View Full Version : Info On HRE and LLW

Cujo Vom Drachenbrau
24th Nov 1999, 03:47
Hello out there in PPRuNe world!
This is the first post of a long time lurker.
I am looking for some gen on HRE (Harare, Zimbabwe) and LLW (Lilongwe, Malawi). I'm headed there first week in December and will probably spend 2-3 days in each spot. Any info on bars,restaurants, hotels (good and bad)and general survival tips would be appreciated. I am going to post this on the Night Stop forum as well. Thanks in advance!

------------------
The weather? It doesn't matter - we're going anyway.

Sprayline
24th Nov 1999, 20:39
In Harare, nice runway, crap terminal, watch out for people bumping into your rental to make you stop, cresta Lodge is an affordable place to stay a bit out of town but that is what you want. Zimbos are friendly people but a bit of suspicion won't harm you.
Two places to drink, the Keg and the Cricket ground.

Very hot in Dec, have fun

Kingpilot
25th Nov 1999, 12:55
HRE- The top two hotels are Sheraton and Miekles. Sheraton is where the birdseed crews stay but most people who know about these things will tell you that the miekles is definitely the better. In the more affordable range I have to agree that cresta lodge is the best, not too far from the main airport. Come for a quiet one at Mashonaland Flying Club, which is at Charles Prince Airport, if you want to be among aviation types. Otherwise Brannigans is literally around the corner from cresta and is good fun most nights.

LLW- I've been there alot but can't tell you much. The Capital is about the only Hotel but is a complete rip-off. 5 star prices for 2 star facilities. There is a private guest house but I cannot remember what it is called or where to find it.

If you are flying between the two places you will fly through mozambican airspace. You are supposed to contact Beira on either VHF or HF but you will not be able to , even as high as 290. Make your life easier and call Tete twr on 124.9. they have coms with Beira and will be able to give you traffic info. Don't forget 126.9, broadcasts over Africa as advertised on the Jepp enroute charts.

Enjoy!