own (in some cases 12 official) language/s most countries have French as their main language.Aviation / licencing rules vary a lot one has to take each and every one as an individual case.

Beta Man
9th Sep 2000, 18:02
GA_S

I am currently working for a small airline in the South Pacific as an F/o on the Otter or what some people call radio operators.

And the reason for wanting to leaving is pure and simple i'm not happy. The progression is slow the money stinks and worst of all i'm logging F/A hours.

I see you are interested in Africa as well ?

Roger Co-J

Thanks for the info... could you share a bit more of your knowledge. If I was to approach an operator like Ross Air would they convert my licence as part of a Base Check or would they want to see a SA licence before starting with such an operator ?

Thanking you in Advance.

Beta Man
9th Sep 2000, 18:07
Roger Co-J

Disregard last message. I just read your previous reply. Thanks again.

Kiwi Flyer
10th Sep 2000, 17:00
SA Conversion doesnt really exsist GA_Stinks.
I work in Africa and have done so for a couple of years. I have explored the SA thing, but basically you have to do the whole thing over again.
You can get a Validation for one year, but thats it I believe.
I may be wrong but I'm sure this is the case.

big buddah
11th Sep 2000, 07:33
kiwi flyer,
how you doing? don't come back here things are are getting tight. this tights not good either?
I now have great respect for the **** you went thru. and now are going to have to jump hows the floor can i borrow it again!!!!
can't see myself going any further soon as we'll have to get a new CP.
Whats the goss i'll send you a long e-mail.
cheers

cockpit radiated
11th Sep 2000, 15:11
i think that SAA sends there fresh cadets to ROSSAIR initially. I was on campus in adelaide (AUS) with some a while ago.

Kabullet
11th Sep 2000, 22:41
Guys as far as I'm aware there are some Rossair Pilots with Foreign ALTP's and Comm's. Mostly FAA and Kenya licences. SA CAA will give a validation to Operate ZS outside of SA borders only, and have not heard of a limit to these. If they are renewed once a year that is enought, I think.Also you must have the A/c type on the foreign licence to validate. Anyone else know any more? Yes Rossair have taken on forign pilots.

Master Warning!
12th Sep 2000, 20:11
Hi guys, well I am a foreign Rossair pilot.I hold a Dutch com with a Beech 200 rating, I have a SA validation to operate outside of the SA borders. You have to have the type on your licence because you can not get one on a validation. There is no time limit, it is valid as long as your licence is.

Cheers, MW! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

GA_Stinks
15th Sep 2000, 20:00
Can anyone fill me in on what size the Rossair fleet is? How many 1900's they have and what models are they (C's / D's) ?

Cheers G.A_S