PDA

View Full Version : Transafrik - all you need to know about it (threads merged)

JJflyer
20th Aug 2000, 18:46
Seen Transafrik looking for pilots to fly around Afrika on contracts.
Anyone worked for them ?????

JJ the curious

JJflyer
22nd Aug 2000, 14:44
I have met some pilots that were employed by the company.
I have received mixed stories about the working conditons, salary, security and how much one actually flies per month.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

JJ

JJflyer
9th Jan 2001, 21:31
Anybody have the correct Email address or fax number for Transafrik or Fernando Brito ?

JJ

Dirk
10th Jan 2001, 16:10
Try +244 9 501878.
If you don't get any joy let me know.
Cheers
Dirk

Top of Descent
12th Jan 2001, 06:23
Fernando Brito
Operations Manager
TransAfrik
[[email protected].]

JJflyer
12th Jan 2001, 15:23
Cheers.
Thanx for the numbers and Email address.
Do you fellows know anybody that has been flying there or have you been around yourself?

JJ

Top of Descent
13th Jan 2001, 07:37
Spent 6 months in Angola last year and maybe heading back in in a week or so.
What do infomation do you require?

DownIn3Green
17th Jan 2001, 19:11
Judging from JJ's recent activities here in Spain, he's headed to Angola for the nightlife and women.

JJflyer
17th Jan 2001, 23:17
DUH http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif

JJ

Brat
18th Jan 2001, 00:14
JJ, passed through Luanda a couple of times a little while ago. Sat and watched those guys shuttling in and out. V interesting operation, aircraft very basic and stripped down to the essentials. Their landing procedure out in the field I gather slightly unorthodox tight spiral down gear and flaps out throttled back, something to do with unfriendly airport neighbors, can't be noise restrictions surely?
Money quite good but you earn it. Pilots, quite a lot of locals but I gather pretty good hands. Friend of mine, FE showed me the wheel well on his plane where they had had a stowaway, bit messy and they weren't bothering to clean it, quick turnaround you know.
The fuel tanker was the most inelegant 72 I have ever seen but then hauling fuel around in the back what can you expect. Three little seats at the back I gather the crew can sell to the highest bidder, they get to watch you use the bucket.
Lots and lots of Russian aircraft around and some of the drivers are a little crude on their procedures/RT/English/nav. We were held up by some lost soul who couldn't speak English didn't know where he was other than the immediate vicinity of the airfield which was covered in rain and low cloud and was depending on a young boy to translate and do hi RT. His son I later learned. Now that what I call learning at your fathers knee.
Various disgruntled gentlemen are said to be in vicinity of airport possesing missiles. They missed us thank the Lord and no I didn't really like the hotel or the nightstop. Beer was O.K. though and I hope you like your maidens dusky. Does it sound like I was impressed, not really but then I've done that been there and thank God I hope I never have to do that sort of crap ever again, but then who can tell fate moves in mysterious ways.

DownIn3Green
18th Jan 2001, 19:25
Brat,

You are correct. I flew TA when the first 727 (a tanker, now sadly departed)was first brought to Luanda. Our normal approach procedure was to overfly the airport at 23,000'agl (beyond the effective range of the stinger missle), establish radio contact with the ground, dump the flaps to 40 and gear down, pwr idle, and down we went. Very exciting, and you get to become better at stick and rudder flying in a big jet than you ever wanted to be.

When the locals didn't show up for the flight, we more often than not drafted the Philippino crew bus driver into the right seat.

I could go on and on, but as you know, it's a real manly enviornment. Whiners and crybabies need not apply.

:) :)

JJflyer
21st Jan 2001, 00:38
Thanx for nice answers fellows... Very interesting. Would suit my needs for a year or so.
Anybody here who still flies for them or knows someone who does.

JJ

Scrumby Jack
9th Jul 2001, 19:47
What type of operations/contracts is Transafrik running these days with the Hercs?

betelnut
1st Feb 2002, 01:08
Anyone know if Trans Afrique is still operating? They used to run a 727 in and out of Angola.

