PDA

View Full Version : Save the "DRUNKEN DUCK" Campaign

camelspyyder
10th Jul 2007, 21:28
Many of you may be familiar with a bar in the Sandpit called the DRUNKEN DUCK. It was so named after the emblem of 120 crew 3 who perished in such tragic circumstances last year.

Moves are now afoot to rename the bar.

regardless of whether you knew it as the CAMEL'S HUMP, the DOB INN, or the WELL 'N DHOW, I am sure you will all agree that it is an honour for the bar to be named after 14 heroes of the RAF and their country, and that it would be scandalous to change the name again.

Please post here expressing your support for the bar to continue under it's current identity.

Camelspyyder.

c130jbloke
10th Jul 2007, 22:01
Absolutely right - keep it the way it is and put something there to both honour their memory and explain how the name came about....

Question is, who is trying to change the name and why ?

tutgby
10th Jul 2007, 22:06
Damn right, things like that should not and MUST NOT change. Especially as its for the guys who lost their lives.
Why the hell would anyone want to change the name either, I don't see anything wrong with the ''Drunken Duck''...

Guess the Fun Police and their cronies are out in force again. :ugh::confused::confused:

unclenelli
11th Jul 2007, 00:16
I've never been to that particular corner of the sandpit, but as I was in Stan at the time, and was one of the first to see the incident MIRC'd and able to provide local Cdrs with ATO info (then had to sit and watch umpteen "mil experts" on Sky waffle their way through hours of torment for those back home), I'm all for keeping the "Drunken Duck" - Those guys died doing what they signed on the dotted line for years ago (albeit through an accident - subject to BOI outcome) just the same way as most of us currently employed have done. **** happens - live with it, or walk under a bus
The Airships should fall on their swords for even suggesting the change of name. The only time the name should change is at the request of the families - which I don't think is upcoming (although I stand to be corrected).
Anyone in the sandpit/ISK up for starting a whip-round for a plaque to be erected on the door - Let me know where to send the money (unless it's already been done)
If "Drunken Duck" causes such offense to the airships, maybe they should adopt the old roofsign of "120TS" for the Officers Mess in that particular corner of the sandpit!!
Anyone else remember the Bird & B*****d, FYY, Deafen Inn, Bruggen, Rag's Head, AAS, Hover Inn, KAF, Crab&Archer, BSN, Whisky Bar, Aviano? These names mean a lot to some people, and always will. Renaming them will mean a seperatised RAF - those who remember the old name, and those who have never heard of the old name, but have still been there,but now call it "Fluffies".
Imagine renaming anything named after Trenchard, Badar, Harris or even Stirrup because it offends the current users - All it would take is a german exchange officer to High Wycombe and every block there would get a name change - Hurricane No, Heinkel No, Bunny, OK!!!
Remind me, who won the war??????
Who is in charge now????

Pontius Navigator
11th Jul 2007, 06:46
Names evoke memories.

I still feel irritation when a Marquis of Granby changes its name.

Brass Nut in Kef anyone?

Keep the name.

Winco
11th Jul 2007, 07:01
camelspyyder
You and I have agreed on little so far, so let me change all that by offering you and your colleagues my 100% support in retaining the name 'DRUNKEN DUCK' in memory of all our friends.
Good luck
Winco

cornish-stormrider
11th Jul 2007, 07:54
Never been, now civvyized but am 100% behind you, the drunken duck should go down in history as a fine drinking establishment in honour of the fallen.

Ventre A Terre
11th Jul 2007, 08:49
As a regular user of The Drunken Duck over the last year (two dets to the said location since the bar's renaming), I am horrified to read of this proposal. I suspect the whole idea of renaming the Duck has been brought about by the "permanent" EAW staff who are probably doing their one OOA detachment for the foreseeable future and therefore need to achieve something to get the good 'tick in the box'! More likely, however, is the fact that they just haven't passed the information on in their haste to get home from their holiday. It is likely therefore that the "permanent staff" have forgotten/ need to be reminded of exactly why the Drunken Duck is so named. Do we not have a representative on the "Welfare Ctee" who can explain? Failing that I'm sure a quiet word from the NEC to the DOB Cdr (or what ever he is called this week!) may help.

