PDA

View Full Version : Newcastle

Masai
14th Jul 2007, 20:11
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6898846.stm
Could this have anything to do with the new policy of removing the Captains right to apply common sense to the operation ? :mad:

Mr @ Spotty M
14th Jul 2007, 20:30
Why do you say that, it should not be up to the Captain, it will and should be a company decision.
In other words, Ops will make the call to leave the pax behind, it is the Captains decision to depart when the paper work is finished (load sheet) and he is happy with it.
He will always have the right to refuse passage to a passenger, but not to insist on passage.

rhythm method
15th Jul 2007, 16:22
Masai,

this was different from the new policy on offloading pax not at the gate at std-10. Yesterdays problems (caused by Newcastle Airport's baggage belt breakdown) were based on ops decision to continue with the flying programme despite the fact that most passengers hadn't even managed to get near the check-in desks. I felt awful having to depart knowing how many people were left behind, but at that stage there was an indetermined delay to check-in.. could have been 1 hour could have been 5 hours. How long do you delay and then put a huge risk on all the subsequent flights?

SXB
15th Jul 2007, 19:35
Am I the only cynic here or was this particular decision made because Easyjet didn't want to pay the extra costs associated with a mislaid bag ?

Sending luggage to, for example, 75 different addresses would be extremely expensive, much cheaper to deny them boarding and put them on the next flight. Also, technically speaking, haven't these passengers been bumped ?

rhythm method
15th Jul 2007, 22:03
But easyJet did not bump anyone or deny them boarding. Newcastle closed the check-in facilities completely, so those who were already issued with boarding cards were able to travel.

As for compensation costs, I would almost bet that the airport would be liable for any claims as it was down to their failing infrastructure that the whole scenario happened.

groundhand
16th Jul 2007, 09:19
SXB - you have a very basic understanding of the drivers within aviation.
Keeping the schedule integrety is the highest priority after safety. What would you say to all the people waiting for that airframe at the next sectors? Sorry, but there is a massive infrstructure problem in NCL so we are holding all the aircraft on the ground there until it is sorted out?

My sympathies go to the poor check-in staff who take the abuse for something outside their control; and to the ramp guys who are expected to then work miracles when the belts eventually start working again; as well of course, to all the passengers caught up in the debacle.

SXB
16th Jul 2007, 10:05
SXB - you have a very basic understanding of the drivers within aviation.
Keeping the schedule integrety is the highest priority after safety. What would you say to all the people waiting for that airframe at the next sectors? Sorry, but there is a massive infrstructure problem in NCL so we are holding all the aircraft on the ground there until it is sorted out?

Groundhand, Did you actually read my post ? I didn't suggest the aircraft should have been held. I'm saying that the airline bumped the passengers because they didn't want to deal with problems associated with forwarding large numbers of 'mislaid' bags.

groundhand
17th Jul 2007, 14:39
SXB.
If the bags have not been checked in they are not 'mis-laid'.
Have you ever tried separating passengers from their bags on a voluntary basis?
Try it and see the result.

GH