PDA

View Full Version : JAA PPL to fATPL

Avia
10th Jul 2007, 19:36
Hello everyone,

I'm very new to this forum, but I have this for a start...

I'm seriously considering obtaining a JAA PPL license in the US just to get the feeling if flying is really the career path for me (it has always been a childhood dream for me). US is by far much more cheaper than in my home country, Denmark.

Question goes:

Is it possible to take a JAA PPL first and afterwards move on to the integrated course for a fATPL or do I need to take the licenses separately?

Curtis E Carr
10th Jul 2007, 20:11
From Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.160

An applicant may be admitted to training either as an ab-initio entrant, or as a holder of a PPL(A) or PPL(H) issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1. An ab-initio entrant shall meet the student pilot requirements of JAR–FCL Subpart B. In the case of a PPL(A) or PPL(H) entrant, 50% of the aircraft hours flown by the entrant prior to the course may be credited towards the required flight instruction (JAR-FCL 1.165(a)(1) and Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.165(a)(1), paragraph 13) up to a credit of 40 hours flying
experience or 45 hours if an aeroplane night flying qualification has been obtained, of which up to 20 hours may be dual instruction. This credit for the hours flown shall be at the discretion of the FTO and entered into the applicant’s training record. In the case of a student pilot who does not hold a pilot licence and with the approval of the Authority a FTO may designate certain dual exercises (see AMC FCL 1.160 & 1.165(a)(1), phase 2 & 3) to be flown in a helicopter or a TMG up to a maximum of 20 hours
(my bold type)

In other words, it appears you may even get some credit for your PPL(A) hours when embarked upon an integrated course of training for the issue of a fATPL.

Philpaz
10th Jul 2007, 20:13
You can do your PPL and then join an integrated course but they dont discount anything. If your set on integrated then it probably would be best just to take some lessons and do some research to save money. You'll need it for integrated.

Phil