View Full Version : Seajet XZ439 (N94422)

Double Zero
25th Jan 2007, 07:14
The team with the only flying civilian ex-RN Sea Harrier is seeking ground servicing equipment, everything from Houchin's to hydraulic hoses - any help would be much appreciated, and worthwhile to all Seajet fans !

Please PM me if necessary, Thanks.

DZ

falcon12
25th Jan 2007, 13:20
No doubt we can come up with all the general ex MoD GSE you need. One careful lady owner, low useage, generally painted green.

Please email me your definitive list to [email protected] ([email protected])

John Farley
25th Jan 2007, 21:23
MiG15
Why?

Double Zero
26th Jan 2007, 15:50
First of all, thankyou Falcon 12 I have passed your details on.

It is a crying shame that the Navy couldn't manage a single display Seajet, wouldn't one think ?!

Mr.Farley, you probably already know who I am, I used to work for you; maybe this is an extension of 'U.K. Ltd' - a motto I try to stick to in my present work.

At least someone's doing something positive, do you think ?

Andy

John Farley
26th Jan 2007, 16:05
Andy and MiG15

Good to hear from you Andy. Those were the days. The SHAR is virtually ready to test fly and its paperwork is all sorted. The owner told me that when the FAA guy was leaving he walked to its nose and crossed himself.

Nice story anyway...

JF

Double Zero
26th Jan 2007, 17:58
Mig 15,

try www.harrier.org.uk (http://www.harrier.org.uk)

Do please be understanding, even if abroad at least the lowest-houred Seajet is in good hands - Test Pilot etc - and a good climate !

If suffering insomnia my bit is 'harrier testing' on the History section, though of course you'll find a lot more sense reading J.F.'s article...

Andy

WE Branch Fanatic
28th Jan 2007, 10:31
Three thoughts

1. See the Sea Jet thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=98152) on the Military Aircrew forum.
2. Are there any plans for a Sea Harrier to take part in the Falklands 25 events this year? If not, why not?
3. Perhaps this gentleman should be made an honoury member of the RNR Air Branch?

Double Zero
28th Jan 2007, 13:51
Are you recommending Mr.Nalls & his aircraft for 'ceremonial' purposes,

or in case the RN needs air cover ?!

Either way he deserves applause & support.

Nige321
29th Jan 2007, 12:08
It's XZ439...
And will Mr Farley be booking a trip across the pond with his helmet and gloves I wonder?:ok:
Nige

Chairborne 09.00hrs
30th Jan 2007, 10:53
Here's '439 seen at RNAS Yeovilton in 1980:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q217/John_txic666/XZ439VL.jpg

What does she look like today?

Art Nalls
31st Jan 2007, 18:07
MiG15,
I'm new to the chat room, and it's taken me a few minutes to figure out how to answer some of your questions.

I am the proud owner of the SHAR XZ-439 in the US, registered under N94422. It does have a FAA airworthiness certificate and I'm waiting official license to fly it under a Letter of Authorization (LOA). I've been told that will be approved and it's in work.

We are very near readiness to fly. Only a few minor discrepencies remain to be fixed. We're installing a radio and transponder, as we speak, and will refit a hot Stencil ejection seat when the radio is complete, prior to first flight. The engine has been ground run 3 times and I've taxied twice. I would have gladly taken it around the patch on the last taxi test, but now is not the time to get cute - - -everyone is watching. I've also had the good fortune to be granted two simulator sessions, trying to make the AV-8B sim fly like the SHAR. Believe me, they made me work, but I was happy with my performance. I was rusty, but not to the point that a few trips around the pattern couldn't fix.

The plane is in near-perfect condition (per the US Marines who have volunteered time on this) and we've gone over the entire airplane from top to bottom. It's complete for flying and in great shape. I've even located and we're installing an original AV-8A airspeed indicator (what I grew up with), instead of the small standby gages. We're taking our time because we certainly don't want to make a mistake.