Boss Raptor
1st Feb 2002, 02:22
Transafrik...

Chris2
3rd Feb 2002, 00:26
They are still operating.. quite a few 727s and C130s in Angola. Check their website <a href="http://www.transafrik.com" target="_blank">www.transafrik.com</a>. .Cheers. .Dutchie

SATire
14th Feb 2002, 05:37
Hello Gents:

As a first time caller, I was just wondering how things are looking for employment at Transafrik lately. I've got quite a bit of SIC on both the 727 and the L-382 but no command time in either. Does anyone know if they hire Gringos into the right seat there? Also, does anyone know of any other 727 or herc operators that are hiring Yanks? Any info like conditions, pay, etc (I'm not picky)would be greatly appreciated. My 26 weeks of unemployment are ending soon so I guess that means that I must contribute to the tax base soon. Cheers, Jim

Chris2
14th Feb 2002, 14:32
According to their website <a href="http://www.transafrik.com" target="_blank">www.transafrik.com</a> they are looking for crews on both 727 and C130.. .Regards. .Dutchie

SATire
16th Feb 2002, 11:16
Thanks Dutchie:

I will give them a try and see how it goes.

Best regards, Jim

SATire
5th Mar 2002, 12:40
Hi,. .. .Does anyone know if Transafrik has been hiring lately? I know the website says that they are hiring crews, but I was curious if that was really the case.. .. .Also, is there any word yet on whether Savimbi's demise is going to cool off business or not?. .. .Just curious, and needing a job. Cheers

crack up
7th May 2003, 04:34
Any inside information on Transafrik, salary, conditions, work sched.

4HolerPoler
7th May 2003, 10:39
Trust you've checked out their website @ www.transafrik.com

Great site & all the contact gen you'll need. Sorry, I don't have specifics re. their package.

4HP

chris.debeer
7th May 2003, 12:53
Are these the guys operating out of Khartoum?

If so it was their Boeing that went swimming in Lake Victoria in April 2000! I was working in Mwanza at that stage. The did a missed approach (lights went out on the Runway), and second approach landed next to row of fishing boats working on their long net. Lights on the boats looked like runway?

I know they were supposed to load fish as their main cargo, but they seemed to have taken it rather serious, and tried to catch some of their own!

I'll try and find some of my photos from that time. Made a few flights over the floating plane. I think there's one of them on Airliners.com or .net that I took.

CdB

4HolerPoler
8th May 2003, 06:53
I think you're off the mark Chris. TA operate L100's & B727's as far as I know. That swimmer was a B707. I trust that you'll check your information & place a retraction in the event that it wasn't TA in the lake.

Thanks. 4HP

chris.debeer
8th May 2003, 11:55
4HP and others (Transafrik included!),

My apologies about the above post. I checked the website later, and realised its not the same company.

But I did start my post by asking if it was the same company. The company involved in that incident was Air Transafrique, from Khartoum. That is why I asked.

I also didn't blame them for the crash, but rather conditions at Mwanza airport.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

BTW> The L100's look like nice planes! Maybe one day..."as ek groot is".

Chris

DownIn3Green
14th May 2003, 10:08
Been there, done that, in fact I was part of the first B-727 crew to operate under the Transafrik umbrella.

This was in Oct 1992 - Feb 1993. As I remember it, the Herc guys couldn't believe a 727 could be landed on a 4,500' unimproved strip (Dundo comes to mind) at max gross (plus) in the middle of a black night with only flare pots for r/w lights.

We did not only this, but operated routinely from dirt and other broken up type runways, usually coming over the field at Fl230, establishing radio contact with the ground operator, dropping the gear and flaps to 40 degrees, power to idle, and 2 and a half steep turns later we were on final.

Pay was good for the time, and from what I understand is still close to the same.

Great folks to work with, GM Fernando Brito is tops, the housing was above standards for the situation, and the bullet holes could usually be patched before the next dispatch.

