PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a lowly dreamer.

Avaiden
11th Jul 2007, 00:36
I have decided that I want to focus my brain on becomming a commercial airline pilot. I have virtuallay no experience in flying so be gentle.
I have booked a place at the OAT(Oxford avaiation training) for an aptitude assessment in August and I would appreciate if someone could tell me how I could best prepare for this assessment, in such a way that I can give myself a good shot at standing out.
I hear there is a mathematics orientated section of the assessment. What should I brush up on. I did physics at A-level so I do have a bit of an understanding of some mathematical concepts.
Im really just looking for some advice that will help me improve my chances. I have my thoughts set on this future so any help is much appreciated.
Pardon me if I have posted in the wrong section, or I have irked anyone by asking questions that may be asked by many people regularly.
Thanks.

Astra driver
11th Jul 2007, 00:59
Avaiden,

I would say that your A level physics should give you an advantage over many other applicants. While I can't speak for the level of mathematics OAT may expect of you, I can tell that all that is required in the every day real world cockpit is nothing more than the ability to solve basic addition and multiplication problems in your head, albeit somewhat quickly.

Assuming you meet all the basic physical and health requirements the most important quality to have if you want a career in aviation is simply a strong desire to fly; if you really want to do it and are willing to make some sacrifices you will succeed.

Good luck, and by the way, if you don't succeed at OAT, try another school!