I'm an experienced Marine Corps aviator having flown the AV-8A, AV-8B, A4-M and as a test pilot in the AV-8B and TAV-8B. Lots of shipboard time, as well. This airplane is as familiar to me as an old pair of shoes. I fly regularly in the airshow circuit in a Czech L-39 Albatros, but have demonstrated in a WWII Russian YAK-3 fighter, and am looking forward to demonstating this beautiful piece of history on the circuit.

We've got no shortage of experienced and qualified pilots willing to fly and a cadre of experienced maintenance people who know this airplane inside out. We'll need some spares, from time to time, but at this point don't see anything that will prohibit this airplane from flying.

I hope this answers most of your questions. If you have any more, please feel free to e:mail me directly. I'll be checking the chat rooms periodically and we're near to publishing a website. As soon as that happens, I'll let you know.

sincerely,
Art Nalls
[email protected]

flightmaker
8th Feb 2007, 23:19
Hello, guys glad to hear the positive support about XZ439.
Chairborne - she is all gray and shiney (now that I hand wiped her she was covered with about a 1/4" hangar dust).

Need to ask if you guys can get the mechanics to check their toolboxes and "twenty-year-bins". Looking for the tube that adapts to the liquid spring service port; I can't find a part number or a thread size. also, need the adapter for servicing the nitrogen accumulators (p/n 772B35798, 1/4"BSP thread, as best I can tell from the manuals). I am sure somebody has these taking up space in a drawer somewhere. I still have F-4 and A-7 bits in a box in the back of my shed.

:ok:

jimgriff
9th Feb 2007, 18:11
I remember that the SHAR was fitted with a Martin Baker ejection seat but tne USMC AV8A was fitted with a seat of US mfr. What will you use and are you using a live seat?

Art Nalls
10th Feb 2007, 22:39
We have a de-milled MB seat and MB does not want to be involved. Apparently the lawyers got involved. I spoke directly to them and said their liability was financial, mine was my butt.

We do have a HOT Stencil SIII seat, which is exactly what the Marines used. According to John Farley, the Stencil has a nasty habit of extreme neck loads in the flight regime of 180-225 knots, and that area should be avoided for ejection. I don't ever recall being briefed on that area and know a couple of buddies who died while ejecting in exactly that part of the flight envelope. That tid-bit of knowledge would have been helpful.

Anyway, we would of course like a brand-new, full-up ejection seat, instead of government surplus, but I'll take the chance. I'm not doing carrier ops, low-level nav, air-to-air, or being shot at.

toppy
12th Feb 2007, 07:07
Hi Guys.
This adaptor you are trying to find is part of a Kit of items.
The equipment is known as a:-
Turner Adaptor Kit, Part No 772 Series consist of:-
Regulators 2 off.
Pressure gauges 2 off.
Hose assembly.(A/C Type).
Adaptors as required.(A/C Type).
The Regulators<I believe come with 3/8 BSP inlet threads to attach to Ground Bottle Trolley Hose.
The kit is conained in a metal box and is issued from stores for operator use,so the chances of finding the odd adapter is slim.
You may be able to find a kit but you need to confirm the adaptor is provided in the kit,this kit is been in use for a least 35+ years.
Toppy

flightmaker
15th Feb 2007, 23:17
thanks toppy we'll look into those.

Chairbourne, really like the colors of XZ439 in the picture. can't imagine being a junior RN sailor working with a white harrier belly, "wax on...wax off".

kstater94
18th Feb 2007, 22:18
Congrats on getting this far Mr. Nalls!

I was just curious if you had any air shows that you planned on displaying the SHAR at this year.

Also, what markings do you intend to display her in?

I truly look forward to seeing a SHAR in the air again!

Cheers!

John

Art Nalls
20th Feb 2007, 18:10
We have several airshows that have expressed desire to have the SHAR displayed and haven't balked at the price. Until a sponsor picks up the tab, I have to cover expenses myself. We firmly believe that once it flies, we'll have demand exceed supply and hopefully a sponsor will want his name on it. It won't be a problem to display the SHAR.

