PDA

View Full Version : newzealand atpl navigation

TZZ
16th Jul 2007, 09:45
Hi everyone i am going to sit navigation exam next week i have just studied ppsc notes is it enough or not, i have heared about pete sumner but i have no time to organise with him if anyone has done navigation with pete sumner and has his notes can i borrow it just for a week and i will return it back

regards

muttly's pigeon
16th Jul 2007, 10:17
He doesnt really have notes as such... you listen to a few things he says and take note of the pictures he writes on the board and everyone seems to get past. Been to long ago for me to still have any of the notes i took sorry TZZ

Bongo Bus Driver
16th Jul 2007, 22:12
I just used the PPSC notes and got through fine. If you can do all the examples and understand the concepts then you'll be right. But if you are still struggling then delay the exam and get hold of Pete as he will be able to explain things from another perspective.

Ivan R Donn
18th Jul 2007, 09:03
Bongo's on the money TZZ, I sat the exam about a month ago and just used the PPSC stuff, which worked for me (just!!) The exam I sat was pretty close to the practice exam in content, apart from the usual couple of curlys. Good luck!

TZZ
18th Jul 2007, 09:37
i had sat the exam 2 months ago it was a night mare for me specially part 2 it was different to sample paper and i was so confused, by the way if you still can remember how part 2 was plz let me know

regards

Ivan R Donn
18th Jul 2007, 22:41
There was a graphical off track ETP question which you had to plot on an oceanic enroute chart. From memory it was HNL - AKL with an off track to Nandi required. The other one I recall was plotting a track on the same chart between two points (one was a VOR the other a reporting point) and then working out tracks etc. One part of that question asked you to find the convergence angle between the two points by measurement - which is something I hadn't seen before. I reckon the way to do that one was to draw a meridian of longitude through each point and then measure off using the Douglas protractor. Having said that, I'm not sure if that was the correct technique so if anyone else out there can shed some light please sing out!

Hope this helps.
IRD

TZZ
19th Jul 2007, 07:59
cheers bro, so i have got a better understanding of all the examples in pssc this time and i am going to go through the sample paper 2 to 3 times before the exam, coz asl sometimes bring up same as sample paper, hopefully i will get this time easy paper so IRD ur paper was almost similar to sample paper

Ivan R Donn
19th Jul 2007, 09:57
In fairness Tango it was a month ago and I've sat another three since then so the old grey matter is a bit fried. However, I do recall that the questions were were a similar type to those in the sample exam - as long as you've got a good understanding of the concepts you should be right. Good luck!
IRD

TZZ
24th Jul 2007, 02:59
hi ivan i sat my exam today i think i got the same paper as yours, it was much better than the one i sat before part 2 was a bit tricky but i think i will be fine thanks for ur guide by the way how many papers r left for u to do

Ivan R Donn
24th Jul 2007, 07:48
Hi TZZ, I finished the exams a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't much fun studying for them but I'm glad they're over now. Fingers crossed that you get a good result in your Nav exam.
Cheers,
IRD