PDA

View Full Version : Pension Calculation Dudes Flat Out - Why

L J R
10th Jul 2007, 06:12
A recent JPA announcement asks you guys not to ask for pension calculations from AFPAA, but to use the Pension Calculator as there is a surge in requests for pension calculations at the moment.

Could that surge in Pension inquiries be one of a few things...
Either a lot of people are considering getting out, and want FACTS from the horses mouth, OR is the Pension Calculator inaccurate. I know for a fact that the calculator - no matter how 'accurate', cannot predict everything from the individuals circumstances, and the AFPAA - whilst putting a caveat that they ALSO do not know individual circumstances, can at least expand their answer after a few letters asking them to re-explain or re-calculate based on facts.

Regardless, it is appalling that a support agency such as the AFPAA is unable to cope with the workload. Who predicted their manpower requirements and WHO is SUPPORTING WHO HERE!!! Will the AFPAA get more people to cope - I presume they will of course, if you believe the ministers supporting the MoD - OH silly me..

Blacksheep
10th Jul 2007, 06:45
Deferred Pensions came into existence around 1974, loads of them are now coming due and every single one is different. Mine is due to start on 05 August and when I was demobbed in 1977 I was advised to contact the pensions people three months ahead. Two months ago I contacted the AFPAA and haven't had any reply. Maybe they've done a runner with our money? :uhoh:

BANANASBANANAS
10th Jul 2007, 07:05
I left in 1992 and have a deferred pension due in a few years. Is there any way I can access the Pensions Calculator to see how much (or little) I can expect?:ok:

RIDIM
10th Jul 2007, 07:50
Link to the Pensions Calculator is in the box on the right.
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/Personnel/Pensions/ArmedForcesPensions/PensionsCalc/

diginagain
10th Jul 2007, 08:48
If you're no longer in, like BANANASBANANAS and I, the calculator is of no use to you.

I resort to snail-mailing a desk in Glasgow, once a year, just to remind them I'm still around.

Blacksheep
11th Jul 2007, 01:42
Have you ever had a reply?

The old RAFPMC in Gloucester used to handle it before the AFPAA came into being and they were always on the ball but the AFPAA in Glasgow seem to be located at the centre of a large black hole. Even their telephone number doesn't work - I get timed out before anyone answers.

Plus of course I'm on IDD from the jungles of Borneo at two quid a minute if I ever do get through. :ugh:

diginagain
11th Jul 2007, 04:27
Blacksheep - funnily enough, I've always had a reply to my letters. I concede your point about it being a bit of an admin vortex, but it helps if you know someone on the inside.