I think they are hiring locals for some positions, but the ex-pat pilot situation is strong, and if you are an adventure seeker, Transafrik could be for you.

Wanna-bees and self-important players probably wouldn't do well here.

Team members with a capital "T" are the norm in Angola.

Good Luck...

crack up
15th May 2003, 03:19
Downin3green:
Thanks, I worked W. Africa in the 80's, Central America, 90's to present, Africa posts always had better rotation. Saw that Transafrik was looking for Herk drivers, sounded OK. Sounds like a good bunch.
Thanks again.

GWN type
14th Oct 2003, 12:21
Does anyone know what the status if TransAfric, operating out of Luanda, is is these days?

juba
14th Oct 2003, 21:00
As far as I know TransAfrik are going stong - they have about 5 herc's operating out of Lokichoggio (depending on the time of the year) and are still busy in Luanda - not sure about the 727's though. They had an ad on climb to 350 a few months ago looking for crew!
Cheers

BAe 146-100
14th Oct 2003, 22:34
Hi,

TransAfrik currently operate 9 727-100's and 1 727-200.

BAe 146-100

Sheep Guts
15th Oct 2003, 08:05
Are these aircraft in "N" Reg or local?

international hog driver
15th Oct 2003, 16:32
News is not all good,

A lot of the local 727 crews have been put off, Hercs are relatively busy but Angola is not.

S9 registered, I believe they are down to 3 operational 72's (1x200 & 2x100's) One of the 100's was scrapped in LAD a few weeks back and they lost the UN Fuel contract to Gemini.

So basically 72's are almost history and the Hercs are busy between Malange and Lobito but thats about it.:cool:

bafanguy
31st Oct 2004, 22:39
They're hiring C130 and B727 crews...according to their website. So, tell me about them. Pay ? How they treat you ? Is your life in danger ? Would YOU work for them ?

Thanks.

1st Nov 2004, 07:03
I have known a few guys who flew for Transafrik. Pay seems good and they seemed to look after their crews.
When you ask about safety/danger, consider where you will be operating!! They have had aircraft shot down in Angola in 1998, I think, even though they were painted white with really big UN and WFP markings!!
I would fly for them.

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Nov 2004, 07:17
They've been taking pay cuts the last couple of years. I think they may also have sold one or two of their aircraft.

Any more info, anyone?

Skylark3
6th Nov 2004, 15:49
Hello Guys,

I found this small movie on a Belgian website.
Its GREAT! Its from Transafrique.

http://www.cekool.com/tankers.wmv

Let me know what you think about it!

Somewhere I hope I'll do this with the 767 I fly too! :-)

Keep it in the air!!

Cheers... Skylark3 :ok:

helldog
7th Nov 2004, 06:45
Does anyone know the requirements for Transafrik. They are looking. But do they require a rating? Provide training? I am going to apply anyway.

Skylark3
7th Nov 2004, 14:17
Hello Helldog,

Well... I dont know the req. but I think when you just finished your flyingschool this is not the airline to start.
Did you see the video?
Checkout www.ppjn.com or flightinternational.com for vacancies.
Goodluck!
Skylark3 :ok:

Herc Jerk
11th Nov 2004, 14:43
Ask yourselves these questions very honestly;

Do you have serious thrill issues?

Are you the toughest, hardest SoB you know?

Are you always last man drinking?

Are you prepared to forgo eating, sleeping and bathing in no particular order to get the job done? For days at a time? For three months at a time?

When you hear of a new war starting somewhere... will you think "damn i hope we get a contract, at least then we'll get war-pay..."

Will the sight of automatic weapons, RPGs, landmines cooking off, polio victims and the genrally limb-less and destitute not faze you in the least?

...so if you can answer a resounding "Yeah, so what?" to my questions then Transafrik wants YOU!

BwaHaHAHA!!

HJ

"The Tough Survive...
... only the Crazy Come Back"

bafanguy
11th Nov 2004, 19:07
Herc,

OK...OK !!! You talked me out of it. I'm none of those things.

helldog
12th Nov 2004, 02:17
-Thrill issues? Yep, problem is there is no thrill in flying tourists.

