PDA

View Full Version : Leave periods

vecvechookattack
12th Jul 2007, 20:32
I understand that the process of having block leave periods may be coming to an end at that we may be able to take leave when we want to rather than having 2 weeks at easter,summer and Christmas and thats it.

Any one else heard that rumour?

start_cx
12th Jul 2007, 20:42
Where do you work then?? "Take leave when you want to"???? You're having a laugh!!!

I dream of having block leave periods, they went quite a while ago for us. They were the only times we could count on getting at least get a 2-3 week break, now all our leave is tagged on to post deployment wind-down and the odd week off here and there pre-deployment.

Pontius Navigator
12th Jul 2007, 20:45
The advantages of lean are maintaining a constant output. Block leave with a whole 6 week shut down is not lean :}

SirToppamHat
12th Jul 2007, 21:00
What's Leave?

STH

whowhenwhy
12th Jul 2007, 21:10
STH, unless I'm much mistaken about your profession, since when did you have a problem taking leave? Or have you made the ultimate mistake of making yourself indispensable in an organisation where no-one is supposed to be indispensable?:E

Widger
13th Jul 2007, 10:07
Block leave is great, at least you are able to plan your life and it means that you don't have a whole year of trying to fit everyones leave in around courses and ops. As it normally co-incides with the school holidays, that is also a big advantage.

Only downside is it is the most expensive time of the year.

Very important for those who actually have a life!:)

Seldomfitforpurpose
13th Jul 2007, 12:26
Spoken like a true BLUNTY Widger :rolleyes:

Melchett01
13th Jul 2007, 16:52
As swiss tony would say

Ahhhh, Swiss Tony. A man with for whom every occassion is like making love to a beautiful woman. I wonder if he will become the new Tsun Tzu, quoted by all and sundry? Would make Shriv an awful lot more interesting.....

"..... and as argued by Swiss Tony, British Middle East foreign policy in the early part of the 21st century was often very much like making love to a beautiful woman: very expensive, very messy and all too frequently left far too late to try and pull out....."

Widger
14th Jul 2007, 14:26
Bin there....done that.....got the T-shirt....put the time in.....................:E:E:E:E:ok:

Wensleydale
14th Jul 2007, 17:17
Here's one to try on your Boss...................

If you have 15 days to carry over...............
Add it to your 30 days annual.....................
Add in 7 Bank Holidays/days standdown........

Hey presto,
Take every Monday off for a whole year!

Si Clik
15th Jul 2007, 19:38
VVHA,

Your rumour control would have been solved if you had just asked someone at work. It is no secret that both NAS are to follow the rest of the Armed Forces and dispense with block leave. Having served in both the HQ and with the RAF where this has been always the case it was anachronistic to continue.

Si

Magp1e
15th Jul 2007, 21:43
My field doesn't have block leave, so the number of personnel who can go on leave at the same time is limited....This leads to quite a bun fight during popular periods like half terms and summer holidays.

Manning gets a little tight too with people on leave, detatched or on courses. Those left still have to get the job done...no you won't get an increase in establishment to cover this!

Widger
16th Jul 2007, 08:26
It is not anachronistic. It is yet another erosion of peoples terms of service.

Pay as you starve,
LSSB,
RAs paying for lunch,
Duty travel
Pensions
Sub standard quarters
and now removal of a key tenet of PFS, block leave whilst in a shore billet, leave to coincide where possible with the school holidays.

Chop chop snip snip snip!

Before we have any more comments about Blunties, I am talking about Shore Postings.

Strictly Jungly
17th Jul 2007, 14:01
How would the removal of block leave work in Training establishments?
You couldn't have the Phase 2 trainees taking leave "when they want to", it wouldnt work!

Pontius Navigator
17th Jul 2007, 14:24
I have only been on one unit that had block leave. It ran short courses of up to 4 weeks so it was easy to programme August as a quiet month and go on block leave for 3-weeks which allowed minimal manning. Then the Cold War ramped up and Tacevals began in UK in earnest. Block leave and 70% manning did not equate.

I could work for training units and units in training status. In the RN case it was either all in or all out. Once a ship (sqn) was non-operational then there was no benefit trying to remain operational with 70% manning. Now, with so few units in training there is probably not the scope to shut down a whole station or unit.