PDA

View Full Version : Lean of Peak, and Arguing Heli Pilots

YesTAM
10th Jul 2007, 22:31
When the fog finally cleared yesterday I made it back to YMMB from sunny Kerang, and on entering a very hazy circuit with hands full, I was treated to what sounded like an argument between a heli pilot who wanted to practice on the Eastern Grass (or suchlike) and the Tower.

Tower had to patiently explain to this idiot that the Heli circuit was already full as far as he was concerned and this nitwit then proceeded to argue further, clogging the frequency. I was fifty feet, and not relishing the prospect of a go around in the haze, when I finally got a word in and was cleared to land.

If you want to argue guys, can you do it over the phone? Preferably sitting on the ground?

On an unrelated subject, I spent a few very pleasant days at Arkaroola and talked to Doug some more about lean of peak operations. The latest goss appears to be that the FAA is considering making it mandatory since with proper instrumentation and injectors it is a safer operating technique for six cylinder engines at least.

VH-XXX
11th Jul 2007, 02:03
At $16.60 per minute or $1,000 an hour, I'd be whinging too if I'd just got airborne and told I couldn't do any circuits. It would cost $200 to turn around and go back again. They can get a bit touchy down there if there's more than one aircraft in the entire GAAP if it's special VFR conditions. Would be nice if they upgraded one day to radar.

On another note, watched a chopper take off and depart last week only to collect about 2 dozen seagulls that flew up from a mob on the ground. Chopper promptly killed most of them, turned around, flew back and landed to inspect the damage. Expensive little mishap I'd say and very unlucky.