Best of luck and Fly Safe!
VAT

Len Ganley
11th Jul 2007, 11:10
Camelspyder

Dobbers .:ugh:

Last time the name was changed it was done by a vote of all those in the bar during AGM.

Just make sure the vote is scheduled when maximum Nimdet attendance is possible:E

Yeller_Gait
11th Jul 2007, 11:25
PN,

I can remember going to the Brass Nut several times in the past, but for some reason can never remember leaving there.

A great bar where the crew could drink as much as they liked, usually accompanied by some adult entertainment on the tv, then replenish the bar the following morning after a visit to the class 6. The only way to spend a cold two day break in Kef.

Y_G

betty swallox
11th Jul 2007, 11:28
Yeah. Keep it as it is. Never been, but nonetheless...KEEP IT!

Spence Braithwaite
11th Jul 2007, 12:28
Spent far too much time in there with the boys, without doubt keep the name & keep the memories alive.

just another jocky
11th Jul 2007, 13:43
Never been, but keep it we must!

difar69
11th Jul 2007, 13:52
Spent many nights in there with many of the guys from CXX/3 over the last few yrs. Smacks of the DOB "permanent staff" doing their usual good ideas club rubbish, and the bloody aircrew are getting in the way again (keep it up guys)! Leave it as it is!!! No name change!

FATTER GATOR
11th Jul 2007, 14:35
Been there when it was Well n' Dhow, Dob Inn, Camels Hump (might even have been Camels Toe for a bit) and have seen it resplendent in the the green and yellow colours of 120 Sqn. The image of the duck sprawled flat, arm outstretched with a frothing cup of bronze delight and grinning at me caused a lump in my throat (soon quashed with ale). It is dedicated to the memory of our friends who never made it back for their post-flight beer:uhoh: . It stirs an Esprit de Corps, a passion, a pride, conversation of friends passed and a sense of belonging in our home from home.

Keep it.

If you do change it then I will gather my band of brothers and paint the Drunken Duck back on, with a bigger grin and a bigger cup of bronze delight. And :mad:k anyone that tries to stop me.

RIP 120 crew 3

To those there and here. Endurance my friends, hic et ubique.
Stay safe.

bong-bing
11th Jul 2007, 14:45
:ugh:

This must not be allowed to happen. :=

Eloquent arguement aside, its a :mad: idea and one wonders how it hasn't been stamped on already.

RIP Crew 3.

WPH
11th Jul 2007, 17:01
Strangely enough I was only reminiscing last night about my time out there and was asking a colleague about how the 'Well 'n' Dhow' was doing. He corrected me about the name (It's 3 years since I was OIC bar out there). I couldn't think of a more fitting tribute to the crew and I'd be amazed and disappointed if NimDet let another name change happen.

Stay safe out there boys and girls.

shandyman
11th Jul 2007, 18:19
One of the guys from CXX/3 spent an awful lot of time in that bar, making decking and painting everything that stood still for long enough, helping make it the 'interesting' place it is now. Many would consider it an insult to him and his colleagues if the name were to be changed, get a grip and leave what's best left alone. RIP Tapper et al.

monkeytamer
11th Jul 2007, 19:16
What a load of :mad:. It is more than just a bar, a lean too and some tables and chairs. It is a bar named in honour of some very good friends. The 'Dobbers' should feel ashamed to consider the idea of renaming it.
Please consult the welfare fund and spend some of the cash on a bigger and better sign and tell the Dobbers where to stick it.
MT

camelspyyder
11th Jul 2007, 19:55
Thankyou for your support.

However, to be fair I dont think the DOBBERS are to blame this time.

The impression I get from my sources is that this affront to 120 is coming from higher up the food chain.

