PDA

View Full Version : Best school for modular

justjoshing
13th Jul 2007, 12:18
What is the best school to start modular traning, after you have finished your ppl.I hear cabair are the most reconized by airlines for modular but OAT are also good, I just think if i was to do modular I would try to find the very best school for it to maximise employment chances.

Has anyone ever visited, or had any first hand accounts with an FTO called flight safety academy in the USA.I was wondering if they to a JAA intergrated course and how much it costs.

Thanks Josh

captain_rossco
13th Jul 2007, 16:59
josh,
Its a personal thing, go to the school that you think will work best for YOU. Once you find a school (post ATPL groundschool), try to stick with them, going to a bad school will probably be less of a problem than going to several, (one for multi, one for CPL, one for IR etc) as its fairly important at that stage of the course that your training is 'monitored' not easily done if you're flitting from provider to provider.

But then you'd know that from all your questions on the ASK Oxford forum right?

Kind Regards

CR

AlphaMale
14th Jul 2007, 15:26
FlyerGuy

I have made two routes to getting a fATPL dependant upon my situation in 18 months time (Job/Pay/Savings/Time Off etc).

I have included 'Airways Flight Training' onto option 2 (being the Multi CPL/IR) after gaining my JAA/FAA PPL, Radio Licence, JAA Night, 100 Hours PIC, JAA MEP with OBA (due to the cheap rate and speedy progress with the Florida weather), and then coming home and doing my ATPL via BGS.

Do you currently fly for a living?

How many students have you kept in touch with have landed RHS with BizJet/Airlines/Cargo aircraft?

I don't hear all that much about Airways, not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Thanks in advance.

justjoshing - Sorry for the HiJack. But from what I have read on this forum employers don't seem to mind where you did the licence - so long as you have one. The Sim check will show them what you know and how you can adapt/progress. Good luck.

will fly for food 06
15th Jul 2007, 09:46
I certainly wouldnt go down the modular route with cabair. Bcft are able to do all the parts of the modular route too so id advise you to add them to the list of places to visit before deciding.

justjoshing
15th Jul 2007, 11:56
Thanks for your advice guys.I understand modular is alot cheaper than intergrated, but the employment is slightly restricted.Are there many pilots on this forum who went down the modular route, as I would love them to email me there stories of where they went to and how they funded there traning ect.
Im not trying to start a modular vs intergrated, as I no I would prefer modular so I could do my taning bit my bit and becuse its less expensive.My only worry with modular is I just dont want to finish all the traning, then never get a job with an airline

Which are the airlines that employ modular students, or which is the best way for a modular student to gain employment.

Kind regards

Josh

wbryce
15th Jul 2007, 12:46
Josh, I think your reading too much into the integrated marketing waffle...

its true an integrated trained candidate may get slightly more preferential treatment with some airlines but to say your chances are limited then this is not true.

If you were an airline assessor doing two interviews, one person modular trained and one integrated, if the modular candidate out performs in the sim and the interview, hes got the job, simple as!

Doing an integrated course does not guarantee you a job.

The modular route puts out alot more pilots and its inevitable they will all get jobs whether its 1 week or 1 year, this part depends on your own methods, technique, skill set and the current market.

captain_rossco
15th Jul 2007, 15:18
Just Joshing,

Your spelling and grammar (if you are 17) is crap, and will stop you getting a job way before your training route does.

You may wish to go and check some places out buddy, get a feel for them and see what will fit in with your plans.

I know nobody who went Integrated, I also know nobody who is unemployed. Modular is just fine, sure we'd probably all go Integrated if we could, but we can't so that's that.

Every day is a different question, and everyday is a new question that has been answered at extreme length already on the Prune.

Kind Regards

CR

justjoshing
15th Jul 2007, 15:32
Thanks guys.
Does anybody have an idea of what a full modular course would cost in the uk?

wbryce
15th Jul 2007, 16:04
Everyone spends differently but you would be talking 40-45k, im on course to spend around 50k but I treated myself a bit! :}

The point to remember is if you choose modular then you don't need the total amount required to start your training. I started paying for my flying when I was 18 while in full time employment, i'm now 22 and i've saved up enough for my CPL/IR and we're all entitled to the career development loan (maximum 8k interest free loan while out of employment and you dont start paying it back until your employed) which I may use for the FI rating.

Adios
15th Jul 2007, 16:13
Josh,

Just the training will probably cost you about £40K.