-Toughest, hardest SoB? Well not really, but getting there.

-Always last man drinking? Nearly always. Malaria stops me sometimes.

-Food, showers? Who needs 'em.

-War zones? Been there, a few times.

-Bombs? Automatic weapons? Had them pointed at me before.

My question? Where do I sign?:E

AIRLEBANON
12th Nov 2004, 02:45
Hello

Listening to the Video Clip kindly Provided I must say that this Airline is Crazy 300 Hours per Month for an Aircraft is taking the Bisquit, I mean come on They must be fidding them Aircrafts Steriod Fuels and also Talking about the Condition of the Airline in the Video Clip and the Vivid Discription you entered with rgards to War Pay and Being a though person, I think you have Discribed me fully, I would love to as much as Its crazy work for this Airline especially if I am going to be allowed to fly many of these 300 hours per month would be great for building hours where do I sign up after I gfinish my Training in 18 Months time I hope, as for being thought I lived in South Lebanon from the late Eighties to the mid Ninties so am as War experienced than many people althought I was a youngster I still remember many things.
I say if anyone is considering working these 300 hours a Months shifts it will give you a great step in the door with most companies as they will see your loads of hours and then see your dedication and you never know.

Many regards
AirLebanon

helldog
13th Nov 2004, 06:48
Thanks for the vid skylark, that was just awesome. Vr, stick shaker the whole way. Unreal.

Skylark3
13th Nov 2004, 18:01
Hi guys,

Yeah this video is just GREAT!
But I dont think it is having the stickshaker at Vr.
My former instuctor on the 767 had more then 10.000hrs
on the 727 and I asked him and he said that you would at least see the mans arms shaking when having the shaker.
But wel... hard word for the guys.

Its time for a beer... Take care!
Skylark3 :ok:

13th Nov 2004, 21:35
Its not a stick shaker, but a shaking stick caused by the uneven, gravel runway!

helldog
16th Nov 2004, 17:24
well I am no jet jock but it just sounds like the frequency of the noise is like I have heard on other videos with the shaker going. Maybe you cant see the arms shaking because it is low quality video. Also you hear the dude say 'hold off on the gear'. I think. Anyway good vid.

JJflyer
17th Nov 2004, 00:14
Sorry to rain on your parade gents. TA is not for the faint hearted nor is it for the inexperienced "Just graduated from flying school" types.

Not being local pilot one needs to have a considerable experience in the types operated by TA. Most of the guys working there have several thousand hours in them and are in the case of the L100 ex military and with the B727 flown it with airlines

During the course of my carreer I have met many ex and present TA pilots and none of them are low time or inexperienced (Well some of the Angolan copis where)

After watching the clip. I does sond like the stickshaker, wether there is a fault in the system or it is a real warning is another thing. He might have been doing sort of a "soft field TO "where he kept the nose wheel up until airborne.
With over 2500h in the B727... well It looke funky:E

JJ

Twin2040
17th Nov 2004, 09:47
Hi. Having bush/shortfield experience + 727-100 experience it seems that JJ flyer is more than right about not being fainthearted . I would say it is the stick shacker as well. 727s were not excactly constructed for this kind og work- but this clip shows just versataile these old machines are.
Are you ever going to see a A320 doing this stuff 20 years down the line. I think not............. this kind of flying is no beginners territory.

Regards Twin2040.

Skylark3
21st Nov 2004, 13:22
Hi Twin and JJ,

I totally agree. The guy said in the film that they flew 300hrs a month. Duty reulations? :}
What are you guys flying?

Although I think this is one of the best small aviation films I know.
Hard work :D

Well its time to report!
Cu!
Skylark3:ok:

fireitup
21st Nov 2004, 17:52
Was TA flying the fuel into Angola?

Anyone seen any 727/707 tankers hanging around the aprons of this weird and wonderful continent?

