PDA

View Full Version : Wilson, Mombasa, the Mara - any news ...

Rafiki
7th Mar 2000, 12:00
Ahh yes - those were the days. Abit slow though - the old Africa forum - nothing much seems to 'pop-up' on my old stomping ground of Mombasa, Wilson Airport and the Mara etc., On the whole great flying. Anyone got any goss? I did hear Airkenya are getting 737s - is this the case? Malindi Air Services sadly lost a Let 5Y-LET last year I believe. Is there a general thinning out of expats these days? What about Skytrail on the coast? Trackmark still going strong?
Asante sana for any input.
---
Rafiki

The Guvnor
7th Mar 2000, 12:46
Just received an email from Airkenya confirming that they have now signed up for their 737s, so yes, that's correct! Heather & Co are still going strong - but due to the political situation in Burundi, we've closed our operations there down.

------------------
:) Happiness is a warm L1011 :)

tuskegee
8th Mar 2000, 05:10
Hey Guv !

Do you have any idea if AirKenya gonna need some 737 pilots ?
What about the requirements ?

Thanks for your help.

tuskegee

The Guvnor
8th Mar 2000, 11:58
No idea - but contact them at [email protected]

------------------
:) Happiness is a warm L1011 :)

tuskegee
9th Mar 2000, 00:20
Thanks for your help !
I will contact them.

Ozgrade3
12th Mar 2000, 09:44
Does anyone know what's happening at Wilson, are they hiring expats, what sort of hours/experience are they wanting, what aircraft are used there.

[This message has been edited by Ozgrade3 (edited 12 March 2000).]

Rafiki
13th Mar 2000, 04:57
Ozgrade - last I heard the work permit situation was a little tricky - 1000TT would help though to satisfy insurance requirements. I suspect (though can't verify) that if you're there and you're needed, things can be arranged. As for aircraft types - lots of singles, light twins, King Airs, Caravan Is and IIs and the odd DC3 and eastern block exotica! As always with Africa - you just have to go ...

Bogtrotter
23rd Mar 2000, 00:03
Probably not a great time to head for Kenya. Loki has slowed down enormously though it looks as if things may be heating up in Ethiopia again. Work permits are a major headache but can be 'arranged'. Licence conversion will take 3-6 months. Minimum is 1000hrs with Caravan time a big advantage. Salaries are also not quite what they once were and Nairobi is expensive (although better than most of the rest of Africa)

capt waffoo
24th Mar 2000, 03:21
Bogtrotter, whats going down in Ethiopia?
I have a soft spot for the country and we get no info from the press here in Yurrup.

Interested to know of situation in Somalia/Somaliland too if you know.

Ta!

west2
28th Mar 2000, 16:45
Hey Bogtrotter, where are you now? Are you headed up North?
Whats going on in Ethiopia? Let us know the gen. Why has Loki slowed down?