View Full Version : Question time re: SAA

Loud n proud
1st Jan 2000, 14:03
I was hoping someone could give me a little inside information relating to South African Airways.
Are they,or will they, be recruiting pilots soon? What are their minimum requirements? What is the introduction process, are their direct entry first officer positions, or is it via a second officer program.
What are their starting salaries and benefits like? Any opinions on the long term prospects of the airline would also be appreciated.

Any input is most welcome.

Thanks

4HolerPoler
1st Jan 2000, 15:49
A mate of mine who'd been on the waiting list for over a year got the good news yesterday - starts on the 1st February. No more details I'm sorry but there is movement again.

skyvan
1st Jan 2000, 17:08
Well Loud and Proud, Movement has indeed started, with 12 pilots being employed between Feb and Mar. The other slots for 2000 are being filled by the cadets, some of whom have spent more than the 2 years in the feeder airlines.
It's starting to look like all future new pilots will start in the 2nd Officer role, although any rapid expansion may lead to direct right seat positions becoming available.
For minimum requirements, the SAA webpage has it all listed, http://www.saa.com , but basic requirements are 500hrs, and a SA CPL. I think that in reality, 2000hrs and ATP are the minimums the Selection Team are really looking for. After all, that is what the cadets have when they join. An intructor rating is also a nice to have, it may even tip the scales in your favour, if the choice is close.
Salaries and benefits are good. Travel perks start after the 1st year is over, the medical aid needs an overhaul,( and is getting one!) the pension is being reviewed at the moment, with a better one in the offing. The Pilot union is a well respected body, with a very effective and dynamic executive, and provide a high level of support.
Long term prospects, well, Swissair just threw in a few million dollars for 20%, with an option for some more, a decision is due shortly on a new domestic fleet, and it seems to be starting to run at a profit. So, long term is fairly good.
Bad things, just the normal schedule airline hassles, some early mornings, some late nights, and sometimes an apparent lack of communication from management (but most organisations seem to have that problem), at least the old broederbond mentality is disappearing at a high rate.
All in all, a good group to work for. My personal feeling, the best airline company to work for in SA, if you can get in.
Please note that all the above is purely a personal view point. I do work there, and I'm very happy there. I'm sure that there are others who will be only too keen to point out the bad in more detail, we're all allowed opinions!
Good luck,
Skyvan