Heard some stories about the drops into south sudan...seems they can really operate and get the job done!

Safe skies and cold ones guys!
Fire:ok:

oligoe
24th Nov 2004, 22:30
If somebody is interested I ve recorded the full video that came on the french TV in a Divx format. If the moderator allows me to put the Emule link on the forum as I know they are fighting against Piracy. It should not be the case as I recorded it directly from TV(?). It s going trough the whole story of Air Gemini (72s) and Transfrik 72s and Hercs, showing incredible operations, a "must see" !

Jelly Doughnut
24th Nov 2004, 23:45
Oligoe,
very interested in that, check your pm's
cheers
JD

BUSHJEPPY
25th Nov 2004, 07:25
oligioe,

Tks for that! I'll be interested. Can you post the name of the file and I'll shall be able to find it on Emule

Cheers
Bushjeppy

oligoe
25th Nov 2004, 13:40
OK, so that s the link

ed2k://|file|Transafrik_AirGemini_B727_L100.AVI|643442176|E2C9A8143 465C6FEE9BB25E3E69DE2AC|/

file name is Transafrik_AirGemini_B727_L100.AVI.
Good luck,

oli

Herc Jerk
9th Dec 2004, 05:50
Oli,

I remember those guys flying with us last year, maybe the year before even, in Angola and was hoping to get a copy of the movie, but the language was a bit of a barrier. But it seems you're the man...

I tried searching the Emule data base for that file name and other things like Transafrik and C130 but came up with nothing. Possibly i need to download the Emule program first before i can search for filenames?

My Transafrik days are over but i would like a copy of that video, any help appreciated.

HJ

BUSHJEPPY
9th Dec 2004, 07:06
it's there, on the Mule (Tks Oligoe). It is a more than 600 mb AVI file and so far only managed to download 40 mb since. Not much ressources available and I will soon give up. Pity, I would have loved to see it.

Bushjeppy

Herc Jerk
16th Dec 2004, 02:27
Guys, is there any way to speed up the download from this Emule? A mate, who has cable internet, is trying to download Oligoe's video for me but is getting less than a 56k dowload speed.

Is something set up wrong, or is this as fast as it goes?

If the speed can't be increased maybe someone has the name of the documentary and the producers so that i may be able to get in touch with them.

Thanks

HJ

oligoe
17th Dec 2004, 17:30
Hello,

I think the problem might come from my connection, I only have a 512k DSL line ! But every time I see somebody downloading that particular file I give him straight a "friend slot", so he can download that file for as long as he wants, but I can only give one at time. I know the rate is about 3kb/s. Sorry it's gonna take a few more days. Good luck anyway,

Oligoe

Jelly Doughnut
17th Dec 2004, 19:13
Herc Jerk

How's VB?

I have a mate with 24-hour broadband attempting a download for me at the moment... will let you know the result.

The full documentary was broadcast on French tv back in April.

http://www.france5.fr/articles/W00068/1330/

Any French-speaking ppruners able to find out if TV France5 will sell a video of the program?

cheers :ok:
JD

oligoe
19th Dec 2004, 17:48
According their website they are not allowed to sell to videos because they don't have the rights for it.
I will continu my search on the web and keep you informed,

Oligoe

Herc Jerk
21st Dec 2004, 00:38
Thanks for your help Oligoe, really appreciate any info you come up with.

JD, VB ok, where are you?

KiloBravo14
5th Jan 2005, 14:40
Hey guys, just watched that vid of T/A, and I can add some details for you. The guy in the vid is Joao Amaral, and I had the absolute honor of working for him for a year in Luanda, not on 727, but BE20. This guy is an absolute legend. He used to fly choppers in the Angolan airforce before moving over to T/A, and Air Gemini. He speaks no lies when he talks of flying 300+ hours a month. The centerpiece of his bar at home, is a plaque from Lockheed, congratulating him on his 15000th hr in C-130's!!! Add another 12000 in 727's IN ANGOLA ALONE, you gotta salute him. We flew the King air for his security company called LINCE SERVISOS, transporting " valuable goods ", and were often pulling out the graphs, at the same strips where the 727's used to deliver diesel to. Its the most spectacular sight in aviation to see them operate in and out of 1000m strips, carrying the kinds of loads that makes Illyusion 76 drivers sweat pure smirnoff. Joao Amaral, I salute you

