PDA

View Full Version : erasing norton and its files

nitro rig driver
10th Jul 2007, 10:21
Ok been using norton for last few years but have decided to swop
to AVG as had many people say its better than norton.
How can i be sure i have removed all the files that it makes all over the place..(apart from the usual uninstall/
or does this function do it completly.

Background Noise
10th Jul 2007, 11:04
Download and run the norton removal tool from HERE (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039) (or google norton removal tool)

Tarq57
11th Jul 2007, 01:34
Background noise is correct. It's very important to run this tool after Norton is removed by first turning it off (disable) then using add/remove programs, as what's left over can interfere with aspects of other security programs, including Windows own security centre.
Make sure you're disconnected from the net during this uninstall, download AVG to a folder location first before uninstalling Norton. Run the uninstall, then the removal tool, reboot as prompted (and if not, reboot anyway) then install AVG, then reconnect and update it.

bladewashout
11th Jul 2007, 20:02
Used the norton removal tool a few days ago removing norton, it works well.

Norton is just too heavy on resources nowadays.

Installed Kasperski, which you can get a 5 licence pack for about £50 off the web. Interestingly, the only problem I had was trying to install it over a remote desktop connection (XP) - it fails every time with file permission problems. Works a treat if you do it at the main monitor as the same user....

BW

nitro rig driver
12th Jul 2007, 06:15
thanks guys for the info

I take it as no one has torn AVG to bits that its one of the better ones.

Believe somewhere that AVG security package doesn't auto-update
is this true-seems a bit strange if it is in this day and age

cheers again

oldbeefer
12th Jul 2007, 08:07
Tend to use Avast! rather than AVG as it does auto-update (and it's another free programme).

Devlin Carnet
12th Jul 2007, 08:09
Mmm.. well my AVG Auto updates, it checks for updates everytime I turn the PC on.

oldbeefer
12th Jul 2007, 08:36
Ah. But mine's on all the time and avast! will check daily for updates. Think the two progs are similar as far as keeping the nasties out is concerned, though.

gizmocat
12th Jul 2007, 10:05
AVG does autoupdate, very well as a mater of fact, and you can schedule a time that suits.

Tarq57
12th Jul 2007, 10:29
Avast, AVG and Avira (and to a lesser extent, AOL) are the main popular free resident AV's. Those first three are all good. (Some folk say the AOL AV is too, but I'm not one of 'em.)
Some users have had problems with the auto update on AVG, mainly that update has frequently failed because the server is too busy, or not ready, or similar. But I believe in the end it always eventually updates.
If one examines the results at www.av-comparatives.org/ over a period of time, they always all score quite well, and sometimes swap places in the detection rate, with Avira usually being slightly ahead of the other two. For free applications, they are generally up there close to the best of the paid ones, and for the average user, that is more than adequate, IMO.
I'm a happy Avast user; it has given me zero problems and helped protect me well, so I don't feel the need to change. I'm sure there are thousands of people would say the same of AVG and Avira.

Tarq57
13th Jul 2007, 09:23
Minor add to last:
Those results at av comparatives (respected testing site) reflect the performance of the "paid for" or "pro" versions of AV's.
So in that respect, Avast probably scores better, because the detection/cleaning rate of the free version is identical to the paid version.
With AVG and Avira, the rates between free/paid differ. Don't know how much, because I haven't found a reliable site that comprehensively tests freeware.