PDA

View Full Version : VFR Flights in Las Vegas

steggers
15th Jul 2007, 18:10
I wonder if anyone could help me?
I'm off to Las Vegas in October to do some VFR flying and am wondering if anyone has done it before? I've got myself a "Selectional VFR Chart" for LAX and am i right in saying you will need to fly at about 11,000ft in order to miss them?
Any help would be great, many thanks
Dan

Sensible
15th Jul 2007, 23:31
Lots of us here have flown VFR at LAX - But, am i right in saying you will need to fly at about 11,000ft in order to miss them?is a bit puzzling:confused:

PIGDOG
16th Jul 2007, 03:30
I have a suspicion the 'them' he wishes to miss would be the mountains between Los Angeles and Las Vegas.

I'm inclined to agree with him; I'd like to miss them too.:ok:

Dream Land
16th Jul 2007, 04:09
Flying a small airplane to Southern California is quite easy when the winds aren't too bad, my suggestion is to get some ground instruction from a local instructor, no need to fly at 11,000 feet, fly IFR (I follow roads), much easier to fly around the terrain. Also, there are some VFR corridors near the the Grand Canyon, spectacular scenery, Grand Canyon airport is at 7000 ft MSL, can be a challenge! :ok:

Dream Land
16th Jul 2007, 04:14
By the way, other cool places in the area would be Death Valley and Big Bear Lake airport, great flying weather, enjoy. As far as the suggestion to file IFR, it's kind of a bother, you're too low in many instances for radar coverage.

BelArgUSA
16th Jul 2007, 07:28
Hola Stegger -
xxx
I am a stupid airline pilot (now from Argentina) but used to live in the LAX area from 1970 until 1990... And I know the area well, I still return there occasionally to visit friends, and deliver "retiring old 747" planes from desert airfields (or pick them up) to deliver them to new operators. Flying a "VFR mission" there with a small plane is somewhat of a complicated area. Air traffic is rather very heavy in all azimuths. Actually I hardly ever did VFR there, was easier for me to file IFR if needed to go anywhere from A to B. By chance that area has good weather, in October, most will be CAVOK. And sceneries are great, plenty of airfields.
xxx
From North Vegas airport (little GA field about 5 NM NW from KLAS) you can head if you wish, to the Grand Canyon area beyond Lake Mead, located 10 NM SE of KLAS, then head East for the Grand Canyon area. Terrain elevation quite high.
xxx
However to fly to the LA Basin from Vegas, I would head along the freeway to the SW, towards Barstow and Daggett (Daggett VOR), half way from Vegas to Daggett, you will be in the Death Valley area, small airport there. South of Daggett, you can find the Apple Valley airfield if you want to land there (near Victorville, former George AFB, a place where lots of retired airliners are parked there, I go there often). I occasionally go to Mojave airfield as well, also hundred of airliners parked there, West of Edwards AFB. Last time I was there was 2 yrs ago to pick-up some ex-Virgin 747s to deliver to the Russian TransAero airline.
xxx
In the LA area, I would avoid playing VFR to the large airports, LAX, BUR or ONT. However there are nice GA airfields.
xxx
One that might interest you is Chino airfield, between Ontario airport and Riverside (March AFB). There is a nice aviation museum there with some 50 airplanes from the past eras. Good little restaurant there, with cheap Mexican food. Most people who fly light aircraft in the LA area go to VNY (Van Nuys airport) or, if need to be close to downtown LA, fly to SMO Santa Monica airport) - plenty of FBO places to park your aircraft, in VNY or SMO). SMO is closest airport to Malibu Beach, 35 minutes drive. And about Van Nuys VNY, they have an "Airtel" (concept of motel, but not for cars, but airplanes, therefore named "Airtel"). You can walk from ramp with your bag to check-in for the night.
xxx
Immediately outside LA (NW areas) I used to have friends who owned planes based in Santa Paula, some 45 NW of LAX. Also cheap restaurant there. In Santa Paula, some L-29 Delfin Czech trainers for sale at that location. Some people also like to go to Catalina, island located West of Santa Monica. Lots of private fliers like the thrill of some 20 NM "overwater".
xxx
There are a lot of publications available to supplement VFR sectionals, as far as airfield diagrams, and tower frequencies. You can acquire them before your departure from North Vegas, they got a little pilot supply store there. Consider even buying a road map for general orientation of cities and main roads. Consider also a Jeppesen Low Altitude IFR map for help, they have lots of info not found on VFR sectional charts. See also the Jeppesen Los Angeles area chart.
xxx
No need to tell you that air traffic is heavy in all these areas, both airline and private VFR/IFR. And lots of people fly on weekends. So it might be busy. ATC is busy as well, and might not be able to provide VFR assistance. I guess you know your can fly VFR point to point at night in the USA... VFR flight plans are not required in the US but strongly recommended. And in the US, there are FSS Flight Service Stations, who will provide you with MET reports. The FSS around LA call sign is "Hawthorne Radio". FSS standard frequencies are published on charts. Remember they speak in statute miles for visibilities, but now use ºC for temperatures. Some towers shut down at night (like SMO or VNY), but be sure to make position reports on that frequency for other traffic if someone else is landing or taking off.
xxx
American beer is still horrible as usual, but you might find some Guinness at times. The only half way decent US beer is Sam Adams... when you need to wet your throat for debriefing.
xxx
I see you are from Brighton... Often go there when operating to LGW as I prefer Brighton than staying a weekend in Crawley, and dont want to suffer your M-25 to go anywhere. Good luck for your trek to LA - Should you need any suggestions, PM me, I might have some phone numbers or contacts for you.
xxx
:)
Happy contrails

