View Full Version : Brazaville

mediflyer
18th Dec 1999, 08:54
Need some info on Brazaville/Congo airport
Any colleagues around, who fly there often?
Anything special I need to know about that place?. I'll be going there 1st time, operating some long haul cargo flights out of the Far East.
I'm also looking for one or two King air's (or similar) and current, experienced
crew, to operate locally. It's a long term project.

Thank's in advance
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by mediflyer (edited 19 December 1999).]

The Guvnor
18th Dec 1999, 10:02
Are you *really* sure you want to go to Brazzaville, Mediflyer? First off, it isn't in Zaire and in any case Zaire no longer exists: it's the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Brazza's a mega dump. We had one of our CL44s operating there earlier this year for six months from Pointe Noir. Unless you have a Congo-Brazzaville AOC, you cannot operate; and the majority of AOC holders down there are seriously dodgy people. Their SOP is to entice people (usually CIS operators - most of the Western bods have wised up) with big offers and deposits of a month or two - or even three - and then when you're down there, you get no more. Try and leave, and the aircraft gets impounded and sold off at auction ... usually to your client!

The banking system wasn't running when we were there so we had to be paid in cash - for which they charged us 10%. Our crews were in pretty poor housing in PNR - one got up for a leak and came back to find a hole in the ceiling and a still-warm AK round on his pillow! However, considerably better than BZV where fighting is still ongoing.

Also, as far as I am aware, there are no exports - especially not to the Far East. They import everything - from PNR - we flew mainly flour up. Really b*ggered up the aircraft!

------------------
Happiness is VR at Lagos!

mediflyer
19th Dec 1999, 17:59
Thank you for your reply, I do know the difference between Congo and Zaire, made a mistake there, sorry for that. I also know that Brazzaville isn't the most popular dest., but unfortunately there seems to be something big going on between China, Zaire, Congo, as well as some other african warzones and therefore lot's of cargo have to be transferred into that region. Perhaps it could be interesting for you too Guvnor ...