If anyone is free to spread the truth here we'd all love to know.

CS

Charlie Luncher
11th Jul 2007, 22:16
This makes me madder than JJ, damn right it should stay as named. CS fill us in on who is leading this as I have a new toy and coming your way soon, I will start the music and see what it attracts to their location:E
Charlie sends:mad::mad::mad:

MightyHunter AGE
12th Jul 2007, 05:18
Words fail me, and thats a first.

Do they actually know the reason why the bar was renamed 'The Drunken Duck'?:ugh:

Maybe a bit of a reminder might be in order, watch the mess notice board for details..................

Shack37
12th Jul 2007, 08:16
For the reasons posted it's obvious the name should stay as Drunken Duck. If any multi *ed son of Mr. & Mrs Bator does manage to impose his wishes against popular demand may I suggest any new name is totally ignored and everyone continues to call it the DD.
Take care all.
s37:hmm:

helgar33
16th Jul 2007, 20:40
The re-naming of the bar in tribute to CXX/3 would get a resounding 'YES' followed by a 'Wooo' and and two thumbs up from my late husband and also his mates (I prefer to think of them not just as aircrew) on that ill-fated nimrod. I find myself, yet again, shaking my head at the 'give it and take it away' attitude :ugh:. I thought it was a fantastic tribute and don't think it is offensive. Please get everyone to post their support for the 'drunken duck' campaign and cheers to all who flew with them on many sorties. Shandyman- I think you may have been talking about my Mister DIY- who couldn't put a paint brush down for longer than two seconds! H33

Fg Off Max Stout
16th Jul 2007, 22:55
It's been a few years since I was last in Bazbados, but are we talking about the bar that I knew* as the Camel's Toe, built by the handsome skygods of 1310 Flt and JHF: The one with the T-55, the dead palm trees, and the hexagonal brick, wood, palm bar?

*and by 'knew', I mean mixed cement by hand when it was +52C in the shade.

Mad_Mark
17th Jul 2007, 10:45
Max, no we aren't. The Camels Toe was (is?) a very good bar in another sandpit location.

CS - you can add my vote of support to your campaign - spent many a hot, sticky night in the Drunken Duck (and it's several previous incarnations all the way back to 2001!).

As others have said before, maybe it's time to have a plaque made up and mounted somewhere in the bar in honour of CXX/3 and explaining why the bar is now so named.

MadMark!!! :mad:

The Swinging Monkey
17th Jul 2007, 12:16
Chaps,

Is there no one brewery or distillery (sp?) up there that would be prepared to cough up and have a 'proper' sign made for the place? What about the messes helping out with some cash?

Likewise, can you not get workshops to knock up something about the crew to fix to a wall or something, educating everyone how the name originated? Then maybe get some airship (or even, God forbid, a politician) to 'open the bar' on a visit?

I'm sure there are plenty of places that would give generously to help out if they were told of the reasons.

Best of luck
TSM

daftodil
24th Jul 2007, 15:16
Hi Guys,

Having painted the sign I took great interest in this issue and started to ask the 120 Sqn hierarchy what this was all about! It transpires that a senior officer visiting the EAW (DOB) at Seeb noticed the sign and asked the politically correct question 'is that sign appropriate for a Muslim Country?'. At which point it was carefully explained to him the reasons for the sign and all the background, he then dropped the query altogether. So apart from this being a non-starter the only question that remains is why was this question asked in the first place? :ok:

Cheers :E

Shack37
24th Jul 2007, 15:33
Daftodil
Perhaps in the hope of getting a reply like yours. If you don't ask..............
Drunken Duck not going to be renamed then?:ok::ok::ok:
s37

Tappers Dad
24th Jul 2007, 15:36
Ben helped build one of the bars whilst on tour in the Gulf.
I think he would approve of the DRUNKEN DUCK :ok:

Especially if it wasn't PC

Gainesy
24th Jul 2007, 15:37
...and for us old farts, what is a DOB/DOBBER?