As for paint scheme, that is TBD. It's a British Fighter (the last, all British Fighter) ending a line that started with the Sopwith's of WWI. It will either be in some form of UK livery or whatever the sponsor wants - if it's reasonable. It is inappropriate to paint it in USMC colors, so it won't. I'd like to see some UK-Heritgage flight in formation with a Sopwith, Spitfire and SHAR. How does that sound?

I personally prefer the Admiral's Barge livery (dark blue with white underside) used just prior to the official retirement in the UK. However, the photographers hate dark blue or black. At a distance, they photograph as a dark blob. We'll see.

As a FYI, we've solved the thread problem for the nose gear liquid spring servicing adapter. Thanks to many who have helped research the actual thread type and to locate suitable dies. We now can get on with the game.

kstater94
22nd Feb 2007, 19:32
Thanks for the info Mr. Nalls

I agree, the SHAR should be displayed in markings which are similar to what she wore while in service. I have always hated the Red Bull Sea Vixen markings as I am a purist and think aircraft should be displayed in markings that the type actually wore.

I also like the Admiral's Barge scheme. However, this scheme wasn't standard for operational SHARs and as such I would recomend sticking with the scheme that 800 and 801 employed. I have always been partial to 801's markings with the white and black checkers on the rudder so if you are interested in feedback on that please feel free to add mine to the 801 column! :ok:

Please keep us up to date on the scheduling of the SHAR for air shows as I would like to have the opportunity to photograph the jet at as many airshows as I can!

Cheers!

John

fradu
23rd Feb 2007, 09:51
What about the 800 NAS anniversary 'cab'?
http://www.stringbag.flyer.co.uk/pix/800nas.jpg

801NAS cabs...
http://www.cjac.flyer.co.uk/2006r/centaur05.jpg

http://www.cjac.flyer.co.uk/2006r/centaur06.jpg

flightmaker
24th Feb 2007, 12:57
Fradu - is the 800 cad a "real" picture or generated? it looks great either way.

XZ439 looks like the 801 birds except the gray is lighter, the radome is the same gray as the fuselage, in place of the winged trident on the fin and under the canopy on the fuselage are two foot black and white test squares and the rudder is dark gray (in honor of her sister that crashed).

fradu
24th Feb 2007, 19:39
The 800NAS SHar is genuine!
See here for another image... http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0544990/M/

NoHoverstop
25th Feb 2007, 22:48
"I'd like to see some UK-Heritage flight in formation with a Sopwith, Spitfire and SHAR. How does that sound?"

Like you couldn't find a Hurricane? :) Pup, Hurricane, Sea Harrier would pretty much demonstrate the beginning, middle and end of practical war-fighting British fighters, and all more or less the work of a single British aeroplane concern (because Sopwith restarted business after WW1 using his mate's (Harry Hawker) name for the reborn company). Proper aeroplanes built by proper people. I'm sure you'll take care of your example.

I wish you the very best of fortune with this venture. A bit over 13 years ago thee, me and my then project-pilot went to look at another navy V/STOL jet in Moscow. I've still got a nice picture of you and my PP up to no good in Gorky Park. Happy days. Oh and XW175 is still very much in business helping the next generation so please don't nick all the Harrier I kit from over here!

diginagain
26th Feb 2007, 01:17
Pup, Hurricane, Sea Harrier would pretty much demonstrate the beginning, middle and end of practical war-fighting British fighters, and all more or less the work of a single British aeroplane concern (because Sopwith restarted business after WW1 using his mate's (Harry Hawker) name for the reborn company). Proper aeroplanes built by proper people. I'm sure you'll take care of your example.

Done, back in January 1988, on the occasion of Tom Sopwith's 100th birthday. The Pup took off from Middle Wallop, into a fairly grotty sky, but from all accounts Mr Sopwith was delighted with the flypast.

