PDA

View Full Version : How's Angola?

Master Warning!
23rd Aug 2000, 11:57
Hi guys, going to Angola next week. Just wandering what some of you have to say about operating out of Luanda. Those who have done it that is.
Cheers, MW!

JJflyer
23rd Aug 2000, 20:14
You going for the beaches and palmtrees ???
If so I know a better place.

JJ

stiknruda
24th Aug 2000, 15:10
Flew out of Luanda for 6 months back in '95. Hectic, dangerous and a **** hole. ATC was sub standard, fuel availability unpredictable and hostiles at in-country destinations. The fact that I was flying a white UN turbo-prop was irrelevant.

Take care.

sNr

MileHi
27th Aug 2000, 11:37
Great fun. Great seat of the pants flying - watch out for stray bullets and SAM7/ Stinger's though. Lots of Ex-Pat girls (UN, Red Cross, MSF etc) and cold beer. Be sure to take along a suitcase full of Durex!

Have fun!

[This message has been edited by MileHi (edited 27 August 2000).]

planecrazi
30th Aug 2000, 20:18
I flew there in 92 and 93 during the failed elections and the aftermath. What a wonderful place the central police station is for a night! Angolsh is a great place to gain experience from, because everything looks greener and better afterwards, wherever you may go to fly.

Smoketrails
30th Aug 2000, 22:40
MileHi,

You must be taking the P***. I have no first hand experience but have spoken to many pilots who have flown in and out of Angola and all of them thought it was and is and even bigger ***hole than Nigeria!

Maybe The Guv can enlighten us upon this subject?

MileHi
30th Aug 2000, 23:49
Smoketrail,

I kid you not. 18 months I did spend in Angolsh. Some great ex-pat parties on the go there at the time (94 - 95).

Was that for us?
31st Aug 2000, 00:32
Mile Hi
Hello GUV thought I recognized the BS
LUANDA is for those who dont know any better.
Leave it too the RUSKIES they are expendable

The Guvnor
31st Aug 2000, 09:26
Smoketrails - Not having spent much time on the ground in Angola I really can't comment first hand. However, second hand info I have from WFP, UNICEF, UNHCR, MSF and various other people I subsequently met in Burindi, Nigeria, Tanzania, Uganda etc does lead me to believe that Mile Hi may well be correct. Apparently it comes from having nothing else to do at night - and human nature being what it is, in times of highest risk, it's human nature to bonk like bunnies.

From an operational point of view, I understand that things have improved somewhat - most of the UNITA bases (Alpha, Charlie One, Charlie Two etc) have been captured last year and therefore UNITA action is now much curtailed. Major minefields surround all airfields, towns and villages - don't even think about wandering around anywhere that's not well marked and confirmed as safe by expats.

I have a number of friends operating there at the moment and they love it (well, they love the vast amounts of cash they're making) but at the same time, on a risk scale of 1 - 10 I'd say the place factors in at an 8 or so. Avoid unless you're an adrenalin junkie.

Oh yes - and don't forget to bring lots of beer, bog paper and anything else you're likely to need. If you buy it there, you'll soon find out why your pay is so high! :) :) :)

------------------
:) Happiness is a warm L1011 :)

Master Warning!
31st Aug 2000, 13:03
So what I can make out of the replys sofar, is that it is heaven and hell in the same place, mmmmm must be interesting at least. In case you're wondering why I'm still not there; paperwork! You know visa, validation etc. But I hope to be there next week flying with a big red cross on the tail. Have to say that I'm very curious.

Thanks for the replys sofar, any more?

Cheers MW! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

Firestorm
31st Aug 2000, 13:25
I was there about 12 months ago. It's a 3rd world Black africa ****e hole. It's squalid and disturbing socially; geographically it's a beautiful country, but bombed to f&c% and as such full of cripples and beggars and thieves, especially Luanda,

You can tell the theives they are dressed as policemen. Never hand over any id - just show it to them. Never go out with out id, or with very much money. Don't take anything valuable or of sentimental value. Don't get involved in local issues of justice - if you get mugged/pocket picked/attacked and a policeman witnesses the incident it is normal for the offender to be shot, or at least beaten to death on the street - don't argue about his rights: he just forfeited them - all. If you do, you will be arrested.

Don't get caught shagging whores in cars on the beach at the Ilya. Don't take whores back to your appartment either. If you shag them on the beach you will be mugged or arrested (mugging is preferable). If you take them home they will send their boyfriends back to rob you - they have keys to every door disguised as AK47s.

If you work for a company called Eimasa don't believe much of what they tell you. Expect to wait up to 6 weeks to get a permit/licence validation.

The ffod is generally good, and there are few cases of food poisoning, but medicines are expensive - take immodium etc. Restaurants are mostly expensive. Find someone to introduce you to the Viking Club on Thursday nights. The whores who get in there are mostly honest. Go to the Vietnamese restaurant on the Islya - it's excellent, and keep the bill which will be for millions of kwansas.

Go, experience it, and come back. Me, I hated the place and never want to return ever again in this life or any other...

MileHi
31st Aug 2000, 19:19
Master Warning,

If you're gonna be flying for the Red Cross, you won't have to take the suitcase of condoms - they have their own. Red Cross girls come highly recomended, however try get some history on where they have been (ie with any locals). DON'T touch the locals, your dick WILL explode!

Viking Club, glad to hear its still going. There was also the French Club on the ilha (island) and heards of house parties over weekends.

Enjoy the flying.