PDA

View Full Version : Nullarbor strips along the railway.

VH-BOX
12th Jul 2007, 07:31
I am going to be ferrying a Jodel D11 from Tassie to Perth in a few weeks time, and thought I might vary my usual route of 'follow the Eyre highway', by going north and tracking down the railway line instead. Does anybody know the status of the strips at Zanthus and Rawlinna ? I probably don't need to use them, as Forrest to Kalgoorlie is within my endurance, just, but in case of unforeseen circumstances it would be good to know they were available. There is nothing on these strips in either the ERSA or the Country Airstrip Guide, although they are marked on the WAC.

compressor stall
12th Jul 2007, 07:56
Send a PM to Towering Q, he will know.

Towering Q
12th Jul 2007, 10:18
Zanthus cleaned up earlier in the year and still in good nick, Rawlinna in good condition too. I think National Rail have been busy as Kitchener, Karonie and Coonana are all in good shape.

Rawlinna is a bit quiet nowadays with the Loongana Lime operation wound down.

tinpis
12th Jul 2007, 10:31
Last Century all those strips were covered by RFDS Port Augusta
Try them

the wizard of auz
12th Jul 2007, 10:55
there are also good strips at Rawlinna station, Balgair station, loongana siding (well, used to be) coonanna, Kanandah station, Karonie, Zanthus (as already mentioned), Cowarna downs, Kitchener (unsure of condition these days), Gunnadorra station, cundeelee (unsure of condition these days) and a whole bunch of claypans that I have used along the line as well.

tinpis
12th Jul 2007, 12:39
Tin has overnghted with the nice Nurseys in Cook during rabbit plagues.
Also saw a mouse plague but missed the trifecta of foxes.

the wizard of auz
12th Jul 2007, 13:34
I managed to live at Forrest for two years. saw foxes and mice and rabbits in plague proportions pretty regular......and grass hoppers about a foot deep and as far as the eye could see. :eek:

ForkTailedDrKiller
12th Jul 2007, 14:14
Hey Wiz!

You might want to stay on the ground the first week of November.

The Mad Dr is heading west in the Fork-tailed Dr Killer with his Jabawocky driving mate! Should cross the border on the 31st October and be clear of your airspace again by the 6th !!!!

Dr:cool:

the wizard of auz
12th Jul 2007, 14:56
I'll wave as you go winging by then. I'll certainly be in the air, but I'll be a little north of your track unless your coming via Warbo. :}

ForkTailedDrKiller
12th Jul 2007, 21:57
"I'll certainly be in the air, but I'll be a little north of your track unless your coming via Warbo. :}"

Planning to depart your fair State via Warbo, Wiz.

I assume that I can get Avgas there ??

the wizard of auz
13th Jul 2007, 00:33
Yup, you sure can. you might have to drop into my town for an ale. its on track. :ok:

VH-BOX
13th Jul 2007, 03:27
Thanks for all the info guys, options aplenty it seems. All in all it should be a lot simpler than my last effort which was in a J3 cub with 2 hours endurance and an average ground speed of 60mph....bloody westerlies.

ForkTailedDrKiller
13th Jul 2007, 03:38
"you might have to drop into my town for an ale. its on track."

Laverton?

Dr

the wizard of auz
13th Jul 2007, 04:18
YLEO. good overnight spot.

ForkTailedDrKiller
13th Jul 2007, 05:30
Wiz

My info is that Avgas is not available at either Leonora or Laverton. Is that correct?

Dr

the wizard of auz
13th Jul 2007, 16:11
Actually, the shire sell Drum fuel here. It used to be as dear as poison, but they have moderated it somewhat and it is now competitively priced.
Nil fuel available in Laverton.

Towering Q
14th Jul 2007, 00:27
This is a shot of the newer strip at Kybo Station, just south of the railway line and between Loongana and Rawlinna, (correct Wiz?). It was taken on an RFDS clinic flight but unfortunately doesn't show the piles of limestone rock that form 'gable markers' for the old north-south strip, not very forgiving for runway deviations.:uhoh:
Forced landings in this part of the world, away from Station/Railway strips, are a no-brainer, anywhere will do.:ok:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k176/towering_q/Kybo3.jpg

ForkTailedDrKiller
14th Jul 2007, 01:54
Look out Wiz!

The nice lady in the Leonora Council says she will sell me a drum of Avgas for $385.

So the mad Dr and J430 (bad b*gger currently banned from this forum !) are coming to YLEO in the FTDK.