PDA

View Full Version : Any News on Precision ATR42 RWY Overrun in NBO ?

Zenj
9th Jul 2007, 14:36
Im told that a PrecisionAir ATR42 has crashed on landing or seems to have veered off the runway with heavy damage to the aircraft.while landing at Jomo Kenyatta , Nairobi.

No casualities at this time but aircraft heavily damaged.

I dont see any report on kenyan papers

Anybody with more information please !

planecrazi
9th Jul 2007, 16:50
I remember years ago, the same thing happened at Wilson airport, with an Eagle Aviation ATR42 (1994-1995 I think). We all saw it the next morning, whilst awaiting start clearance. It landed 07 and made a new runway 09, by clearing a path to where it had stopped.

On this occasion, it was easily repaired and I think told not to come to Wilson again.

s2h
11th Jul 2007, 09:55
could you shed a bit more light on the Eagle ATR crash, by any chance was it one of the ATR's that ended up at Exec Turbine?

planecrazi
12th Jul 2007, 20:45
It landed on rwy 07, not sure if they took reverse sooner on one engine, or if it was hard landing and burst right main tyres. It went deep into the long grass and was registered in Tanzania (5H). It was leased for the operation to operate regional flights, I believe, and was painted, blue, yellow, and red, along with the rest of the Eagle Let 410's.
Wilson is narrow at the best of times and short for such an aircraft, finger out on the narrow dark, badly lit strip.

s2h
13th Jul 2007, 03:41
you dont by any chance happen to remember its reg? thanks.

planecrazi
13th Jul 2007, 12:05
No, don't remember that, but it was Tanzanian. Check the register in those years. I think it may have been Precision. Not many ATR's in Tanzania then.

3rd Mar 2010, 14:33
Was this the one? Just found this pic on the net.

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/epic-fail-precision-landing-fail.jpg

planecrazi
3rd Mar 2010, 15:04
and Was this the one? Just found this pic on the net.

The one that I saw leave the runway, was at Wilson airport somehwere around 1994-95. It hand landed on rwy07 and departed to the south into the mud completely. It belonged then the Eagle Aviation and was coloured in red, blue yellow on white if I remember. It used to fly with the call sign "Magnum" c/n 0040 (serial number).

We arrived at work to see and ATR had gone farming, so we did see it with our own eyes.

I am sure Foxcotte would remember this one from those years ago

savannah
3rd Mar 2010, 15:06
Similar incident on B732 belonging to Air Tanzania went off the runway in Mwanza Airport 2 days ago, as you read this the plane is still sitting on runway! the "Super Pilots" said one engine failed on landing that's why the plane went off runway, while both thrust reverses deployed, I wonder if its true..... guys search for more news on different links:cool:

Soap Box Cowboy
3rd Mar 2010, 22:35
Please don't let it be our shiny new one. If it is our old one then I don't mind too much :E That pic on here is of a 72 that had issues doing a smooth landing in Jomo, not Wilson.

Soap Box Cowboy
6th Mar 2010, 01:32
All ATR's accounted for. The new 42 is breaking speed records. A joy to fly, finally a hot and high performer. Max loads out of every field and most likely the fasted turbo prop out here, except for the parked Dash-8 in Jomo, anyone know who's it is? I hear the Air Zara (Nature link leased) Embraer 120's are pretty fast, but we can carry more. Anyone know how fast they are? Too bad the 42's are still under 20 tones, otherwise I'd want to fly her all the time.

Oscar84
6th Mar 2010, 13:34
Max speed for the emb120 is VMO 272 knotsMax FL 320

9-er
6th Mar 2010, 16:58
The ATR42 that went off Runway 07 at Wilson (late 1995, don't remember the exact date) was actually French-registered (F-GHJE) and was serial no. 070. I have some old photos of it at Wilson. It was replaced by serial no. 041, initially registered as F-ODUE and later as 5Y-INT. F-GHJE was repaired after the accident and returned to France.

atpcliff
8th Mar 2010, 13:27
Hi!

The fastest (still in production) turboprop that I know is the Piaggio Avanti.

Max 400 kts.

Max FL410.

cliff
NBO

Oscar84
8th Mar 2010, 13:57
I'm sying Indicated AirSpeed,not at FL...I never say that Embraer is the most faster...

flyingsheikh
25th May 2010, 07:52
hahah those super pilot are still there on the chair smoking shisha and the management didnt take any serious action to abscond from the position.The fact was the CRM was poor taking into account one of them was an instructor and too much know guy.The aircaft did a non precision approach and was too high but they forced it to the ground one of the pax was my friend and he said the did a hard landing and the water from the runway entered the engine and caused flame out unfortunately they landed far from the theshhold and they applied thrust reversers when one engine was out and that caused the aircarft to veer the runway...shame on them especially that super pilot whom soon will be out for good

jetpet
25th May 2010, 14:39
sheikh, could you please re write your thread, in english this time......

the jet