Jetstream_lover
27th Oct 2005, 09:40
Hi
Ive done a search for this company on Prune, not much on it though. Just basically looking to see what the minimum hour requirements are to join the company as a co pilot.
Cheers

south coast
27th Oct 2005, 10:46
to work hard, be prepared to stay in sh*te accomodation and not ask questions about servicability of aircraft...but on the upside, they do pay you well for your efforts....

MysticFlyer
27th Oct 2005, 10:53
Try typing Transafrik - www.transafrik.com

This will get you to their site, but won't answer your minimum requirements question.

Jetstream_lover
27th Oct 2005, 11:00
That i can do, but like i said before, what i cant seem to find is what are the min hour requirements for the company. And as far as im aware there is only one place in the world where you can get a L100 rating and that in Belgium i think.
So if any one knows min hours would appreciate it!!!
Cheers

oligoe
27th Oct 2005, 11:51
As far I aware of they don't provide any type rating, they just have a c130 simulator to rent. But you can ask.
I asked Safair in SA if they would sell L100 ratings but did never get any answer.
Same for the 727, I didn't find a TRTO selling 72 ratings.
Regards.

og

Jetstream_lover
27th Oct 2005, 12:04
OK, Well someone must know of a place where a L100 rating or 727 rating can happen, surely certain member on this forum fly 72's or L100's for someone, especially SAFAIR crew!!!!

Atlanta-Driver
27th Oct 2005, 15:31
Don't think about getting a 727 rating, fairly useless these days. TA will not take you with no time in type either, unless you are local.

There are quite a few very experienced L100/C130 pilots around so same rule applies to that type. My understanding was that TA was selling their fleet of L100's ?????

Jelly Doughnut
28th Oct 2005, 15:36
Looked into it a few years ago while in Luanda. Chief pilot on the Hercs is (was?) Bugs van Rooyen.

I think you can do an abbreviated 'class' rating in Florida somewhere. This then gets validated by the CAA in Sao Tome where TA's aircraft are registered.

Is Herc Jerk still lurking on pprune? He went down this route and should have all the info. He even made it onto French tv:D

Good luck.. :ok:

south coast
28th Oct 2005, 15:59
the last i knew, pete gardner was the chief pilot at transafrik.

Beta Light
28th Oct 2005, 16:18
SAFAIR don't do individual ratings, only for organizations on contract base, and as long as you won't end up being the opposition.

TransAfric will only take you with heaps of experiance.

737 Rating means more then 727 rating.

If you really want Herck rating, SAFIAR use to do refreshers with Reflectone in Tampa, Florida. They might be willing to take your money.

Jacobest
29th Oct 2005, 17:20
If you really want to fly C-130's, why not put your cv in with Safair.
They might be looking for crew right now.
Jelly Doughnut Capt Bugs is back with Safair as are most of the guys that left Safair.
If you get a job with Safair they provide you with the conversion.
Training bond, but not sure how much.
There has been a great re-shuffle of management at Safair as of late (al good) so give it a go.
You might never know what will happen

:ok:

Eva San
10th Nov 2005, 08:01
Some comment on the spiral approach topic reminded me this Transafrik video I had heard of...
If anybody still has it, I would deeply appreciate a link of some sort as the E2DK file seems to have no longer any source.

Cheers.

oligoe
16th Nov 2005, 11:16
Hello,

Make a search on Emule for Transafrik. Try to use razorback 2 as server. If you still can't find it, PM me.

