PDA

View Full Version : A320 Hot Weather Ops Recommendations ..is there any ?

kuwait340
11th Jul 2007, 17:06
Hello...

working in the middle east...as you all already know how hot the weather can be at this time of the year.

can not find any recommendation for that kind of ops in the Fcoms.

is there any thing that i missed .

K.Whyjelly
11th Jul 2007, 21:33
Hot weather conditions may cause high temperatures to be detected around the bleed ducts in the wings, resulting in spurious 'AIR L (R) WING LEAK' warnings.
On the A330, my mob recommends that during transit stops the slats remain in CONFIG 1 after landing, when the OAT is greater than +30c.

On the A319,320,321 the above procedure results in significantly reduced clearances from the flaps and the flap fairings in particular. This may impede fuel bowsers from driving underneath or from out under the wing. There is also an increased risk of damage to the aircraft and/or personnel if flaps/slats remain extended during transit. We are advised to minimise the possibility of the aircraft being damaged by fully retracting the flaps/slats on the A320 family as normal after landing. If an 'AIR L(R) WING LEAK 'caution has occurred then after liaising with the ground crew the 'Y ELEC 'pump may be used to pressurise the hydraulics and the flaps selected to '1+F'

Its been a long day and this is all that immediately comes to mind but if I think of any more I'll be back.

p.s get the cabin crew to close all the window blinds on turnarounds to help keep the cabin temps down!! ;)

Bearcat
11th Jul 2007, 22:18
I have never got a warning with the OAT>30c. Most of the guys where I work dont bother exrending them for the fear of some one clattering into something extended....also some fuel bowser folk wont fuel with the bits hanging out.....deal with the warning if it happens.....lesser of two evils.

kuwait340
12th Jul 2007, 11:47
K.Whyjelly

thanks for your detailed input....that is exactly what is happening here in kuwait now days while on transite ....

what will you really do incase that 'AIR L (R) WING LEAK' warnings ...i have been with a captain who advised me to select the respective eng bleed valve off..that day was a right wing leak..so eng bleed #2 selected off...and while the apu bleed is on...the x-bleed valve selected open .

and then he told to be in this config till airborn...on the other hand,the ecam only in case of wing leak..will advise you to avoid icing conditions...and there is no actions to be done..

some captains try only selecting eng's bleed valves off to cool them down...but i don't really see this troubleshooting right because the engines are off and selecting the eng's bleed off is not going to help...is it ?

Bearcat

thanks for your info sharing.

0-8
12th Jul 2007, 16:21
Might be useful if you haven't seen it before:

Hot Weather Ops by Airbus
http://www.smartcockpit.com/pdf/flightops/meteorology/0006/

kuwait340
13th Jul 2007, 07:19
0-8

Thanks For Your Help

pakeha-boy
14th Jul 2007, 18:37
KY QUOTE....my mob recommends that during transit stops the slats remain in CONFIG 1 after landing, when the OAT is greater than +30c.

Yeah mate,good advice and usually company ops requirement...I,m based out of Phoenix AZ....the temps hit the low 40,s regularly....we use 38c as the # for config one..works well..stops a lot of ecam messages for sure

another one ....we use "windsheild bras" to stop the intense heat getting into the cockpit with everything running....keeps the temps much cooler....the fabric is of a kevlar nature and works very well.....5 mins before pushback we open cocpit windows and allow bra to fall to the ground...makes the cockpit so much nicer to be in..PB

ACMS
15th Jul 2007, 05:54
Cockpit Bra???????

Must be hard to get it on? ( as opposed to a real bra that can be hard to get
off ):ok:

How do you put it on? Does it cover the side windows as well? ( i suspect not )

Dixons Cider
15th Jul 2007, 07:20
Its not putting it on that you should worry about - its getting it off. the real aces can do it in a few seconds with one hand :}

ohh those were the days.....!!

But seriously PB, that sounds interesting - we use sun shades on the inside of the cockpit windows, they keep the heat out well but you end up with windshield o/heat ECAMs. Something on the outside sounds good. So if you just drop em on the ground b4 dep, you must have to have a few at each station then?

Kevlar you say?

Diabolo
15th Jul 2007, 08:03
Shut the APU and use AirCo and GPU..
Bye,

Che Guevara
15th Jul 2007, 12:05
You need to keep an eye on your fuel temperatures when it gets really hot outside and you are doing short sectors....we sometimes uplift additional fuel if we notice the temperatures approaching the limits etc. Of course the trouble here is that even the uplifted fuel can be hot straight out of the ground...have a look at the limitations and procedures on fuel temps.
We also delay turning on our fuel pumps until we are ready for start up...don't know how much heat is generated by them, however engineering seem to think its a good idea...
Enjoy the summer...at least it's not Ramadan:rolleyes:

Che

Dream Land
15th Jul 2007, 15:23
One item from the Smart cockpit file states while on ground, select Pack Flow to high, on the A320 does this setting change anything?

pakeha-boy
16th Jul 2007, 04:31
Dixons cider/.ACMS.....yeah mate ..at first thought they were a bloody joke but now believe they are ingenius indeed....they cover all windows ,sides as well and are very easy to place......once parking brake is set,and shutdown checklist is complete,the ground crew pass the bra up to the cockpit ,on poles to both sides of aircraft....both I and the F/O grab the respective sides(with the side windows open)set in place(there is also a hole for the ice probe)pull the straps to in inside of the cocpit and secure the window...basically jams the cord (very thin) to the inside....

Usaully takes less than a minute to put on....would like to post a picture,(havent figured out how to do that yet)very light,and very effective in keeping temps low and ecams away.....you jokers have only posted a couple of jokes ....we have many for them....but I kid you not,there is nothing worse(as you all know)getting into a stinking hot A/C that has been sitting on the ramp for hours as a cooker.....they may sound like a joke,but they are very effective ....PB

kuwait340
16th Jul 2007, 18:22
i my self take with me from the house old news paper...and put the papers on the windows during the day light .

pakeha-boy
16th Jul 2007, 18:27
not a good idea from what I have been told.....if temps get too hot ,ink resisdue supposedly tranfers to windsheild and becomes very hard to remove....MTX told me it took a year of sundays to get approval for the current material to be used on our windsheilds(outside)......then again, I ask are the newspapers placed on the inside or outside???:confused:

hard to read the paper as well:ugh:}

kuwait340
17th Jul 2007, 10:46
i place the papers inside the cockpit...but they are not touching the windowns ....there is a gap between the window and the paper..

so the ink residue is not going to touch the windows.

grooves
20th Jul 2007, 05:51
The Pack Flow Is Always On High When The A/c Is On Ground, Thus The Selection Of The Knob To High Will Not Really Make Any Difference.

Dream Land
20th Jul 2007, 06:24
grooves, thank you.

IFixPlanes
20th Jul 2007, 07:06
The Pack Flow Is Always On High When The A/c Is On Ground...
I must correct this statement a little bit:
The manual selection is irrelevant in single pack operation or with APU bleed supply. In these cases, HI is automatically selected.

Dream Land
20th Jul 2007, 08:07
Ah, all coming back to me now, thanks for clarification.

compressor stall
25th Jul 2007, 05:16
Not just a company requirement. From the FCOM word for word....

On ground, hot weather conditions may cause overheating to be detected around the bleed ducts in the wings resulting in "AIR L(R) WING LEAK" warnings. Such warnings may be avoided during transit by keping the slats in config 1 when the OAT is above 30C.

Bearcat
26th Jul 2007, 13:07
cp..... we know it's in the FCOM but feedback on the line from loads of different operators say leaving the flaps extended is more hassle than its worth (me included) . I'll deal with the bleed warning but I can't deal with a fueller refusing to fuel with flaps extended, then your into electrical switching retracting flaps and extending etc. I've flown into loads of places in the late 30s and never have had the warning like wise the FCOM says less than 115 pax on a 320 or 140 on a 321 pack flow to low/econ.....another ecam warning waiting to happen.....anytime I have used econ the pack compressor outlet temps have gone v high and have had spurious hot air ecam warnings. Like the flaps I leave the pack flow norm and attempt the crossword without interuption.