SD.
16th Jul 2007, 12:05
From my experience (about 10 to 15 trips from San Diego to Vegas) you'll need to be on the ball when dealing with Vegas approach.

Generally we used to come in from the south, overhead Henderson, then direct to overhead the numbers at KLAS (rwy 24), then a vector for a right downwind to runway 12 at North Las.

For ease, I would suggest you drop into Henderson for the first trip to Vegas. As your confidence improves and local knowledge improves, then North Las should be attempted.

If you have the money, then drop into KLAS. Last time I went in there with a light twin cost $80 handling fee and AVgas was very expensive. Around the $5 mark. Henderson and North Las offer shuttles from the terminal to the strip.

Approach to 12 - KVGT (North Las)

http://www.ocff.co.uk/storage/paul/Vegas.jpg

Hoover dam, one of many sights to be seen in the Vegas area.

http://www.ocff.co.uk/storage/paul/hooverdam.jpg

the_daddy
16th Jul 2007, 15:56
I've just got back from some hour building in the States and part of this included a trip into and out of Henderson Executive. Thoroughly recommend the place as an easy to find and (relatively!) non-complicated way in and out of Vegas. The ATC (Both Vegas APP and Hendeson) were way beyond very helpful and accomodating given the amount of traffic in the area and the gound crew (As always in the US) were brilliant!

Sure you pay a little more for Avgas here but the free ride into the strip makes up for it - as well as making you feel like a proper Pilot with the AMAZING pilot lounge and facilites! (Free internet and phone!) PLUS it's only $5 overnight parking!

We did a trip out to the Canyon and stopped off at Grand Canyon West - I don't recommend this one as it's where the Sky Walk is and is VERY tourist driven now. You can't even walk away from the airfield without being on prohibited land.

If you plan to fly over this area then purchase the Canyon Specific terminal map. It will give you the no-fly areas as well as available altitudes to avoid the commercial traffic - meaning the helicopter tours etc.

But all-in-all an excellent place to fly! Have fun and don't hit the tables too hard or it could end up more expensive than you bargained for!

Happy Wanderer
16th Jul 2007, 21:31
Hi chaps,

I'm off to S California (San Diego) next Monday for a month's hour-building.

If anyone's got any hints and tips (or warnings!) for the immediate area, pls shout.

Must admit, I had thought about trecking up the coast to LA and possibly even beyond to SF. May give LA a wide berth given the above!

Cheers,

HW

the_daddy
16th Jul 2007, 22:06
Hints..

Well here's my 2p's worth...

Make sure that if you venture into class B or C airports (Which are still free to land at!) that you are comfortable with departure clearances. I for one don't ever get them whilst flying G.A in the UK due to the airfields I fly to/from - remember to read back exactly!

Flight following is a great facility. Call up Socal Approach / Santa Barbara App / LA Approach etc etc.. In the first call highlight you have a VFR request. Then when they get back give them the usual TRPACER (Or whatever it is you use) and ask for flight following. They will generally pass you off to the appropriate ATC along your route which is nice.

Use the 1-800-WXBRIEF telephone number before every flight (I believe it's actually a requirement but could be wrong) Either way this is an excellent service.

Get a copy of the current FAR/AIM and read it!

