PDA

View Full Version : Sleep or read??

ChinaClipper
15th Jul 2007, 18:53
I understand many at CX don't like the former or the latter, so what do you chat about???? Thanks..:confused:

The Kook
15th Jul 2007, 20:01
Sleeping: Against ALL SOPs, rest is to be taken standing up! This includes at the hotel. Cathay does not provide hotels with beds. You will get used to this.

Reading: I am no fan of reading. However, I have noticed a large number of our new pilots have developed this reading skill you talk of. The company is aware that some of our pilots can read and will be addressing the problem shortly. If you know how to read, keep it to yourself as some of us are very offended by literates.

Chatting: Subjects are provided with each flight plan tailored exclusively for the flight. Strict adherence to the chatting subjects is mandatory! But sometimes I fly with someone who disdains the "chat subjects", then we chat about the usual, our hair, makeup, clothes, Oprah, etc.

Hope this helps.

cpdude
15th Jul 2007, 21:42
then we chat about the usual, our hair, makeup, clothes, Oprah, etc.

Wish we had more "girls" on our fleet!:}

sizematters
16th Jul 2007, 00:46
hey Just because you don't enjoy a wide range of "Inflight Chat subjects" no need to make sexist assumtions.................

ULRequalsSLEEP
16th Jul 2007, 01:33
I like to talk about how lucky we are.

If we had bidlines we would be incessantly involved with choosing the best patterns and whingeing about other people's patterns. With our current system we have very little choice so we can whinge equally;-)

If we were paid as much as other airlines in our home countries we would have to pay so much more tax...16% is a lot you know! I appreciate my company's help in minimising my tax bill even if others aren't so grateful.

I appreciate that education and medical is a huge burden on our company and I think it is right and fitting that we contribute more and more even though the amounts are far in excess of what we would pay at home. After all, its not like CX is some expat employing airline. Its a career airline. Air is so good in HKG you can taste it. We should be paying them for the right to live here!

CX has incredibly high standards. Unlike EK, where it only takes 3-4 years to work the system out and get a command, CX invented aviation. It takes at least 9 years for us to be ready for a command- maybe. They have an incredibly rigorous selection and training process that has a 'star chamber' in oversight that ensures any past political, personal or professional mis-demeanour does not go unpunished. Fortunately with retirement age likely to move to 60 or 65 that will give candidates an extra few years to be screened.

The good news is that with a later retirement age we don't need to earn as much nor do we need as much in our PF as we are closer to dying when we leave! Silver lining to that cloud. But I don't think it is fair to the company to pay normal salary and benefits after 55. We have been such a burden to them for most of our career. It is only fair that we start to give back in our golden years.

And unlike some I don't think we should be recompensed for the falling US$ even though EK does. If we are not happy we could just move back on a basing right!? Three or four family moves between countries in a career, at your expense, is good for clearing the attic of old junk. Its good for the kids to make new friends - teaches them to deal with abandonment issues early on in life. So no whingeing about the exchange rate in my cockpit.

So yes, in my cockpit, we just talk about how we are lucky to work for CX. They are a learning organisation - cutting edge stuff. They have learnt through the 90s that just imposing pay deals doesn't work. I look forward to a large, jointly negotiated, pay rise.

cpdude
16th Jul 2007, 02:08
hey Just because you don't enjoy a wide range of "Inflight Chat subjects" no need to make sexist assumtions.................

Hey...I love a wide range of "Inflight Chat subjects", I just wish we had more girls!

Kane Toed
16th Jul 2007, 02:33
I don't have time to chat, I spend most of the flight sharpening my hospital corners...

WaldoPepper
17th Jul 2007, 06:34
Funny,

Reminds me of that classic Monty Python sketch where they go into the restaurant and the menu consists of various conversations you can order.

I can see it in dispatch:

"We've got a few RECommended extra conversations, plus we should be left with most of the CONT conversation. I see nothing wrong with the conditions...how about flight plan conversation?"

angry.palm.tree
17th Jul 2007, 10:58
That's not funny, that's just plain sad.............you boring bunch of sods!
Maybe try throwing the Cathay script away and thinking for yourselves.:{:eek:

badairsucker
17th Jul 2007, 14:03
Maybe try throwing the Cathay script away and thinking for yourselves

Which manual is that in VOL 2 PT 2?????

SIC
22nd Jul 2007, 06:54
Hope " thinking for yourself " isn't in a VOL 8. I am not allowed to use those anymore since it may lead to me being 'ahead of the game' or in this case 'the conversation'.
Imagine the dejavu - knowing what's going to happen or what the guy next to you is going to say before the time!!!:eek:

sizematters
22nd Jul 2007, 06:58
checked AND set...................

horserun
22nd Jul 2007, 08:47
You could just stick with tradition and talk about with FA you would sooner shag.

Five Green
24th Jul 2007, 01:31
Well that made me laugh !! Great idea though then I would not have to keep showing the pic of my new fax machine while the A talks about his latest ferrari or his new Porsche he keeps in yvr.

As for Vol 8s. What a laugh that article was. We would not have to have such an in depth Vol 8 network if the system was a little more realistic. If the system provided proper ground school info and interview prep packages. Simply saying "go yee small trout, learn from the great books, then ye shall be tested!!!!" is not enough. Unless of course you have the Vol 8s !!!

What a laugh.

FG

kiwi chick
24th Jul 2007, 01:34
You could just stick with tradition and talk about with FA you would sooner shag.

so the rumour IS true... ;)

Sqwak7700
24th Jul 2007, 05:17
"As for Vol 8s. What a laugh that article was..."

Couldn't agree more. It is funny to hear this clown say that we should concentrate on learning from the actual book because there is little value in knowing how particular trainers want it done. Yet, these "trainers" are given free range when it comes to grading trainees. Almost like trying to get rid of the solution to a problem that they have created instead of fixing the problem. God forbid they try fixing it. :yuk:

If I were in charge, and believe me, this is a pretty big IF, I would hold all trainers whose names come up in the VOL8s answer as to why they are IN the VOL8s. I think that would just about solve it.

Speaking of ridiculous out-of-touch company publications, have you guys glanced at the latest Kai Talk? It goes on and on about "just culture" and how at Cathay we believe and try to create a "just culture". Do they actually believe this crap??? Do they believe they have a "just" system with "no blame" for honest mistakes? The whole ERAS system is a database that keeps tracks of your mistakes and punishes you for the rest of your carreer; I guess they overlooked that one. :yuk:

Lets look at some honest mistakes and how Cathay applied its "Just Culture". Windshear go-arround incident over Lantau Peak...Captain demoted. Yeah, I guess he did that on purpose. JFK lawn mower approach...you guessed it, the "just culture" deemed it was necessary to demote the Captain. Does anyone else see this "Just Culture" pattern forming??? :yuk:

I don't know about you, but I don't show up to my RT/PCs saying "Let's see how many ****-ups I can do today". So I can tell you that all my mistakes will be accidental. Yet I will probably be punished for them at some point. What is so just about that? :yuk:

I don't know about you, but I find myself using the barfing-face icon more often these days. Maybe my ****t-bucket is overflowing into my dinner plate. :uhoh::uhoh::uhoh::bored::yuk::ooh: