PDA

View Full Version : Chopper Pilots & Crew in Mozambiquie

NEVIL
29th Feb 2000, 16:12
How about these guys. I hope they get medals for the work they are putting in.

Some of the stuff I have seen these guys do on Television. Good work keep it up.

Just one point 5 Helos for the whole of Mozambiquie envolved in SAR. How many joy flighting around with Media on boared??

Silver Fox
1st Mar 2000, 18:22
I'll second that! An excellent job all round with limited crew and resources. As you say where is the rest of the World?

Well done Helo Drivers...............

------------------

'I' in the sky
2nd Mar 2000, 02:43
Anyone know anyone using N or G reg to fly aid that needs pilots ?

capt waffoo
2nd Mar 2000, 03:31
Is there a need for experienced bush pilots at all (FW or RW), or is the problem a shortage of airframes?

There must be lots of us willing and able to help, anyone know the answer?

Ill come.

SPACEMAN SPIFF
10th Mar 2000, 16:18
I'll second that capt waffoo.

Any one out there willing to employ an underworked Army pilot.

Well done those SAAF chaps.

The Guvnor
11th Mar 2000, 13:34
Unfortunately, they still have to contend with typical African corruption...

A PILOT ferrying humanitarian aid to Mozambique recounted yesterday how
he pretended to dump his cargo at sea to avoid paying "handling fees"
demanded by airport officials in Beira.

Amid complaints of long delays and
administrative confusion at
Mozambique's airports, aid officials have
expressed anger that they are being
charged landing and handling fees.
Aircraft used by the United Nations and
other international organisations are
exempt from the duties.

But planes and helicopters chartered by
private charities are expected to pay
between several hundred and a few thousand pounds - depending on the size of
the aircraft - for each delivery of emergency supplies.

Although Mozambique's airports have no radar and only rudimentary
navigational equipment, aid flights are sometimes charged "navigational fees".
One veteran pilot said that last Sunday several pilots refused to pay handling
fees at Beira. After a furious row with Mozambican officials, they took off,
saying they would dump the cargo at sea.

Instead they kept radio silence and landed secretly at the town of Save. When
they returned to Beira to refuel they said they had thrown the cargo away, and
had to pay only landing fees.

------------------
:) Happiness is a warm L1011 :)

SPACEMAN SPIFF
13th Mar 2000, 00:53
AWA - Africa Wins Again!

capt waffoo
13th Mar 2000, 03:19
It seems a terrible waste to me that there are pilots, groundcrews & engineers out there who would happily give their time at times like this, and governments around the world have hangars full of defunct military helos that would be ideal for disaster relief.

Yet nothing happens for a month or so while governments whinge about the costs, politcs and permissions etc to do what was needed so desperately weeks ago.

A multinational (God help us, perhaps UN funded) reserve of old Hueys (the US contribution) and even Gazelles/Wessi (UK)could be pre positioned out of storage in Arizona/Shawbury to somewhere south of the tropics and then onto freighters or, wait for this, ferried out!!!, to disaster areas as required. If enough volunteers were available to fly them
could we not have something like a UN emergency airwing all up and running and just awaiting the call to go! This would certainly include fixed wing too.

I realise that the UN is probably the last organisation that could make this work; my idea is to suggest a way of providing a quick reaction force with minimum-cost hardware and volunteer crews that could react a bit faster than the month it has taken to help Mozambique.

It annoys me hugely to see the news crowing over the arrival of a handfull of Pumas which are pretty uninspiring machines at the best of times, let alone in 40' of heat, or a mere five anti sub seakings dragging a ton and a half of sonar kit being touted as useful loadlifters/SAR.

Given the outrageous costs charged by the military for these sadly inadequate and often inappropriate machines its little less than a scandal that this wastage is not more widely known.

A well thought out reserve of volunteer run mil surplus machines just might do the job at a sensible price.

Go on, shoot me down!

Capt Blu
16th Mar 2000, 16:01
Flew into Maputo the other day. What with Air Forces from all over and corporate a/c it was a mess. ATC almost non existant. Not a pleasant experience.

Ex NAV
17th Mar 2000, 11:49
Well done to the SAAF - Makes me proud to be an ex SAAFer, albeit some time ago.

------------------
Man is not lost - just unsure of his position