PDA

View Full Version : Formula 1 ruined my ears (tinnitus)

Poontang Luva
9th Jul 2007, 13:08
Hello all,

Just a bit worried and hope one of you can help.

After i got back home (9hrs after the event) from ydays Silverstone GP, when i was in a quiet room I had a slight ringing tone in my ear.

Still have it today. I cant hear it with background noise, ie when im driving in a shopping center etc. Only in a quiet room.

I've never been to a rock concert etc, but i've heard its quite common after an event like that.

How long, if you ever experienced it, did it take to disapate if ever? And if it didnt how did it affect your medical.

I knew I should put my earplugs in but those screaming engines sounded too damn good.... DoH

El Peligroso
9th Jul 2007, 14:45
Silly boy! :uhoh: Those machines are SERIOUSLY loud - another day or two and you'll be fine.

Sat next to some Dutch guy once at F1 in Malaysia. As the cars lined up on the grid (we sitting opp the pits on start finish straight) I banged my ear plugs and and noticed that the Dutchman had none. I offered him a spare (unused) set but he politely declined and said that he "was a F1 veteran and used to the noise".

20 laps later he asked for the earplugs. :D

VIVA FERRARI

Blinkz
9th Jul 2007, 15:04
I have permanent tinnitus after a childhood full of rock concerts, its not too bad and I managed to pass my class 1 initial fine with it. I only really notice it in quiet places, however sometimes I can have trouble hearing people in a loud room (say at a party or something)

I'm now more careful of my hearing and don't listen to music loud, I also have an ANR headset to try and protect my ears more!

Hufty
9th Jul 2007, 15:38
Hi Matey, don't worry about it - it will almost certainly disappear in a few days. It is very unlikely that you've done permanent damage to your hearing in just one episode.

I have tinnitus all the time (too many loud clubs etc as a student!) but like you I can only hear it if it is very quiet. As you get older I think you lose a few of the lower frequencies anyway, but I think it has to be pretty bad before the CAA have a problem with it.

A2QFI
9th Jul 2007, 18:49
Re hearing loss related to age, the frequencies that are lost are the high ones, ie bird song, leaves rustling etc.