PDA

View Full Version : Lusaka Zambia/Prestonair

jetjackel
5th Apr 2000, 20:13
Years ago, about 25 years ago, I flew BE-58 for a Lusaka based company call Prestonair. I left in 1976 and was unable to continue contact. Brian Preston operated the company at the time I was there but I believe his father started the company years early. Just courious as to what happened to Prestonair.

Flying Bean
6th Apr 2000, 23:47
My company is based in Lusaka. I have been their since 1985 and do not know the name or company but will asked some of the older hands.

jetjackel
7th Apr 2000, 00:40
I appreciate it. I left in 1977 and Prestonair was going strong with 3 B-58 Barons and one Duke. It was located at the main airport. If I remember right there was also a general aviation airport located outside Lusaka, but we were at the main airport on the same side as the airline terminal. Also next door was a company called Joint Air. During the time I left many "colonalists" were talking of leaving for South Africa. Possibly Brian Preston accomplished this. It would be interesting to learn what happened to the company. We did a lot of charter work for Zambia Safaris whose base camp was in North Zambia at a place called Waka Waka. Amazing how the brain recalls.

Thanks again.

Flying Bean
9th Apr 2000, 17:55
Yes. The little civil airport in Lusaka city was taken over by the airforce in 1985 and we were all kicked out to International 20 kms outside the city. The Flying club never recovered and faded away.
Waka Waka and Zambia Safaris is still going strong. Mark Harvey in charge. We do quite a few flights for them during the season. Waka Waka still as bumpy as hell.
Zambia scene is quite active. Main Charter guys are Proflite(Tony Irwin - the farming family - famous/infamous??)
Bert Grove at Staravia. The other four companies Airwaves,Stabo,Avocet,and AirSafaris(mine) have just combined our fleet into one company.
Commercial Schdeuled it is Zambian Airways (brand new) Eastern Air (on the Up) Aero Zambia (on the way down) and Taffy Hughes is STILL surviving on the Copperbelt (GOd Knows how!!)
Cheers

The Guvnor
10th Apr 2000, 20:53
What happened to Gerrit van Boxtel (Vanair) - and that ex Zambia Airways Chief Pilot that got his own airline up and running? Can't remember his name offhand but if you mention it I'll remember - ex Major in the Air Force, I seem to recall.

------------------
:) Happiness is a warm L1011 :)

jetjackel
10th Apr 2000, 23:52
Flying Bean and the Guvnor,

Thanks for the imput. If you hear anything about what happened to Prestonair let me know. Also, who owns Zambia Safaris? Use to be Curtis Transport (Kerry Curtis)

No, happiness is a short, 3 hour leg, in a MD-83. Don't care for the long haul. Been there and done it in DC-8's.

Stay safe.

sad spaniel
12th Apr 2000, 14:57
Do any of the airlines in Zambia take guys from the UK with low hours? I've a CAA frozen ATPL with an IR and Multi-rating plus an instructor rating and 250 hrs hands on flying time. I've also got 980 hrs as a Navigator in the RAF - 780 on the Tornado F3 (the fighter version) and all the experience that goes with that. I lived in Mufulira when I was younger with my dad who worked in the copper mine. Wouldn't mind going back and seeing the place again for a few years.
PS my e-mail is [email protected] if any one has any info

Flying Bean
16th Apr 2000, 13:53
GUVNOR

Sad story I'm afraid. Van Boxtel and I shared a C206 for 3/4 years when I first arrived in Zambia in 1983. we did a lot of work together in the Commercial Flying sector.
He was down in Joburg seeing me and other business in Aug 1994, found a cancerous melanoma lump under his arm and died in December. Frighteningly fast.
Sam Walker was the ex ZAF major. Also a good friend. Did my conversions with him when I first arrived in Zambia. Flew for everyone and ended up as a partner with Proflite but died in 1998 from brain tumour.
Andrew Spence is still around. Airline Jockey, best in Zambia. Flew for Zambia Airways, then Chief Pilot for Aero Zambia. Not sure where he is now with Aero Zambia grounded.

sad spaniel

Zero recruiting from overseas, too much local available. Pay is about $500 per month.
People come here to build hours.

BIG B
17th Apr 2000, 21:36
does anyone know if Staravia has a website or an e-mail address?

Flying Bean
18th Apr 2000, 16:43
Big B

[email protected]

Cheers