PDA

View Full Version : £30bn For New Equipment

LFFC
16th Jul 2007, 13:11
Armed Forces get £30bn for new equipment in defence budget (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/engineering/article2080285.ece)

The Times - 16 Jul 07 (http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/engineering/article2080285.ece)

It looks like the spending review will be concluded this week and newspaper reports suggest that we will get the new carriers, ships and armoured vehicles that we've been asking for. It will be interesting to see if any new money will be pledged. Ever the cynic, I think I've worked out how they'll afford it; did anyone else spot the clue?

Defence chiefs expect to conclude their department’s comprehensive spending review this week, Armed Forces’ pay the only outstanding issue to be resolved.

8-15fromOdium
16th Jul 2007, 16:23
Armed Forces’ pay the only outstanding issue to be resolved.

Sorry for being an optimist, but isn't this a good sign??

Perhaps the higher ups are fighting our corner on this one.

whowhenwhy
16th Jul 2007, 18:59
Well they can't give us a pay cut (leaving aside the impact of under the rate of inflation pay rises) so I can't see how our pay could subsidise all that new kit LFFC. That said, how they're planning on making the sums add up heaven along knows. We're already borrowing more money than ever before.

16th Jul 2007, 19:18
You watch - the next thing will be CEA (boarding school allowance in old money) - some bean counter will have worked out how much this costs and divert it to a different budget. Then you really will see the PVR flood gates open......

8-15fromOdium
17th Jul 2007, 07:23
the next thing will be CEA (boarding school allowance in old money) - some bean counter will have worked out how much this costs and divert it to a different budget

That was mooted last year, shortly afterward an Army General stood up and started talking about the 'military covenant' and any debate disappeared into the long grass. Don't forget 58% of the Sandhurst intake has been to public school so the government subsidy (...sorry CEA) isn't likely to be removed.

Widger
17th Jul 2007, 09:50
This is not new money, it is just the future Defence budget being outlined with priorities.

LFFC
17th Jul 2007, 11:34
Widger

I think that's my point. I don't expect any new money; it's just a shame that Armed Forces' pay seems to come last on the agenda.