Use the semi-circular rule i.e. 0-179 Odd+500, 180-359 Even+500. And remember they don't have a transition until 18,000ft (I believe)

Oh, make sure you have ALL required documents with you at all times... CofA, Medical, License, POH etc etc.. I got ramp checked in Santa Barbara which was slightly unnerving to see a federal agent driving up to your aircraft after landing! But it is just a random spot check (and yes I was all good!)

DONT GO INTO BRAVO or CHARLIE AIRSPACE WITHOUT CLEARANCE! And also while you're at it stay clear of Miramar and any other Naval/Airforce base you happen to ponder near!

Go over L.A! You'll never get an experience like it here! 40 Miles of urban landscape! A bit worrying with engine out emergencies but I had a very big eye out for potential landing spots and there are a fair few airports in the basin. I didn't even enter the bravo space when I came back down from San Fran, I flew around it, but I was still very much over L.A! Just keep the other big eye out for traffic as it gets a tad busy over there!

In a month you could seriously cover a lot of ground. I went as far east as Phoenix and as far north as San Fran in 2 weeks... And I had two friends who wanted to be on the ground as much as in the air...

There's a couple of Islands close to San Diego/LA that are worth a visit, but keep an eye on weather.

If you feel confident do a VFR flight at night over San Diego... Stunning!

I hope at least some of that helps... Have a great time! Are you flying from KSEE by any chance?

Dream Land
17th Jul 2007, 00:49
Go over L.A! You'll never get an experience like it here! 40 Miles of urban landscape All my student flying was done in southern California, I agree with the above post, I will never forget my first night cross country, from San Diego Montgomery Field, to Los Angeles and back, what a beautiful sight seeing all the lights of Los Angeles reflect off the bottom of the wings. :ok:

Happy Wanderer
17th Jul 2007, 09:32
the daddy,

Many thanks :ok:

I'll be with Plus One, based out of Montgomery Field - got a Warrior for a month.

With just over 90 total time - all UK - the prospect of flying state-side is scaring the cr*p out of me at the mo! Got to be done though!!

HW

the_daddy
17th Jul 2007, 10:41
I know Plus One... I met their Op's guy who is good friends with the manager of a school at KSEE... Nice aeroplanes and people by all accounts.

I realise it's easy to say this, but don't be too scared by the US flying. You have the same hours as me before I went and enough I imagine to cope with most of the situations you'll encounter. It's so incredibly vast that you will have a lot of time to prepare for what you will be doing next. Plus they have very strong VOR's that you can pick up from miles and miles away!

After the bi-annual check that you will most likely have to do with an instructor (Obviously I don't know your circumstances) I would personally recommend a fairly local flight as one of your first trips to get used to the airspace.

I flew from San Diego and headed inland to a field called Thermal (Or Jacquelin Cochran as it is in the airfield guide - which you will need to buy too!) It's a nice short trip over some nicely changing terrain and also has a bloody big visual in the form of the Salton Sea that you can aim for! After that you can make the short hop to Palm Springs which will test your class C radio or head eastwards as I did to Phoenix - but there are numerous small airfields en-route to anywhere that you can stop off at if you don't feel comfortable entering the big fields at first... But I urge you to do them at some point. The experience you gain from this is very worthwhile (Or I thought so at least!)

I'll try and add a pic of L.A now - fingers crossed!

http://photos-094.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v77/240/51/627002094/n627002094_230347_9421.jpg

Happy Wanderer
17th Jul 2007, 12:19
Great stuff :ok:

Blimey, not sure I'd risk flying over that in a SE aeroplane - I thought Leamington Spa and Stratford was bad enough ;)

Many thanks.

HW

SD.
17th Jul 2007, 12:53
You know (Big) John McCollough the_daddy?

I'm guessing you flew from SEE at a British school there?

Edit: Happy Wanderer, I used to instruct in SD, if you need any tips or advice drop me a PM :ok:

the_daddy
17th Jul 2007, 13:05
I certainly do! I was going to do a checkout in the new G1000 172 they now have with John but ran out of time! Shame.

Yes, the British school. I mention no names!

Oh, a couple of last tips before I forget Wanderer... VFR squawk code is 1200 and altimiter setting is in Hg, not Mb.. So something around 2992. Also they don't do QFE, only our equivilant of QNH - and it's all said as 'Altimiter' (Spelling is phonetic!)

SD.
17th Jul 2007, 14:43
The 172SP is a beast. The G1000 makes life a lot easier and the sat radio gives instructors something to play with on X-C flights :p