BEagle
24th Jul 2007, 15:38
If that was all the wanquerre could find to ask, he clearly had a supreme grasp of the non-essential.....

Lions and Donkeys. As they say, "Discuss"....:hmm:

Len Ganley
24th Jul 2007, 18:08
...and for us old farts, what is a DOB/DOBBER?

DOBBER(n) Dobb-er - Inhabitant of a certain Deployed Operating Base for a period of 4-6 months. Upon arriving at their habitat and assuming any position of authority/influence they proceed to become antagonistic towards migratory species of aircrew and lineys. This can take take various forms, the most common being witholding of resources (an example of this is giving a 13-man crew a knackered 12 seat minibus whilst the Dobbers operate lovely shiny 4x4s). Easily identifiable when off-duty, the DOBBER can be spotted in a number of luxurious locations (generally around swimming pools). When on-duty however, DOBBERs assume a chameleon-like ability to blend in with their surroundings and are unable to be located - especially the sub-species DOBBER CASHIERUS. :E

(Only joking, I love them really - honest)

west lakes
24th Jul 2007, 18:23
Just seen this though not one of you

Is there no one brewery or distillery (sp?) up there that would be prepared to cough up and have a 'proper' sign made for the place?

There is a Drunken Duck hotel in the Lake District near Hawkshead is it worth you contacting them?

http://www.drunkenduckinn.co.uk/

actual location (if flying in area) Grid coords 335069,501278
Grid ref NY 35069,01278

monkeytamer
24th Jul 2007, 22:35
It transpires that a senior officer visiting the EAW (DOB) at Seeb noticed the sign and asked the politically correct question 'is that sign appropriate for a Muslim Country?'

It's a bar in a Muslim country. Surely that in itself is un-PC... Not the sign...
Long may there be a 'drunken duck' bar in Seeb.

Gainesy
25th Jul 2007, 07:11
Many thanks for the definition Len:ok:, obviously a descendent of what we used to call an Empire Builder, (amongst other terms that I keep trying but come out as strings of asterixes).:)

KeepItTidy
22nd Aug 2008, 20:55
I can say we still have a Drunken Duck to this day after all this chat. I was sure last year a certain other squadrom tried to place a Goose in the same location as Duck but it would seem Goose has gone :ok:

The nice dobber staff now have drunken duck t shirts that look pretty cool now :)

peppermint_jam
26th Aug 2008, 08:22
Glad to hear that the PC Brigade failed in their quest. Visited this bar in one of it's previous incarnations a few years back, can't think of a more fitting tribute to the fallen.

Lest we forget.

p_j

camelspyyder
27th Aug 2008, 19:52
Although I can't be there next Tuesday I hope that all at the Duck will raise a glass and a cheer for the 14 heroes who supped their last tinnies there exactly 2 years ago.

CS

RIP CXX/3

Lima Juliet
27th Aug 2008, 19:59
If this goes ahead I suggest you rename all of the Dobbers' offices "The Condom" - they are long and thin with cocks in them!!!

:ok:

Green Flash
28th Aug 2008, 01:08
It is the Drunken Duck and it stays the Drunken Duck. Anyone remeber the Feral Dog? And I wonder if the Nordic bar is still going strong or do NATO have fun police too? Gunnar and his crew did a great job on the extension.

helgar33
1st Sep 2008, 10:28
Please don't let anyone rename it! It was named for crew 3 and should stay that way. If you are in the Drunken Duck tomorrow (2nd Sept) please take a moment to remember the guys. Crew 3 loved and missed always.
helgar33

cornish-stormrider
2nd Sep 2008, 13:14
Moment ( a good couple of minutes) taken at 1100 hrs and a metaphorical toast raised to the fallen. More good men and women making sacrifices. To all who remain, stay safe. If you're over there have one for me in said establishment.

I shall be raising a large whisky tonight and the painkillers be dammed. I wish you all Godspeed, wherever and whenever.