Art Nalls
26th Feb 2007, 15:56
Thanks for the rudder steer. I mentioned a Camel and Spitfire, but was ignorant of the linkage to the Pup and Hurricane. I know where is the ONE remaining example of an original Camel, but it's too delicate to fly. I also know where there are a couple of Pups and can borrow a Hurricane.

We had success over the weekend of servicing the liquid spring. The difficulty was determining, exactly, what thread the adapter is. Thanks to some dedicated and extremely knowledgable people, we were able to determine that and order a die. Once we had that, we could make a couple of adapters to get the right seal. It has to seal to 2000 psi and allow NO air to enter the spring.

Seems like we managed to get it done properly.

Also, a web site is very near. Stay tuned.

Art Nalls
28th Feb 2007, 20:48
I just re-read the last message and caught the part that you were part of the trip to Moscow. What a small world!!

The "third party", a very distinguished gentleman and Harrier pilot, is alive and kicking and I saw him on my last trip to the UK. Funny how most Harrier pilots are short, left-handed, and extremely good looking. Almost no hint of an ego, either.

As I recall, we enjoyed quite a bit of "boda" in the "pectopah's."

Keep in touch.
Art

RileyDove
3rd Mar 2007, 19:32
What ground equipment are you still seeking?

Double Zero
4th Mar 2007, 16:42
RileyDove,

I'll PM you-

DZ

Vick Van Guard
5th Mar 2007, 11:32
DZ
You can still buy the inflation adapters / turner adapters. They are manufactured by a Company called Earby Light Engineers, easily found using Google.:ok:

flightmaker
5th Mar 2007, 23:21
Riley, VVG and DZ

with this much support you'd think we could hand launch this bird. Thanks for the info. If our hangar wasn't so damn cold and we didn't have full-time real jobs we would be farther along but then "slow and steady wins the race" and since we (ART) only has this one to fly we will take our time make sure it's right and release her for flight. It's still a challenge to say the least. I read and re-read the manuals almost everyday to make sure we don't miss a step. But what keeps me pushing forward is the fact that many here say you can't fly a Seajet as a civilian.

ART will !!!!:ok:

The computer guy is finalizing the website, the race is on we get her in the air before he gets the site up. Hope you bet on us.

NutLoose
6th Mar 2007, 00:45
Adams aviation and Airparts supply at wycombe in the UK sell parts of the turner adaptor kits.

Or failing that give LAS a bell

http://www.lasaero.com/las/30?part=772BMK6A

flightmaker
18th Mar 2007, 23:36
Guys, we have the hydraulics worked out, now on to the electricals.

Anyone have a source for hardware, especially the "special" screws etc. particular to SHAR.

Right now we are looking for F308989, nsn 5305-99-604-7989 need 13 ea.

Thanks

flightmaker
9th Jul 2007, 23:53
To all,

Keep an eye on the website nallsaviation.com

We have been two weeks away from flying for six months, wink wink.
we should be closer by this weekend. 7/14.

Does anyone know if the Hawker-Siddeley build number 912002 has a meaning other than the next in line at the factory?

Also, Our photog guy would like to contact Ian "Soapy" Watson. Please have him contact via the above website.

Thanks for all the positive "Vibes"

Double Zero
10th Jul 2007, 23:22
Further to flightmaker's request, the photo-journalist working with the team is researching the fine bit of flying that is the 'Alraigo Incident '.

This is so as to present all possible material on the type's history, both for Airshow display presentation and a documentary.

The Smithsonian is also involved & is keen on an accurate account of the story.

I know journo's are not popular here, but this one is on our side ! He's working closely with the SHAR team & has Test Pilot guidance, plus the sense to use it...

Would RIBBIT, Soapy's leader that day, and /or Mr Watson himself be so good as to PM me please so that I may put them in touch.