Regards,
og

oligoe
16th Nov 2005, 17:44
And here is the new Emule link....

ed2k://|file|Just%20Planes%20Transafrik_AirGemini_Boeing_727_L100-1.avi|635568116|A02DDE207840C9201296263E3AA533DD|/

B727
16th Nov 2005, 23:14
Oligoe,

Havin trouble even finding this link.... any help??

Cheers,
B727

oligoe
30th Nov 2005, 12:29
While we are just talking about Transafrik, check out the pictures on that link. It is not transafrik, but It is really impressive.

Anybody knows where this is ? Looks like affretair DC-8 on the pic.

http://gallery.radiocockpit.com/album88

Og

N1/TOGA
11th Jul 2006, 12:38
you can watch, download or buy the DVD here :
http://www.vodeo.tv/4-32-2088-tankers-en-plein-ciel.html

Beta Light
12th Jul 2006, 06:21
I was fortunate to work for them in the late 80’s / early 90’s. Herk Jerk summarize it well. Was some of the best camaraderie you will find, it was definitely “WORK HARD PLAY HARD”. Some of the best guys around. Legends like Uncle Johnny Wilkenson (R.I.P. Oom Johnny) and others – still living so will not be named.

As far as operation it was never S.O.P. but pretty much standard to keep the nose wheel of both the C130 and ’72 off on a rough strip. . You would need lots of time on type not only for insurance (not that there is much ) and some of the U.N. / W.F.P. contracts demand it. Tough flying like spiral at night into towns as dark as a witch’s armpit, only light was from the tracers flying around was standerd.

If you are young and no family go for it !!!!

liftman
2nd Nov 2007, 18:10
Hi Guys,

what about transafrik? Roster, payscale lifestyle etc?

Cheers

ARENDIII
25th Nov 2007, 20:52
Never worked for them unfortunately,but have chatted to them on ramps around the world, best bunch of chaps you could ever hope to meet-HARD AS NAILS! I work for the opposition.
Fly safe guys!
(any chance of a job?):)

amerioca
7th Jul 2008, 05:43
Depends where they send you to fly. Lately they also fly on contract for National Air Cargo in Iraq and Afghanistan, while the base for the a/c's is in Fujaira.

Payscale in Africa is significantly less then in ME due to high per diem in ME. PIC C-130 around 3500.00$ base, in Africa 50$ per diem. Housing is supplied with privately leased properties. Nothing fancy but acceptable. (shared bathrooms). Per diem in ME around 180$. Housing supplied either on US airbases in Iraq or in hotel in Fujaira.

Crews are stationed on 3 month contract in various locations in DRC, Uganda and Kigoma, Tanzania. 1 month off but only paid if contract is renewed.

90% crews are fromer Philipino AF.

tu144
2nd Feb 2012, 02:42
Does anyone have any updated links to those videos and pictures? The ones posted are all dead. Thnks

joe north
6th Feb 2012, 18:14
Hey anyone out there from 03, 04 drc loki

Whenwe
7th Feb 2012, 04:28
Does anyone know if Buks van Rooyen is still around? Would appreciate it.

joaosul
9th Feb 2016, 18:20
Thanks for your comment I really apreciate.To all the guys I just want to reffer, that all of that as true, and as been done under a really war environnment.This video is not to much about me,but is one of few documents to testify the type of aviation that we done to survive against a ferouceous war.Obviously nome of that would be possible nowadays.I had the pleasure to fly with great pilots with a lot of skills from diferent Nations, some of they are not alive, but what I have to say is, what we have done there is something beyound the imaginable, I render my tribute to my all fellows that have been involved in This Operations in Angola.May God bless you all.As we use to say, only the toughs.
João Amaral
Pst excuse my English

DC10FE
26th Feb 2016, 14:25
Hi Joao. I agree with you. In my 7 years with Transafrik on the Herc and the 727, I also flew with some of the best pilots in the world in a very hostile environment. After leaving Transafrik in 1995, the DC-10 was pretty boring.
Don R.

subsix9
28th Feb 2016, 16:09
for transafric need a type in the equip and a very big pair of balls. nuf said
jack Peg
89-2000