PDA

View Full Version : RSA Pilots in the USA

Johnny Rocket
19th Aug 2000, 02:45
I am trying to make contact with any SA expats flying in the USA.( If any )
Please drop me a line.

glassoes
21st Aug 2000, 02:24
Ex-SAAF, Ex-Comair, now a B777 F/O for Continental, how may I be of assistance - excluding of course immigration issues.

Skaz
23rd Aug 2000, 22:50
Glassoes ... That would be the first issue a lot of guys would want info on!
Instead of a hundred pilots promising to walk your dog and paint your house etc, how about just some sound advice or contacts even :) on how someone wanting to get into the states and make a career as pilot, can go about it.
I dont know about Johny boy, or any other guys interested in this topic, but I am no freeloader and earn my privilidges.
Would appreciate any info though...thanks

Antman
23rd Aug 2000, 23:46
I'm with Skaz.

Glassoes
That whould really be appreciated.
By the way when were you with Comair.

glassoes
24th Aug 2000, 03:15
Immigration is the biggest issue and despite all the talk about pilot shortages, being a pilot, in and of itself, is not going to get you in. A student visa or a job offer are probably the best way to get in, at least temporarily. Job offers aren't that hard to come by if you're willing to come in as a CFI, and are willing to work your a** off.

Geting a good job is not as easy as it sounds either. The airlines will take a 500 hour pilot with a college degree before they take a 10,000 hour pilot without one, which can be a hard pill to swallow for an Air Force trained high school graduate like myself.

All in all though, the US is the place to be for an airline career. The pay is the best in the world and the working conditions are excellent. I only work about 12 days a month and earn around $150K.

I was at Comair in 1984 and 1985.

Cheers,

Glasso's

Skaz
24th Aug 2000, 13:21
Thank you Glassoes, that is quite helpfull.
The basic Gen I have heard from other sources as well, is that a degree is preferable. I am in the process of applying for admission to an Embry-Riddle Degree program. Could you give an indication on how the industry over there percieves these degrees? Itsa helluva lotta bucks, bru!!

I have also been told that the "pilot shortage" is ficticious ?

Does going to an institution like Flightsafety and doing the FAA ATPL & CFI for the off chance of getting a work or residence permit off your student visa sound like a good idea ? That is plan A at this stage as nothing else seems worthwile.

Thanks for the info.

Kubota
24th Aug 2000, 13:38
To get into the US, you need a green card.

To get a green card, there are two tried and true ways:

1. Apply on the lottery. Chances? About 1 in 250,000.

2. Marry an American Girl. Chances? About 1 in 100. Fact. Your choice.

Voorspoed, boet.

glassoes
24th Aug 2000, 17:06
Skaz,

Embry-Riddle is viewed very favourably by the airline industry. Also I would recommend getting the FAA certificates because they are useful and are widely recognised worldwide.

Good luck!

Glasso's

Skaz
25th Aug 2000, 15:07
Thanks Glassoes, heard the gen about the ERAU degrees from some US airlines as well. Please confirm though what you mean with FAA "certificates" ?

~~~ Flight of the Skajaquada ~~~

glassoes
27th Aug 2000, 01:26
"certificates" = licenses