PDA

View Full Version : Mac photoediting software?

Mac the Knife
12th Jul 2007, 06:46
Anyone have any suggestions for half-way decent Mac photo-editing software?

I use PSP on Windows (love it) and GIMP on Linux (hate the quirky interface) - can't afford Photoshop, so free/shareware would be good.

Cloning, smudge, push, colour overlays and all the stuff you need for retouching photos a must.

Thanks

Mac

Background Noise
12th Jul 2007, 09:16
What OS? I was hoping that iphoto did all that for a prospective imac purchase.

green granite
12th Jul 2007, 09:41
Since you already use Gimp on linux, why not use the Mac version? I agree about the quirky interface though. :)

http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/

Mac the Knife
12th Jul 2007, 10:29
Os X 10.4.10

How well does the GIMP work on a Mac?

Is it easy to install or do you have to jump thru hoops?

Thankx

Capt Chambo
12th Jul 2007, 12:11
My kids play with "Seashore". Never used it myself but go have a look!

green granite
12th Jul 2007, 12:20
Is it easy to install or do you have to jump thru hoops?

Can't answer for the MAC version but it installs with no problems on Windows XP

Mac the Knife
12th Jul 2007, 14:54
GIMP working like a charm.

Thanks fellers.

Think I'll give Seashore a whirl too.

Mac

green granite
12th Jul 2007, 17:23
Another satisfied customer :ok: :E

innuendo
12th Jul 2007, 18:14
Photoshop Elements is a very capable program at a price similar to the PSP you used and has essentialy the same features. One drawback at the moment is that it has not been updated for the Intel Macs but now that CS3 has been released it is thought that Adobe will update PSE for the Mac shortly (don't ask me what shortly means).
Unfortunately, for some strange reason, Adobe does not have a trial version of PSE for Mac although they do for Windows.
Another thought might be to try the 30 day trials of Adobe Lightroom or Apple's Aperture. These are slightly different types of programs that while you can adjust and organize images they do not have selections and layers type of editing features. They both have tutorials available that give good explanations of what they are about. They both are around $300 though.

Mac the Knife
13th Jul 2007, 20:03
Thanks everyone for your advice.

All in all, I think I'll wait for the Intel version of Photoshop Elements comes out, though the GIMP works pretty nicely for the moment.

One good turn deserves another, so here's a tip - I was poking around looking for a good Mac text editor, preferably free, to replace my beloved EditPad Pro (has both Windows and Linux versions) when I stumbled across Smultron - http://smultron.sourceforge.net/

Smultron is free (donations appreciated), fast and extremely versatile..

"....tabs, line numbers, support for syntax colouring for many different languages, functions list, support for text encodings, snippets, a toolbar, a status bar, preview, split window, multi-document find and replace with regular expressions, possibility to show invisible characters, authenticated open and saves, command-line utility, full screen editing and running commands and scripts from within the application."

Very very nice app indeed.

Cheers

Mac