Thanks, DZ

flightmaker
15th Oct 2007, 00:39
HELP!
This is either going to be a very difficult operation or so dang simple I am not seeing it.

How in the world does one replace the bungee (elastic cord) to the canopy. Hawker-Siddley's engineer on that had a sense of humor for sure. The books basically say to change them.
Anyone with knowledge on this please let me know, or if you know anyone with arms three feet long and two inches in diameter and can reach up the channel between the Cockpit pressure vessel and the outer fuselage skin have them call me.

flightmaker
11th Nov 2007, 04:38
To all,
at 13:57 local 11/10/07 Sea Harrier XZ439 FAA # N94422 return to where she belongs, in the sky. Art flew her for approx. .5 hr and returned with one down gripe and three UP gripes. The down gripe was fixed within the hour and the Up gripes will be addressed ASAP. We expect to fly again on sunday 11/11/07.
Those that wished us well thank you for the support.

Happy Birthday! to the USMC.
Please see http://nallsaviation.com/ for updates.

HaveQuick2
11th Nov 2007, 09:02
Congratulations, and good luck going forward.

fradu
11th Nov 2007, 09:06
Great news!
I used to live close to RNAS Yeovilton and saw SHARs more-or-less every day!
The base is not the same now without them.

All the best with the future and well done to all involved!

ARINC
11th Nov 2007, 17:42
The slide shows make interesting viewing, particularly interested to see the rather basic accell checks they did..... Used to take us a day on the ERP post engine change. :uhoh:

John Farley
11th Nov 2007, 21:15
ARINC
Not sure I understand your comments re the engine running pen and what you called "the rather basic accell checks they did". Any work carried out in a pen was merely to reduce the time likely to be spent doing repeated runway or no-go VTO checks of accel times and max RPMs. Only when those were correct could you even start to consider airborne checks of JPT limiter operation in the various wet/dry and lift versus combat settings. When that was all fine you could turn your attention to high altitude PRL results and high alpha surge checks. Pen checks could not clear an engine as servicable for flight only the pilot could do that. Mind you some people used to enjoy running the engine in the pen - but that is not the same thing as ensuring it was set up so that it would necessarily be inside limits in flight. I do admit that a good engine mech was a tremendous help in reducing airtest time but there were only one or two Frank Ashley's of this world with the knowledge (and intestinal fortitude) to set the engine up in the pen outside the book numbers - so that in the different conditions of flight (varying from recirculation, amount of bleed pulled, airspeed and altitude) it dropped right on the book numbers.

Mind you I am talking about the hydro-mechanical system of engine control used in all versions of SHAR not the digital engine control units used in later land versions.
JF

ARINC
12th Nov 2007, 09:00
John I certainly don't have quite your knowledge on this...But...from memory and it was over 20 years ago now, ...We did dozens of different timed accel checks, JPT limiter-trip switches (a pain to wirelock) on and off, slam checks, min bleed, max bleed.. etc etc... ad nauseam... Test set connected sooties happily ensconced in sound proof room. We would run until bingos, 250 a side ? just to check that as well ! Then refuel and carry on, certainly a whole shift.

At one point I was required to stand in the undercarriage bay during Max slam check nozzles down ! Whilst checking some or other voltage drop... We used to run on a purpose built ERP gridded with an efflux pit underneath. If the run had to be repeated for some reason, my shoes would gradually melt and attach themselves to the gridding...:eek:

This was post Major servicing on GR's and SHAR's in most cases. Although later on in the field with the GR's we often simply did a tie down for post engine change. Vivid memories of one young sootie on his first engine run get a little to aggressive with the throttle and skid an untied aircraft about 30yds down the tin strip we were running on against the brakes...He looked quite chastened when he stepped out. :\

India Four Two
13th Nov 2007, 00:08
Second flight on Sunday. Hydraulic problem led to an emergency landing on the VSTOL grating at Pax River. Nose gear and starboard outrigger folded.

