PDA

View Full Version : CAA suspends pilots

Spray boy
12th Jul 2007, 17:59
I do believe CAA have suspended two Van pilots, licences, for flying well over-weight, wrong number of pax on the weight and balance, above FL120 without having oxygen on hand for the pilots and generally poor paperwork...............oh and for nearly running out of fuel, not to mention a few other transgressions.:D

When are these young pilots going to learn that being Rambo for the operator does not earn them any brownie points when something goes wrong.:ugh:

But the best is, I believe each one blamed the other for the mess up....nothing like polling your maartjie up the naught.::=

What a pleasure CAA is doing something positive about incidents like this.:D

Ja boet.:8

JetPark
13th Jul 2007, 06:27
At last!!!! You mean a "new" CAA with teeth? A CAA conducting itself in an appropriate manner and paying attention to the things that matter? What a pleasure. It's about time. I :{ at the things that go on under the industry's nose and nothing happens. Maybe, just maybe our CAA are getting it together. This particular incident to which you refer is but the tip of the iceberg. There are plenty of "fly by nights" out there. And it's not just 135 operations - I have seen 121 operations that need a "closer" look:eek:

Balloothebear
13th Jul 2007, 07:03
These chaps deserve to have their wrists slapped and ar_es kicked.
HOWEVER, it is a pointless execise if SACAA only does it now, with "Big brother" watching, and then, when "Big brother" goes back to the states or europe, they return to their paultry ways.
If SACAA keeps it up and starts auditing and checking ALL 121/135 operators, and exposes all their transgressions, brings them to book and deals out punishment in accordance with the Aviation Offences Act No 10 of 1972 and Part 185, then I will be impressed, otherwise, these poor sods have just been made an example of,in the name of SACAA saving face infront of "Big Brother":=

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Jul 2007, 07:36
The operators who push crews to overstep the mark are the ones who should be targeted as well. They know there are fifty CVs on the CP's desk, each sent in by a hopeful wannabe who knows better but will transgress the law in the hopes of securing that job. Not saying the crew who did this are innocent but it goes a lot deeper than that. Desperate wannabe's will carry what they're given in unserviceable aircraft in order to get those precious hours that makes them marketable. Weaning yourself off food isn't easy and so long as operators are prepared to pressure crews with the subtle knowledge that there's always someone else who wants their job, this will continue. CAA will need to come down hard on those shonky operators to stamp out these dodgy practices.

Might be worth starting by taking a look at those operators who expect crews to pay for a rating as well as pay for time in the right seat. This smacks of a company culture of costcutting/profiteering that could well be an indication of other dodgy practices.

Contract Dog
13th Jul 2007, 09:28
Well put SRT, the youung pilots are under huge opperator pressure. I met a CAA auditor in Vic Falls once who said that they will nail the pilot if he is flying a 1900 over, but anything like a Van and smaller, they would go after the opperator. His reasoning was that the 1900 driver has had enough time in the industry to grow a pair and stand up to the opperator??? Guess that they have decided to go for the soft targets in this case :hmm:

Dog

divinehover
16th Jul 2007, 07:10
The operator has had his license suspended and a charge hads been laid with the SAPS