PDA

View Full Version : Ethiopian??? Advice wanted please

The Sleeping Pax
28th Aug 2000, 07:31
I posted the following a week ago in the SLF Forum but as yet no replies as yet. If any of you can advise me as to Ethiopian I would be very grateful. I am travelling from Bangkok. My agency are advising I use Ethiopian but I'n not sure.

"Business requirements I really could do without have me travelling to West Africa to Ghana, Togo and Nigeria from Bangkok. My travel agency are trying to put me on ET to Addis Ababa and then onwards to Accra and then back
also via ET from Lagos. I'd rather avoid going via Europe, but will do so if necessary. Can any of you good people advise me of ET as an airline. I believe they once had the best reputation in Africa, but that was 15-20 years ago.
Also what light can you shed on Addis transit facilities, bearing in mind that I most probably have between 4 and 5 hours in transit. I have a week before I have to book so any recent advice/news would be most welcome."

------------------
Wake me up when we get there

alapt
29th Aug 2000, 00:19
I had the chance of working indirectly for them a few years back. (Four years ago!)
I flew many, many times with them.
Aircraft were in excellent shape, the service was good, and the flights were on sched.
Would recommend them to anybody, anytime.

Keep the blue side up

Bogtrotter
30th Aug 2000, 03:02
Flying between East and West Africa can be an absolute nightmare. At times the overland route looks better. I haven't done the trip recently but I would recommend flying to either Europe or South Africa and then a direct flight from there to destination if possible.

MileHi
31st Aug 2000, 19:25
Sleepy,

Fly Emirates to Dubai and Emirates to Nairobi. Avoid (unless there is no other alternative) at ALL costs flying with ANY African carrier other than SAA.

The Sleeping Pax
31st Aug 2000, 19:35
Thanks for the advice to all 3 of you. It's a bit of a mixed bag. I've just got back to BKK from Azerbaijan. A wing and a prayer. Emirates is a total no no for me. Personal choice. SAA sounds interesting, I'll look into it. Do they go to Accra and Lagos? I'll look into it. It seems like SR via Zurich, which may be OK. I'll let you good people know. My thanks to you all. :)

-------------------------------------------

Wake me up if we get there