Pictures on the Home page at http://www.nallsaviation.com/index.htm

ARINC
13th Nov 2007, 08:50
Sorry to hear about the problems, although even lying on her side she looks fantastic...! Pity you didn't have the nitrogen blow down available for the gear...:{

Stratofreighter
14th Nov 2007, 15:53
A video showing the emergency landing can be found at
http://www.nallsaviation.com/landingvideo.htm .

Op_Twenty
14th Nov 2007, 17:29
Great to see such effort put in to get this airplane flying again, really good to see, well done, small set back - no worries, excellent effort, I love it!

flightmaker
15th Nov 2007, 01:09
At my earliest, I'll post info on the cause. All the moral support is greatly appreciated. I said it a year ago, she will fly....again. Sheet metal fixes are cake. Art already has parts coming. We will go over the Pegasus. No damaged noted aft of the cockpit.
As we have said over and over... we'll fly in two weeks.:D

flightmaker
24th Jan 2008, 21:02
Hey guys! does anyone have or can you steer me to a Dowty Seal part number reference ie: part number to dimentions?

also looking for part numbers for the hose and pipe fittings used throughout the SHAR, We know they are British Standard pipe parallel (BSPP) but the ball end of the pipe is driving our suppliers nuts. they all want us to re-invent the wheel.

We are in work on repairs to her and expect to get her back in the air by the end of FEB. "you know... two weeks...

Art Nalls
16th Jul 2008, 21:49
Well, we're making progress. The hydraulic system (with an emergency blow down system installed and tested) has been exercised, bled, and serviced. 8 gallons of fluid used to top it off and I don't think the system holds 8 gallons. It's in there somewhere.

All the struts have been reserviced, including the nose strut, and all the tires checked. For the first time in 8 months, the airplane is off the jacks and on the ground.

We did a couple of short cycles on the GTS to ensure that it has oil to it (remember it's been dry for 8 months) and it started on the first serious attempt to do so. No problems, and we've got 4 spares.

Our EFIS is in place, instead of the original HUD, the seat is reinstalled, and MOST of the sheet metal work has been completed. We expect to have that done and near ready for paint, this weekend. We also expect to start the ground runs again to check the accels, pressures, and have the hyd system running on its own power, not the ground power unit. Once we deplete all the remaining fuel, we'll re-do a weight and balance due to all the wiring, clamps, fasteners, and HUD removed. I expect we've removed 60 lbs or so, all from the nose, so we've got to recheck our balance within acceptable limits.

We're shooting to have her in the air the first few weeks of August. If we can make that schedule, we're shooting to have the FAA requirements satisfied and our FIRST AIRSHOW in September.

As with all the airshow promoters, they want the SHAR, but are out of money. This airshow is within 80 miles of home base and has a crowd in excess of 250K, so this is worth the gamble to show people THIS IS REAL.

To offset our costs, we will be posting on Ebay to sell the advertising rights to the top of the wing and vertical fin for this first show. Hopefully, we can get enough to cover the fuel costs to get it there and back.

We're moving out now!

Art Nalls

Double Zero
18th Jul 2008, 22:59
Art,

great news !

While we don't have figures to hand, my father who was 439's first crewchief reckons 8 gal's of hydraulic fluid sounds a lot !

Then again, as you say, where could it go ?

Like the sound of your airshow plans, wishing you and your team all the best.

Andy

flightmaker
23rd Jul 2008, 16:16
Most of the hyd fluid went into a bucket as we bled the system of all the air we bled every port at least three times to ensure ALL Air was out of the system per the manual. Some of the eight gallons was also blown out during the multiple ops checks of our emergency blow down system. So, not all of it is in the system. The system is serviced per the manual, fluid and nitrogen pre-charge to the resevior and the accumulators.

Anyway, for all that root for us a very humble and grateful thank you.
and those that don't ....well you don't matter to us. We're going flying.........

in The only civilian owned and operated SeaJet.