PDA

View Full Version : 737 blown tyre in YSSY

chockchucker
11th Jul 2007, 09:28
Anybody got any genuine info on this incident? Blown tyre in itself is a wheel change but, I'd be interested to know if there was any damage to the flaps or fuselage if the tyre shredded itself to bits. Was it a nose wheel or main wheel?:}

Tyre on Qantas plane bursts in Sydney
Wednesday Jul 11 17:50 AEST

The tyre of a Qantas plane burst as it landed at Sydney Airport, the airline says.

The Boeing 737-800 aircraft flying from Adelaide with 136 passengers on board landed in Sydney about 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday.

Qantas said passenger safety was not compromised by the blow-out.
"The aircraft landed without incident and there was absolutely no safety issue at any time," Qantas engineering executive general manager David Cox said.

"Emergency services were on standby as a precaution.
"The aircraft will be inspected and the tyre replaced before the aircraft re-enters service."

HotDog
11th Jul 2007, 10:07
I think RW16L was in use at the time with a 12Kn crosswind.

The Original Jetpipe
11th Jul 2007, 10:17
Aircraft landed 07-25 runway. Taxied to stand. Runway closed for about 30mins.

TOJP

YRIC46
12th Jul 2007, 00:26
Yes Rwy 07-25 it was the right main gear. held on taxiway for 15 mins then taxied to gate . the noise was extremely loud when it blew..

Break Right
12th Jul 2007, 01:00
It was the left hand outer tyre that blew. Very impressive to see it happen and well handled by the crew!!!Well done on making Bravo in an -800 and not blocking 16R/25 intersection.:ok::D

Capt Claret
12th Jul 2007, 02:52
it was the right main gear

and

It was the left hand outer tyre

Any advance? Any one going for the nose tyre/s?

Or perhaps the tail wheel tyre! :}

blueloo
12th Jul 2007, 03:31
I heard it was the poo shredding tyre in the aft lav

THREEBLADEPROP
12th Jul 2007, 08:31
I was pushing back when it happend. Our pushback was delayed because of it. I can confirm it was RH main tyre and also Runway 25 was active for arrivals. He couldn't have made Bravo in an 800 and if he did maybe that was why the tyre blew :eek: He did stop on Bravo to have the tyre inspected though.

Break Right
12th Jul 2007, 09:58
Ok i must be wrong:ouch: Except I saw him touch down (lots of smoke) and was 1 of 2 aircraft told to stop taxiing by atc until fire services attended, and yes he vacated at B from rwy 25 and it was the left outer!!!:eek::zzz:

Anyone else.:uhoh::bored:

Either way job well done!:D

Air Ace
12th Jul 2007, 10:21
I got a flat tyre on my Toyota today. Tried to get a warranty claim, no luck. Tried The Australian newspaper, they weren't interested.

No one cares about my flat tyre!!! :{

Bumpfoh
13th Jul 2007, 06:13
Group safety meeting scheduled for today, awaiting the outcome.

Apparently the A/C was on the MEL for autobrakes inop at the time of the incident for what it's worth.

Also apparently the Capt was PF.:ok:

sydney s/h
13th Jul 2007, 06:33
Well Capt PF would have a bad joke or two to tell after that! He always tells the WORST jokes!! He loves a good story. Sounds like he did a good job...well done.

A37575
13th Jul 2007, 11:32
on the MEL for autobrakes inop

Oh My God! Do you mean thery were forced to apply manual braking? Isn't that a PAN is some airlines?

Bumpfoh
14th Jul 2007, 04:39
Anti-skid was inop, not autobrake as stated previosly.:ouch:

syd s/h:- PF is short for Pilot Flying i.e the one with his hands on the yoke not someones initials.:ok:

THREEBLADEPROP
14th Jul 2007, 08:27
My appologies, it was the LH main, had it in my head the wrong way around. I heard tender 1 (firies) state this over the radio. I too saw the aircraft stopped on Bravo facing towards the north. If he landed on 25 and got off on B with anti skid inop, I'm not suprised a tyre blew. The landind distance required for a landing with antiskid inop unfactored in an 800 typical weights is 1515 metres. I would struggle to get it off on B with the anti skid operative.

Capt Fathom
14th Jul 2007, 12:54
You people fly with the Anti-Skid inop!! Must be the only operator that does that in a jet!

Must be a gee-up!

woftam
14th Jul 2007, 16:17
Capt Fathom,
While certainly not desirable, Mr Boeing has MEL 32-2 for the B738 which states ,in part, relating to the Anti-skid system "Number Installed 1", "Number required for dispatch 0" (except for 30 metre wide runways). In other words it can be U/S !!!
It requires some pretty hefty performance limitations but I'm sure QF is not "the only operator that does that in a jet".
;)