PDA

View Full Version : Lagos Radar

Flying Touareg
13th Jul 2007, 23:14
Was reading somewhere today that Nigerian ATC are threatening to go on strike because the new Lagos radar is not working properly?

It seems things will never change:(

But what is really happening? Is the radar not working at all?

Heli-Jet
14th Jul 2007, 02:48
you would think with all the oil money they would have state of the art radar coverage

SpootNICK
14th Jul 2007, 08:36
Flew in and out of Lagos last week,

Complete mess.....100 times worse than before.

Someone is going to get killed in that place very soon. Mark my words.

That place scares me sh1tless everytime i go there.

Thank god for TCAS

SN

Tokunbo
14th Jul 2007, 12:12
HeliJet,

You haven't been to Nigeria have you? Nearly all the oil money is sent to personal accounts in Switzerland :ugh:

SN, just think of one benefit of being scared sh1tless - no need to use the lousy airport toilets :}. But you're right, it's scary and if you ever visit Port Harcourt NAF Base you'll find that even more scary :eek::\

helldog
14th Jul 2007, 13:25
Went to Lagos once, worst day of my life. We were on the ground for about six hours negotiating and fighting with people, paying about 1000+ euro worth of "fees" on top of the normal charges. Before we left we were requested to go and see the radar controller in person. He was on his own in a dark room watching two old monochrome screens giving vectors to BA 747s etc and having a conversation with us. He had a huge smile on his face as he was probably getting a nice slice of the bounty we left. He gave us our start and clearance in person. But hey if it was easy it wouldnt be Africa:ugh:

ZAZOO
14th Jul 2007, 15:55
Hey Yuri, do us a favour dont come back since your scared sh1tless cos mark my words with your comments here I feel you might loose it and get us all into trouble over Lagos someday.

The Radar installed will be fully operational soon actually the lads have been operating out of the mobile tower facility thats parked right next to the grounded BOURAQ DC10 as you turn of the intersection by exit 2 on 18R since the contractors took over the tower for installation of the new systems.

The new devices and monitors radar systems etc unbelievable as it seems are the latest found today from around the world the whole place looks like something from NATS, Eurocontrol etc but offcourse on a smaller scale (went in for a visit and was mesmerized) the foreign installation teams and instructors are there with a few of the local controlers back from training abroad trying to get the whole thing going!

Personally after my tour I felt kindda worried not because of the state of the art technology they had opted for, which I felt is just awesome, but I was worried about the time frame they had envisaged to get the whole thing going fully functional and operational with our controlers on deck.

What I am saying is I kindda felt they would need more time!!!

But believe me they have good intentions and are in high spirits, and the locals pilots are also watching because unlike what some people just go ranting about here we too want the control of our airspace to change and improve.

Lastly and most importantly I pray they will maintain and take proper care of what they have installed cos that is one of the biggest problems we have in this country.